What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help me pick a small powerful tub  (Read 11857 times)

bonnyback

help me pick a small powerful tub
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »
I would really appreciate some advice on the best small hot tub that has powerful jets and would be helpful for low back pain.  Some key considerations for me:

The tub will be on a nice outdoor brick patio in Eastern Washington state.
If the best performance will be with a 220v system, I can arrange to have the appropriate electric service installed.
The tub is just for me and is for severe back pain.  I really want something that will feel therapeutic.  If a "full-size" tub is the only one powerful enough I will consider that.
I have no interest in waterfalls, color lights, cup holders, music, etc.
I have looked at the Jacuzzi J-315 but it doesn't seem to have many jets and it doesn't have any of the most powerful ones.  I want something powerful and durable.  The J-335 looks like it has the jets I would like but I was hoping to find something smaller.

Do you have any recommendations for me?  I am most keen to get something soon.  However please make genuine recommendations and not just a brand loyalty sales pitch.  This is my first post.  I really thank you in advance for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

help me pick a small powerful tub
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »

Water Boy

Re: help me pick a small powerful tub
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:58 pm »
I would check out Arctic Spas, and take a look at the Arctic Fox.

It is their smaller spa, but it is one of their top sellers, and even though it is smaller, it still has all of the same features and benefits as their larger spas. It is 86x69 and is 39" tall. A lot of smaller spas seem to shorten up the cabinet and aren’t very deep, but the Fox has nice depth to it at 39". It is also available in four different jetting packages, so you can choose which one bests fits what you are looking for. You can learn more here at www.arcticspas.com. Good luck in your search for the perfect spa.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

bonnyback

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:40:57 am »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  This is just the type of advice I need.  I will check this out.

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:59:05 am »
Check out Marquis and HotSpring

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:26:13 am »
Check out Marquis and HotSpring

Ditto.

Hot Spring Jetsetter.  ftp://http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/spa_model_jetsetter.html
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:21:56 am »
The tub is just for me and is for severe back pain.  I really want something that will feel therapeutic.  If a "full-size" tub is the only one powerful enough I will consider that.
I have no interest in waterfalls, color lights, cup holders, music, etc.

A full sized tub will have two pumps and a lot of jets whereas a small tub will have one pump and fewer jets. However, don't assume the larger tub has more theraputic jets. In reality the plumbing/jets/pumps are designed to provide a certain flow/pressure per jet so the jets in that small spa should feel the same as the jets in that large spa as they balance jets/pump.

If its really just for you I'd advise you to look at some of the 3 person spas (which are more like 2 person) from some of the better spa makers like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Summitman

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:00:32 pm »

A full sized tub will have two pumps and a lot of jets whereas a small tub will have one pump and fewer jets. However, don't assume the larger tub has more theraputic jets. In reality the plumbing/jets/pumps are designed to provide a certain flow/pressure per jet so the jets in that small spa should feel the same as the jets in that large spa as they balance jets/pump.

If its really just for you I'd advise you to look at some of the 3 person spas (which are more like 2 person) from some of the better spa makers like [glow]Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance[/glow].

and Arctic.

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:07:12 pm »

A full sized tub will have two pumps and a lot of jets [glow]whereas a small tub will have one pump and fewer jets.[/glow] However, don't assume the larger tub has more theraputic jets. In reality the plumbing/jets/pumps are designed to provide a certain flow/pressure per jet so the jets in that small spa should feel the same as the jets in that large spa as they balance jets/pump.

If its really just for you I'd advise you to look at some of the 3 person spas (which are more like 2 person) from some of the better spa makers like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance.

The Arctic Fox has two options available with two pumps, so not all of the small spas have just one pump. Also, the Arctic Fox Signature has 24 jets and the Ultra has 24 jets with 14 air jets, so they have plenty of jets for a small spa, and they both come standard with two pumps.

Even though Spatech doesn’t include Arctic in his "top list", they are one of the more respected and better brands out there today. The Fox is a very comfortable spa, and I would definitely go check one out in person. Here is a good list of spas that I would recommend taking a look at. These were all based off of existing customers who own the spas.
http://www.spasearch.org/topspas.php
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:08:06 pm by Happy_Madison »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:27:07 pm »

Even though Spatech doesn’t include Arctic in his "top list", they are one of the more respected and better brands out there today. The Fox is a very comfortable spa, and I would definitely go check one out in person. Here is a good list of spas that I would recommend taking a look at. These were all based off of existing customers who own the spas.
http://www.spasearch.org/topspas.php

Arctic not being one of the spas I listed was certainly not meant as a slap. If I'd gone deeper I'd have included them as well as Artesian, Beachcomber and maybe a few others. Obviously my list is nothing more than MY opinion.

On the other hand I hate seeing that list you quoted as something supposedly coming from existing customers as I can’t believe it’s really what it purports to be. Sure, they may have gotten a few recommendations from customers so there was some truth in it but as long as it includes Master it just seems to be invalid. I wish we could vote them off the island and then maybe that list would be more platable!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:29:29 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Water Boy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

On the other hand I hate seeing that list you quoted as something [glow]supposedly coming from existing customers as I can’t believe it’s really what it purports to be.[/glow] Sure, they may have gotten a few [glow]recommendations from customers so there was some truth in it [/glow]but as long as it includes Master it just seems to be invalid. I wish we could vote them off the island and then maybe that list would be more platable!

First you say that it is a supposedly done study and you cant believe it, but then you say there is truth in it, so which is it? There is really no other list like its kind out there, so it is far better than opinion. Here is how Spasearch comes to their results:

Spasearch Certified™ companies were awarded this highest honor by achieving high scores on stringent customer satisfaction surveys tabulated by an independent team of third-party auditors. The surveys completed by loyal consumers ensured that these companies received the recognition they deserved.

mjb

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:40 pm »
Check out the Sundance Capri.
It is 220v only.
So generally you get a larger pump then most
110v/220v spas.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

First you say that it is a supposedly done study and you cant believe it, but then you say there is truth in it, so which is it? There is really no other list like its kind out there, so it is far better than opinion. Here is how Spasearch comes to their results:

Spasearch Certified™ companies were awarded this highest honor by achieving high scores on stringent customer satisfaction surveys tabulated by an independent team of third-party auditors. The surveys completed by loyal consumers ensured that these companies received the recognition they deserved.

I don't see why you find an inconsistency in what I said. I didn't want to totally stomp on this list and therefor said "supposed" followed by "they may have gotten a few recommendations from customers so there was some truth in it". I simply have trouble believing Master could have passed FULLY if their customer base was really adequately sampled and for that reason I wonder if this isn't too dissimilar to the Consumer's Digest awards.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:38:58 pm by Spatech_tuo »

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 05:06:06 pm »
Check out Bullfrogs 451 model
Bullfrog 451

bonnyback

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »
Wow!  I got a lot more replies than I expected and I thank you all very much.  I looked into the Artic Fox model quite a bit and it looks very good with lots of jets but then I saw an online discussion (can't remember where) in which many people were having leaking water through a lamp cover and lots of service calls in general.  That did make me a bit nervous but is not necessarily a dealbreaker.  There was also a lot of talk about the motor getting too hot and I do worry about that because it can be really hot here in the summer.
I saw a tub called the Belize Oval II that is nice and small but I think it is only available online.  The HS Jetsetter is a possibility.
I need to do more research on the other models mentioned here:  Marquis, Sundance, D1 and Caldera.  Again, thank you for having such a great resource.

Vanguard

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:39 am »
I saw a tub called the Belize Oval II that is nice and small but I think it is only available online.  

Stay away from ANY HOT TUB that is only available online.  There are scams and cheap, cheap, crappy spas that are online only.  This is a product that needs a dealer for delivery and service.  If you get one online, you'll be on your own.  I've heard of situations where people have ordered the hot tub online and never saw it.  They were just totally scammed.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42