What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2 brands of test strips at odds  (Read 2769 times)

canecreek

2 brands of test strips at odds
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:52 pm »
Running out of Qwik Dip strips that came with the spa, bought Pool Time[TM] 6-way test strips (say pool/spa)

Qwik Dip registers 5-10ppm Bromine, Pool Time registers 0

Is there a better brand, or does everyone here use wet chemical tests?

I really don't want to shell out $50 for a kit.

Hot Tub Forum

2 brands of test strips at odds
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:52 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 2 brands of test strips at odds
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:34 am »
I'm sorry, but I don't know why they are so far apart. One possibility is that the bromine is WAY over 10. If so, it can bleach out the color on the new strips and show as zero. Of course, it may be showing much lighter colors on pH and TA as well, if bromine IS that high. To find out if this is true, take a half-cup of water from your spa and dilute it with a half-cup of tap water. Dip. If the reading is now up on the scale, then you know you have an off-the-chart reading on the high end. If the bromine level is really high, you may have to use 1/4 cup of spa water and the rest tap.

Liquid test kits are more accurate, but I have found test strips do a good enough job to keep a spa safe and clean. If you are counting costs, the price of a liquid test kit is usually recouped. I have no idea how long it will take to do so, your mileage may vary, but it usually comes back pretty soon since you are paying a couple bucks for refill reagents instead of $15 or so for a new bottle of strips.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

canecreek

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »
Hey that helped!
I tested three times: full strength, half and a third tub water
1:1 This time the bromine tester turned purple around the edges, indicating 6ppm there and stayed indistinct in the center. I'm using tablets so if that's right it would be a bit high - which I would expect having left the tablets in all night.

2:1 The half strength test showed 2ppm and the 3:1 didn't register at all.

All tests showed the ph/alk a bit high; decreasingly so as tap water was added.

Oh also when I pulled the cover up I _smelled_ bromine/chlorine/whatsit - that's got to count for something, right?

So... lousy test strips? They're dated 2010/05 at least.

Ok, think I'm looking at a wet tester.  I know how to use 'em.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:57:38 pm by canecreek »

TubsAndCues

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:02:25 pm »
I'd recommend either the BioGuard 1200V test kit or a Taylor.  I think the Taylor is a bit better (even though I sell the 1200V), but the 1200V is easier.

That, or just take your water to your dealer once a week.  I enjoy when my customers bring in samples to me a regular basis.   I can help simplify their water issues, and also, if they ever do have a problem with their tub, they have back up in saying that they haven't neglected their tub!  That's a big deal - especially during warranty!

The best part is, I love seeing my customers and getting to know them on a personal level as well.  It's through that kind of interaction that we both benefit.

canecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions - I didn't even know I could take water to the dealer.  It's a bit of a drive but as you say, probably worth it for several reasons.  I'll inquire.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42