What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tip or not to tip  (Read 16720 times)

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
Tip or not to tip
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »
We will be getting our hot tub delivered within a couple of weeks. What is your experiance in tipping the following people:

1. The electrician or is it already included in his charges?

2. The delivery people and how much per person and do I give it to each or the head guy?

Thanks in advance for your input. I just want to be prepared and make sure the services that I receive are appreciated!
Angie

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:26:41 pm by aduvall »
2008 HS Soverign

Hot Tub Forum

Tip or not to tip
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Tip or not to tip
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »
Angie,  You will probably get many replies, but I will offer what I did. There were 4 guys that delivered my tub. I gave the two technical guys each $50.00 because they not only helped move the tub, but they also got things going and assured that everything was right. The other two helped with moving the tub to my back yard and up on to the deck. I gave them  each $25.00.  I have no idea if this is the norm, but it was what the best I could do to show appreciation for a good job.  :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:47 am »
Tipping never even crossed my mind!  Delivery and set-up were included in the price, so....

I don't tip the furniture delivery guy, the kitchen appliance delivery guy, the roofers, the plumber, the electrician, or the UPS man either.  I do tip my waitresses well!

If I had to do it over, I still wouldn't.    :)

I should also say that the distance from the street to the backyard was maybe 40 yards, flat ground, no issue coming through my wide gate, and there was no crane involved.  The tub was set into place so quickly I was not even able to celebrate it with a photo.  From start to finish, the crew was here for maybe 30 minutes.  Great guys!  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:34:16 pm by kervis »
2005 HS Vanguard

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »
Kervis, you are probably right. If my husband knew I did that, he would have a fit,  although he is a generous tipper in restaurants. :) I don't know... :-/.. I'm very mixed on this..but that's what I did..That was how I felt that day..and that's what I did...

I'd like to hear from some of the dealers..do your service guys or delivery crew expect tips?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:10:53 pm »
I am on the service end and I would suggest not tipping, offering some cold water or maybe something hot if cold outside.

You are paying for a service so they are already getting paid.

I have been offered tips in the past but I have always refused them.

This a topic that that makes me boil, I hate it when people expect tips and I do not think tipping should be part of any business. Like the places that have a tip jar set up, I will leave and give my business elsewhere. I was on rental car shuttle bus one time and the driver had a tip jar set up, I never rented from them again and told them why.

If you are being paid for a job you should do it to the best of your ability and not only work harder if you think you are getting a big tip.

The acronym T.I.P.S. pisses me off, To Insure Prompt Service. You should expect that regardless.

Certain states have different wage scales for waiters/waitress', in those states I will tip if the service was adequate on the other states I will not tip.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:26:04 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

michiganwinter

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »
I didn't offer a tip; never even thought of it (now feel like a heel). I offered hot chocolate and/or hot tea (it was cooooollld) but that was refused. I think most service people would feel a little odd about taking a tip, although I have tipped furniture delivery people in the past. The spa guys are usually professionals and might take offense, although they also might appreciate it! I hope a number of them chime in as to preferences.

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:58:42 pm »
It would be interesting to know if the delivery guys do expect tips or if they are offended by it. I would hate to offend someone by not giving or giving a tip.

Are thier any delivery guys or Hot tub reps on here that can express a word or two on this?

Thanks
2008 HS Soverign

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:22:01 pm »
I have delivered many, many spas, I would not be offended but I would refuse.

I would not understand anyone be offended by someone offering them money. If a stranger offers you a tip it is impossible that they could offend you. You may be offended but that is your issue.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Kialda

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:03:06 am »
We will be getting our hot tub delivered within a couple of weeks. What is your experiance in tipping the following people:

1. The electrician or is it already included in his charges?

2. The delivery people and how much per person and do I give it to each or the head guy?

Thanks in advance for your input. I just want to be prepared and make sure the services that I receive are appreciated!
Angie

Angie,
  Thank You for having the class and a caring heart to care about others. In 30 years in this industry
 I have never accepted a tip from a customer, but everytime they offered I simply said, please, if you are happy with the job my staff has done, feel free to tip them.
   A tip is just that, a tip. You give it only for exceptional service, if you feel your inatallers have done a great job, please feel free to give them a 20, they will love you for it. I dont feel you should ever tip the owner of the company if he is also there or also the salesman if he shows up to help. But the delivery crew will think the world of you.
   As far as the electrition goes, I always use the same theory with all the people that do work around my house. If they own the company, NO. If they are an employee and I am impressed with there work then yes.
   Offering a cold bottled water goes a long way also.
Dont ever feel a tip is nessessary, a tip is a bonus for great service, that is something the restaurant industry forgot about a long time ago. To them it is expected. A required tip to me is not a tip, its a tax..

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »
Kialda,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. All sounds great!

I've decided. If the delivery guys give exceptional service, I'll tip them.

And if the the owner of the company or the salesman show up to help I'll be sure to thank them for thier product and services.

As for the electrition.. I'll give him his asking price.

Thanks so much for your valuable input!!!! :)
2008 HS Soverign

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:43:51 pm »
I have delivered many, many spas, I would not be offended but I would refuse.

I would not understand anyone be offended by someone offering them money. If a stranger offers you a tip it is impossible that they could offend you. You may be offended but that is your issue.

I agree. Thanks for your input.
2008 HS Soverign

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:41:51 am »
I tip nearly everyone, the garbage man, delivery people, it it appreciated by everyone and people seem to go the extra mile because of it.  It shows appreciation.  I can put nearly anything out to the garbage and it is taken, repeat deliveries from stores are always prompt and they make sure it is dropped where I want it, even offering help inside which they do not have to do.  Good Karma.

A buddy of mine works for a plumbing supply, a customer tipped him $20 for delivery, he bought other employees breakfast the next day with it, everyone is happy.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:42:31 am by Hubjeep »

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:54:54 am »
I tip nearly everyone, the garbage man, delivery people, it it appreciated by everyone and people seem to go the extra mile because of it.  It shows appreciation.  I can put nearly anything out to the garbage and it is taken, repeat deliveries from stores are always prompt and they make sure it is dropped where I want it, even offering help inside which they do not have to do.  Good Karma.

A buddy of mine works for a plumbing supply, a customer tipped him $20 for delivery, he bought other employees breakfast the next day with it, everyone is happy.  

Wow! You tip the garbage man.  :-? Thats a new one for me. Thanks for sharing, your probally one of the few.. but no doubt a man with a good heart!  :)
2008 HS Soverign

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 01:22:42 pm »
Wait staff TYPICALLY only get a VERY small base pay ($2/hour?) and would actually not be able to afford to do their jobs if all they got was the base.  I ALWAYS tip at LEAST 15% unless the service was SO poor that there was an issue.  In those cases, I typically ask to speak to a manager about the problem.

We tip (kinda) other service people around the holidays (mail man, guitar tutor, etc).  We did NOT tip the spa delivery guys.  The reason we did not tip them was because they (1) Were late (2 hours behind with no call), (2) Were rude to my wife, (3) Wanted to deliver the spa on "their terms" rather than mine (long story).

In contrast, we did tip the delivery guys (from Lowes) who delivered the new Washer-dryers even though they said "We can't take tips".  We told them that it wasn't a tip, we were buying them lunch...which they accepted.

In short, tipping has it's place and should be used when appropriate.  Bonnibell was doing "what was right" and I commend her for "taking care" of the delivery guys.  If the service is good, offer them $20 (It's usually just two guys so that is $10 each and should buy them lunch.  No matter how many of them there may be they can split it).  if the owner of the company comes, thank him for the service but probbaly don't tip (He may have a policy against accepting tips and he makes his $'s selling the spas anyway).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:25:14 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »
I spoke to Senor Tony, our delivery crew chief, about this just the other day.  He has been delivering our spas for 23 years and said that he probably has 5 or 6 people per year that give him a tip.  He said that some people will give him and his crew $20 a piece, but that he has had people toss a C-note at him on occasion.  Sometimes, they give him a case of cerveza, which is always appreciated.  Tony is probably the highest paid delivery guy in the industry and makes a very good living from our company as well as picking up a tremendous amount of residual business on the weekends.

Personally, I am a very gracious tipper.  I had to wait tables in college and relied heavily on tips as the salary at the time was only $2.01/hr.  It was a great training ground for learning how to treat people right and I firmly believe that anyone who chooses a profession that relies heavily on public interaction should have to wait tables at some point in their life.  It would teach them a great deal about customer service.

If I get mediocre to poor service at a restaurant, I will only tip a couple of bucks.  If I get adequate service, I tip 20%.  If I get exceptional service or the waitress is a hot chick, I will tip up to 100%.  I love to give tips to people who perform above and beyond, whether it's the pizza delivery dude, the limo driver, the massage parlor maitre' dame, or Fat Roscoe who works the ropes at the Reo Palm Isle.  They will remember your gratitude and they will take care of you.

But, to aduvall, do not feel obligated to tip the delivery guys.  It is appreciated, but it is not expected.

Terminator
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:55:53 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42