What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Breaker Tripping  (Read 7745 times)

Swift

Hot Springs Breaker Tripping
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »
We have a 04 HotSprings Vanguard that unfortunately had to sit for 10 months during our move to Memphis. I finally got all of the wiring complete and it came up like a champ... until I turned on the jets. Everytime I turn on the jets or the clean cycle it will run for 2-3 minutes and then the 20 AMP breaker pops.

It has been running for a week now with the same on going problem.

Did I do something wrong with the wiring or is this a problem that will require service?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Breaker Tripping
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hot Springs Breaker Tripping
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:47:54 pm »
Most likely it is the wiring.  Do you have the wiring diagram?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:06:16 am »
We have a 04 HotSprings Vanguard that unfortunately had to sit for 10 months during our move to Memphis. I finally got all of the wiring complete and it came up like a champ... until I turned on the jets. Everytime I turn on the jets or the clean cycle it will run for 2-3 minutes and then the 20 AMP breaker pops.

It has been running for a week now with the same on going problem.

Did I do something wrong with the wiring or is this a problem that will require service?
Could be a wiring problem but I would unplug the ozone and try it again.

If I remember correctly you should have a hot wire going to terminal 2 and another hot to terminal 4. Your nuetral should be to terminal 5 but comming off the breaker itself not the bus bar. The pig tail from the breaker should be at the buss bar.

It does sound like ozonator though....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:14:39 am by stuart »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:46:06 am »
Could be a wiring problem but I would unplug the ozone and try it again.

If I remember correctly you should have a hot wire going to terminal 2 and another hot to terminal 4. Your nuetral should be to terminal 5 but comming off the breaker itself not the bus bar. The pig tail from the breaker should be at the buss bar.

It does sound like ozonator though....

Except the ozonator is tied to the circ pump not the jet pumps. He said everthing is fine until he turns on the jets so it shouldn't be the ozonator.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:57:33 am »

Except the ozonator is tied to the circ pump not the jet pumps. He said everthing is fine until he turns on the jets so it shouldn't be the ozonator.
Didn't pay attention to that part... :-[

I was trying to think of what could happen in the move...I've seen moisture get into the capacitors on the motors and cause tripping after the spa was moved.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »
If the spa was sitting somewhere were it gets real cold it will thicken the grease on the bearings which will make starting the motor a little more difficult. If the motor sounds like it struggles a bit on start up. Start up amps are always much higher than running amps and it the motor is struggling a but it will wear on that breaker.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Swift

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »
It sat out all summer in the southern heat, but rather mild winter. 15 or 20 degrees a few nights but mostly 30's. I do have the neutral into the bus and not the breaker, so I will try that.
Thank you

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »
I'm not a tech, but I wired my own spa.  I know you have to follow their wiring diagram exactly or the spa won't work properly.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42