What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How cold is too cold to add water?  (Read 7410 times)

michiganwinter

How cold is too cold to add water?
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:29 am »
I have to add more water to the tub, but it is frigid out right now. Is there a limit to the temperature on when it is safe to use a hose (obviously remove it when finished) outside to top off? I looked in the manual and saw nothing, and it may be more of a question on how cold is too cold to use outdoor plumbing.

Any experiences?

Hot Tub Forum

How cold is too cold to add water?
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:29 am »

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: How cold is too cold to add water?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:27 am »
Schlep it out with buckets--one after the other.  Obviously the bigger, the better.  Every time I go out to check the chemistry or whatever, I bring out a filled up milk jug.  That way it doesn't get too low on me.

If you do use your hose, remember to then turn off the water to that spicket from [glow]inside[/glow] the house, then turn the outside one back on to drain any remaining water from that pipe.  No big deal.
2005 HS Vanguard

michiganwinter

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
Thanks Kervis, we don't actually have any indoor shut offs for the outdoor spigots (freeze free types - not quite sure I believe that). I have topped off at least twice with the hose in the last month but it has been warmer. Can't really do the buckets because of having a softener inside the house and only the outside spigots diverted from the softener. Otherwise that is a great idea. Just won't work for us.  I'll call my plumber; he'll probably have a solution.

Thanks again!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:59:27 am »
We have the "freeze-free" spigots too.  The one by my tub is also in the sun.  So far, so good.

Double check your water softener info.  Ours was specifically hooked up so that only hot water was run through the softener.  I don't think you'd  want to be drinking that stuff on a regular basis. :-?  I just assumed that all were set up that way.

That's why when we boil water for noodles, we fill up with cold instead of hot--you don't want the extra salt.

Check your kitchen/bathroom faucets for deposits around the base.  That would let you know that your cold water is hard.
2005 HS Vanguard

michiganwinter

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
Ah, hadn't thought about that. We have an RO system for drinking/cooking and we don't have much build up. I keep forgetting to fill the softener tank too, so I don't know how soft our water really is (jk). Have a call in to the plumber; hope it won't be ages before he calls back. I want to soak!

michiganwinter

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:44 pm »
Well I went ahead and topped her off again in spite of it being cold out (my computer reads 24 but it sure felt colder than that!). Hopefully the freeze-free faucet will hold! Never did hear back from my plumber and wanted to do it before the temps dipped again.

Crossing fingers and hoping for the best!

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »
Another option for next time around:

Go to your local saltwater fish store. They can fill your buckets with RO water for around .25 cents a gallon or sometimes free if your a regular customer.  

I know at this point I'd give .25 per gallon for top off. But of course I'm sitting here waiting for the snow to melt enough to have mine delivered.  :)

ENJOY!!!!
2008 HS Soverign

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 06:00:56 pm »
Michigan, no worries, I topped my tub off the other day and it was fine. The frost free spigots have the shut offs deep inside of the plumbing so they are warmed by your house. Problems with those occur if you decide to leave your hose on and the frozen water backs up causing the pipes to burst. I know first hand about that!! :o :-[  You should have no problems topping off as long as water can flow through a hose ;). Be sure to drain your hoses after you fill though ...I use a short hose and hang it to drain near the tub. (or you can bring it in to stay warm so it won't be so stiff when you need it). Topping with soft water won't cause problems either.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

michiganwinter

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »
Thanks Bonibelle! I did top it off and I store the hose inside the house so it won't freeze anyway. I appreciate your explanation about the freeze-free spigot since my plumber didn't call back (bad Kurt!).

Is it normal to have to top off every 8-9 days? Seems like we lose a lot of water getting out and through evaporation/steam. It goes down about 2-3 inches in that period of time, if even shorter.  

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:09:54 pm by michiganwinter »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 06:30:11 pm »
WE've talked about spa blankets on here quite a few times. In addition to helping with insulation, protecting your cover from chemical degradation, I believe it also helps prevent evaporation when the tub is covered. At least I can honestly say I notice that I don't top off as often when I have a spa blanket..so that is real unscientific, but it is my observation. ;)

michiganwinter

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »
I hadn't even read or followed those threads at all, thinking that my new tub with new cover would be sufficient (it sits under a deck). Sounds like the evaporation happens when the cover is closed as well, I hadn't even thought of that and thought it came from all the steam that goes into the air with usage.

Learn something new every single day!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »
You really shouldn't have evaporation with a good cover, and I have a good cover..but I am saying that I definately notice less evaporation with a spa blanket...maybe it is just me :-/

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:18 am »
Two to three inches in that period of time is normal with the temps as they are and your use.  I try to fill once per week during winter.  I use a bucket and generally have to add about five gallons due to evaporation.  It is much greater in the winter because of the dry air, even with a good cover.  Most happens with the cover off while you use it.  I also notice less evaporation with my blanket in place.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:08:30 am by tony »

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:10 pm »
We have the "freeze-free" spigots too.  The one by my tub is also in the sun.  So far, so good.

Double check your water softener info.  Ours was specifically hooked up so that only hot water was run through the softener.  I don't think you'd  want to be drinking that stuff on a regular basis. :-?  I just assumed that all were set up that way.

That's why when we boil water for noodles, we fill up with cold instead of hot--you don't want the extra salt.

Check your kitchen/bathroom faucets for deposits around the base.  That would let you know that your cold water is hard.

So you don't wash your cloths in soft water than if its only hooked up to hot?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »
I was wondering about that too..Why just the hot? To protect the heat coils in the water heater? Many people have softners to remove iron, so that wouldn't help to only use it on the hot lines.  Now I am really curious Kervis.... :-?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42