What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: any opinions on MAP?  (Read 1891 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
any opinions on MAP?
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:55 pm »
Minimum Advertised Pricing

I just got notice from yet another company that's instituting MAP pricing. Any feelings on MAP pricing?  ;)

Personally, I'm not against it...though, not really for it either.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

any opinions on MAP?
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:55 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: any opinions on MAP?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:39 pm »
I think I am for it.  However, it seems there are always ways around it.  What companies have it?  Do they enforce it?  How?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:00 pm »
Leisure Concepts used to have it. Basically if you didn't follow it, they wouldn't sell to you. The amount of work to enforce it was so overwhelming, they dropped it after about 2 years...and yes, there WERE easy ways around it  ;)

This new company (and for now I wont mention the name...though, PH me if you really want to know. There's a web page on their site about it) has addressed many, if not most of the "ways around it"...though I question the legality of their MAP, I ain't spending the money on attorneys to try and argue it. For one thing, their MAP program singles out internet dealers and specifically says brick and mortar companies don't need to follow the MAP pricing (not really an issue as far as I'm concerned, but still....I'm not sure the legality of this singling out). Their "penalty" for not following the MAP is denying the use of any of their trade marks or copyrights (how can you sell a products if you can't even mention it's name  ;D ). They even have tried to cover ebay sellers.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »
Vance and Hines does this on their exhaust pipes but I have never paid the advertised price (not even close).

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42