What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Piper glen vs. Jacuzzi 470/480  (Read 10405 times)

slash007

Piper glen vs. Jacuzzi 470/480
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »
I have been wavering back and forth between the artesian piper glen and the Jacuzzi 470/480 and I was hoping that I would receive some input from the great group of guys here.  I have emailed a couple of individuals on this site and have received their opinions, but was still undecided and was hoping that some more input would sway me one way or the other.  I really, really like the individual pumps, directflow switches and variable controls on the piper glen, but I like the feeling of the jets, the stereo, waterfall, control panel, and over aesthetics of the Jacuzzi much better.  Jacuzzi wise, I did not want a lounger and was considering the 470, but by looking at the pictures,  the lounger on the 480 only takes up an extra seat that is small and I was thinking that if I got the 480 I would at least have the option of the lounger without giving up much space, but I haven’t decided.    I got the piper glen down to $10850 +tax with stereo, and $10500+tax for the 480 with stereo, so there is not much difference.  The 470 would be $500 less.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance:)

Hot Tub Forum

Piper glen vs. Jacuzzi 470/480
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Piper glen vs. Jacuzzi 470/480
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
Based on your comments that you like the feel of the jets, the stereo, the waterfall, the control panel, and overall aesthetics better on the Jacuzzi, I would go with the Jacuzzi.

The key thing you said was you preferred the feel of the jets.  That, along with comfort of the seating, is one of the most important things in making your decision.

Your pricing is all within a few hundred dollars and that doesn't sound like an issue for you, so, not taking anything away from Artesian, I'd go with the Jacuzzi.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

slash007

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:35:05 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I have started leaning toward the jacuzzi, but every time I do so, I start thinking about the convenience of the individual pumps and variable controls of the piper glen.  I am also undecided between the 470/480.  Anyone have any input in regards to the lounger of the 480?  How is it in comparison to other loungers?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:05 pm »
I would have to hear from JacuzziJim, but $10,500 for a 480 with stereo sounds really low.  Does it include steps and lifter?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

slash007

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:29:36 pm »
Yes.  At first it was steps only, but I got them to throw in the lifter.  They price the 480 exactly $500 more than the 470 so that one was 10k even +tax with stereo.  One thing I liked about the jacuzzi dealer is that they are family owned and that their prices were good to start with.  They did not start off with a very high price that I had to then talk them down.  The only negotiating I did was the lifter.  One thing that is not included is the ozonator.  Is that something that I should consider adding if I get the jacuzzi?  It is included in the piper glen.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:26:53 pm »
 10,500 for the for the J-480 is pretty dang low,lower than we sell it for about $2000 low. ;)

slash007

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »
I am about to pull the trigger on a jacuzzi 470.  Anyone have any input on the exterior lights?  I was thinking about adding those.  The cost would be $150 and I didn't know if I would enjoy having them, or if after getting them I would think it was a waste.  Thanks.

slash007

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:15 am »
Well, I've decided on the jacuzzi for sure, but now I'm wavering between  the 470 and the 480.  I tried the lounger in the 465, and it was horrible, but I've been reading that the lounger in the 480 is much better, so I have been considering it.  Problem is that no dealers around me have a 480 for me to wet test, so it looks like I'll have to make the decision blind.  Does anyone have any input regarding the lounger in the 480?  Is it significantly better than the lounger in the 465?  One thing that I didn't like about the 465 lounger was that I could not feel the calf jets at all since my legs were always floating a bit.  On the 480 they seem placed closer to the foot jets, and there are also wrist jets, but I have no idea if they are actually any good.  Thanks.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:46:30 am »
I wet tested both the J-465 and J-480. There was nothing I liked about the J-465 including the longer. I don't know why Jacuzzi continues to make the J-465. The J-465 only has one diverter valve and half of a foot dome. The J-465 was my first Jacuzzi wet test and I almost walked away from the entire brand.

I then drove to Arizona to wet test the J-480 and it was like night and day. The J-480 and the Sundance Maxxus has the best loungers I wet tested. The only bad thing about loungers is that you relax and close your eyes and when you open your eyes you find you have floated away to Kansas.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:59:58 pm »
 The 465 is a horrible design in my opinion, we brought one in and it took forever to sell.

The lounge in the J-480 is ok but like I mentioned in my e,mail its not for tall/large people, it realistically is designed for a women.  The thing about the J-470, if you kick back in a seat  stretch your legs across the foot dome, your lounging baby!!  

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 05:50:11 pm »
The thing about the J-470, if you kick back in a seat  stretch your legs across the foot dome, your lounging baby!!  
Exactly it's like having four loungers.
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

slash007

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04:26 am »
Well, I took a trip today to a jacuzzi dealer about an hour and a half away and was able to wet test a 470, and I was blown away.  After the wet test I was completely sold on the jacuzzi over the piper glen.  He did have a 480 in the showroom, but unfortunately it was dry, so the best I could do was dry test it.  The lounger was night and day over the 465 which is a horrible design, but without testing it wet I really can't tell if I would like it or not.  Like Swell-tub, after wet testing the 465 I actually decided right then that I was getting the piper glen as I was very unimpressed, but after reading some posts here about how the 470 was much different, I decided to give it another shot, and I'm glad I did.  Without being able to wet test the 480, I don't think that I want to risk not liking it, so I think that I'm just going to go with the 470.  The lounger seems very nice and is a million times better than the 465's lounger, but I feel like I can't go wrong with the 470, plus I would have more available seats.  The only way I was going to get the lounger was if I was able to test it and it blew me away.  Dry testing it, I can see how tall people would not like it as it is not long at all.  I am 5'10, so that would not be a problem, but either way I don't know how it would feel wet.  The advantage to having it that I can see would be the foot jets which I know feel really good based on the 465 test, but also the calf and wrist jets, but I have no idea how they would feel.

I do have one question though, on the jacuzzi website the pictures show a full color control panel and and ipod dock that is part of the stereo, but all of the tubs I have seen have the b/w control panel and the ipod dock is separate from the radio.  Is that  a new feature for 2009?  The dealer I saw today said that they had a lot of problems with the new control panel so they stopped using them until they could work out the bugs, but I feel like he just wanted to sell me the floor model that he had.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all of the insight and the helpful replies.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »
 Its not that they had a lot of problems with the new topside, the problem was getting them from the manufacturer from what I understand. Still a very nice control.
   As far as the stereo goes all the 09s are shipping with the new JBL system which sounds fantastic, you can upload your music to the system kinda cool and yes the Ipod and stereo are all in the same box,  The ones you are seeing are 08s and they sound good as well!

slash007

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
Well, I just placed my order for a 470.  My dealer confirmed just what you posted, that I would get the JBL system, but the older controls.  He said the they were on a huge backorder and that they had no eta for getting them back in.  I was more concerned with getting the jbl system as that is something I would use much more than the system controls, but that color control panel does look very, very nice.  Aside from the looks, I was under the impression that the new control system would also control the stereo, unlike the older panel.  Is that so?  I know that there is a remote that does it all, but it would have been nice to be able to control the stereo from the tub in case the kids lose the remote.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »
Well, I just placed my order for a 470.  My dealer confirmed just what you posted, that I would get the JBL system, but the older controls.  He said the they were on a huge backorder and that they had no eta for getting them back in.  I was more concerned with getting the jbl system as that is something I would use much more than the system controls, but that color control panel does look very, very nice.  Aside from the looks, I was under the impression that the new control system would also control the stereo, unlike the older panel.  Is that so?  I know that there is a remote that does it all, but it would have been nice to be able to control the stereo from the tub in case the kids lose the remote.  

The new control does control everything and yes you will get a floating remote with your new spa,  Congrats on the purchase!!   What colors did you go with??

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42