What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Cayman52  (Read 17214 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Caym
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
I just did a basic Google search, and there are far more companies that support Microban than those that are against it. Many of them aren’t even in the spa industry. Just because some companies don’t use it doest make it worthless. This countertop company sure is a believer in it.  Here is what this counter place had to say about all of the benefits Microban provides:

http://www.granitdesign.com/en/microban.aspx

Sorry Dan, I missed that you alreay linked to the same thing I did.

Just because a company "believes in it:....aka uses it as a marketing ploy, doesn't mean it's true. Show us an INDEPENDENT, SCIENTIFIC, PEER REVIEWED study proving it has any benefits. You say it does, we say it don't. We shouldn't have to prove it doesn't. The PROOF should be in that it does,
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »

Water Boy

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 09:16:44 pm »
So who does one decide to believe? The manufacturer itself or one study done by a competing manufacture that doesn’t use the product. According to the article that doc reposted, it says that it is against the law to state that microban makes spas healthier. But, if you read the microban website, its states just that. I don't think that ONE study by ONE person makes anything fact of fiction.
http://www.microban.com/americas/products/category.html?lang=en&CategoryID=1&SubcategoryID=25

http://www.microban.com/americas/products/category.html?lang=en&CategoryID=1&SubcategoryID=42
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 09:23:33 pm »
So who does one decide to believe? The manufacturer itself or one study done by a competing manufacture that doesn’t use the product.

A manufacturer saying their product works as advertised is the equivalent of someone telling me how beautiful their baby is.  ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »
This is quickly turning into a dead horse, but here is some more fodder for you all.

What kind of proof do you have that Microban Antimicrobial product protection is safe?

MICROBAN has undergone extensive independent laboratory testing and has been proven safe. It is registered with the EPA for all applications in which it is used. Furthermore, MICROBAN is registered with the FDA for specific end-use medical applications. Products with MICROBAN protection have been used safely in medical applications for over ten years, such as in surgical incise drapes, hospital bed mattresses and pillow ticking.
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/hottubfaq.html

Summitman

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:19 pm »
This is quickly turning into a dead horse, but here is some more fodder for you all.

What kind of proof do you have that Microban Antimicrobial product protection is safe?

MICROBAN has undergone extensive independent laboratory testing and has been proven safe. It is registered with the EPA for all applications in which it is used. Furthermore, MICROBAN is registered with the FDA for specific end-use medical applications. Products with MICROBAN protection have been used safely in medical applications for over ten years, such as in surgical incise drapes, hospital bed mattresses and pillow ticking.
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/hottubfaq.html

Oh Beerman, you should know better than include the medical field now!   Talk about marketing schemes!  Kind of like the good ole 100% no by-pass filtration!

;D

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »
So who does one decide to believe? The manufacturer itself or one study done by a competing manufacture that doesn’t use the product. According to the article that doc reposted, it says that it is against the law to state that microban makes spas healthier. But, if you read the microban website, its states just that. I don't think that ONE study by ONE person makes anything fact of fiction.
http://www.microban.com/americas/products/category.html?lang=en&CategoryID=1&SubcategoryID=25

http://www.microban.com/americas/products/category.html?lang=en&CategoryID=1&SubcategoryID=42
Where in this statement does it say microban makes spas healthier?

"There’s no better place to seek relaxation and relief from stress than a spa. However, the high temperatures and wet environment can make an unprotected spa surface a target for the growth of bacteria. Look for a spa or hot tub with a non-porous Lucite® surface and one that offers the added protection of Microban® antimicrobial product protection. Microban protection inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause stains and odors on the surface of the spa. The continuous antimicrobial cleaning action makes your spa surface easier to clean and keeps it cleaner between cleanings. Microban protection is not a substitute for normal water treatment chemicals."

It claims it makes the surface easier to clean.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Summitman

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »

"There’s no better place to seek relaxation and relief from stress than a spa. However, the high temperatures and wet environment can make an unprotected spa surface a target for the growth of bacteria. Look for a spa or hot tub with a non-porous Lucite® surface and one that offers the added protection of Microban® antimicrobial product protection. Microban protection inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause stains and odors on the surface of the spa. The continuous antimicrobial cleaning action makes your spa surface easier to clean and keeps it cleaner between cleanings. Microban protection is not a substitute for normal water treatment chemicals."

[glow]It claims it makes the surface easier to clean.[/glow]

So if the surface is easier to clean, then that means its NOT a marketing ploy.  Im pretty sure that this is what we have been trying to say, its provided for a reason, not a marketing scheme.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:01:20 pm by waylon33 »

Water Boy

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 10:03:29 pm »

"There’s no better place to seek relaxation and relief from stress than a spa. [glow]However, the high temperatures and wet environment can make an unprotected spa surface a target for the growth of bacteria[/glow]. Look for a spa or hot tub with a non-porous Lucite® surface and one that offers [glow]the added protection of Microban® antimicrobial product protection. Microban protection inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause stains and odors on the surface of the spa[/glow]. The continuous antimicrobial cleaning action makes your spa surface easier to clean and keeps it cleaner between cleanings. Microban protection is not a substitute for normal water treatment chemicals."

It claims it makes the surface easier to clean.

Oh, I guess it didnt come right out and say it but... ::)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:24 pm »

Oh, I guess it didnt come right out and say it but... ::)

Marketing ploy by insinuation?   ;)

Obviously, some people fall for it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:49 pm »

So if the surface is easier to clean, then that means its NOT a marketing ploy.

Sure, if it were proven to be true then it would be more than a Marketing ploy.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 10:53:18 pm »
Com'n dude. The manufacturer says it's true...the salesmen selling it say it's true... ain't that proof enough?

Water Boy

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »
One other thing that should be noted about the Aristech article is that is states that Microban doesn’t kill or slow the growth of bacteria. Whereas Microban doesn’t claim that it slows or kills bacteria. Microban states that it inhibits the growth of bacteria. No where in that article does it state that it tested for that, or prove that it did or didn’t do that. It says that it showed a 0% reduction in bacteria that was placed in this study, but that is not what Microban claims it does. It claims it inhibits the growth of bacteria, and that study didn’t test for that. Really they are just changing some words around and rolling with it. Kind of funny that article was put out there by their biggest competition. That article proves nothing really.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:03:58 pm by Happy_Madison »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 12:29:24 am »
So its beneficial for countertops, but not on spas. You dont say...  ::)

Yep you're right "too much beer man"...  ::)

Is a bath or hot tub made with Microban "healthier?"
Absolutely not. In fact, manufacturers of Microban-treated acrylic sheet are not allowed by law to even imply that they are. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will not allow Microban Products Company, or any of its customers, to make claims regarding health benefits, such as protection from germs or disease prevention. Why? Because there is no specific evidence that any of the products treated with Microban are effective in preventing the spread of bacteria or disease

The above information from Doc's site is what I was speaking of in my earlier post.

And just so I understand your position... you recommend a product pushed by the manufacturers when in fact the company itself (Microban) nor its customers (manufacturers / dealers) can promote its "benefits"....?

Nah... no marketing there!!!   ;D ;D ;D

It's a unique selling position for some dealers whos competition isn't offering it. If I sold you on that one feature and you loved it (or was completely brainwashed by its wonderful advantages...  lol), you would most likely buy from me. Marketing 101...  Hell, they got you sucked in. Why not an extra 25-50 customers?  ::)

This ain't rocket science here and I'm not sure why this is such a stretch for you to grasp?  :-?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:35:48 am by Steve »

Water Boy

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:32 am »

Yep you're right "too much beer man"...  ::)

Is a bath or hot tub made with Microban "healthier?"
Absolutely not. In fact, manufacturers of Microban-treated acrylic sheet are not allowed by law to even imply that they are. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will not allow Microban Products Company, or any of its customers, to make claims regarding health benefits, such as protection from germs or disease prevention. Why? Because there is no specific evidence that any of the products treated with Microban are effective in preventing the spread of bacteria or disease

The above information from Doc's site is what I was speaking of in my earlier post.

And just so I understand your position... you recommend a product pushed by the manufacturers when in fact the company itself (Microban) nor its customers (manufacturers / dealers) can promote its "benefits"....?

Nah... no marketing there!!!   ;D ;D ;D

It's a unique selling position for some dealers whos competition isn't offering it. If I sold you on that one feature and you loved it (or was completely brainwashed by its wonderful advantages...  lol), you would most likely buy from me. Marketing 101...  Hell, they got you sucked in. Why not an extra 25-50 customers?  ::)

This ain't rocket science here and I'm not sure why this is such a stretch for you to grasp?  :-?

Read my last post Steve. I dont think anyone can credit or source anything from the Aristech article. It is claiming something that Microban itself doesnt claim. So imo, know one to date has discredited Microban like you are claiming.

For the record, I obviously sell a spa that has microban, but I dont remember that last time that word came out of my mouth on the salesfloor. But you bet your ass I will use it to my advantage when someone asks me about it or brings it up. Who wouldnt?? To the average customer that is looking for countertops or cutting boards or hot tubs, and they hear a presentation about Micoban and then benefits it provides, I bet you they would be more prone to buy the one that has it then the one that doesnt. If they like two things equal, and every feature is equal along with pricing, I bet you they would buy the one with Microban 9 times out 10. And that is what this is all about. Making the sale and making people happy.

Summitman

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

Aristech=Gospel of Spa Acrylic Shells  

(I didnt receive this memo in my intro to the spa industry several years ago)

In all seriousness, all that I am saying in all this is Microban adds value to the spa.  Whether it makes the spa easier to clean or actually prevents molding and other issues with the spa shell then it is WAY more than a marketing scheme that is being implied by the self proclaimed "Spa Acrylic Shell Experts" on this board.  

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:19:16 am by waylon33 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42