What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?  (Read 8402 times)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:12:09 pm »
They are actually quite light when empty.  Should not be a problem.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:12:09 pm »

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 10:20:55 am »
We moved our 5 year old tub from MD to FL this past summer using a moving company.  They took great care in wrapping it up, etc.  Problem is they got re-routed so ended up taking a tour of the Midwest before making it down a week later.  Not sure if related to the move, but ended up having a leak in one of the jets, replacing a heater and a pump motor.  Coincident?  But the Ozonator made it fine.  Bottom line, glad we moved it instead of buying a new one for 10K.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:10 am »
Hot tubs are considered personal property (much like a refrigerator) and are not typically included in the valuation of a property....

Really?  I would have thought since the tub was hard wired to the house it became a fixture.  

(short pause.)

I did a bit of research and the hot tub can either be seen as real or personal property. If the tub is built into the deck, hard wired to the house, or plumbed to the house, it may be seen as real property and included in the sale.  

however if it sits on a pad, and uses a hose to fill it, and has an standard plug, it personal property.

My point is I would make it clear to potential buyers whether the tub is included or not, and if not,  is it availbale for an additional price?

07 Caldera Geneva

michiganwinter

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 10:41:44 am »
Personal property is anything you can take with you. A refrigerator, unless built in, is personal property even though it is wired.  A hot tub can be pulled out of a hole in a deck, much like an above ground pool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:43:52 am by michiganwinter »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:20 am »
Personal property is anything you can take with you. A refrigerator, unless built in, is personal property even though it is wired.  A hot tub can be pulled out of a hole in a deck, much like an above ground pool.

Just about everything can be "taken with you".  I can disconnect chandeliars, toilets, roof shingles, mail boxes, and hot water heaters. That alone doesn't make it persoanl property.   You can't leave a hole in the deck, or remove something that would damage or lessen the value of the property.  (sheds, flower beds, come to mind).   In some circumstances a hot tub can be consided part of the property.  

My point was that in some cases it could be considered real property and it's in everyone's best interested to identify it as being included or not (or negotionable) from the beginging.
07 Caldera Geneva

michiganwinter

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »
It's okay drewster. I am just giving you my opinion as a 25-year veteran of the real estate industry (20-years as an appraiser, the prior as a agent)  ;D  As an appraiser, it would be very unlikely that I would ever place any value on a hot tub. Maybe (because you never say never) but very very very unlikely.  In the real estate industry, hot tubs are considered personal property.

From the Society of Real Estate Appraisers, Real Estate Appraisal Terminology-revised edition:

"Personal Property - Generally, movable items; that is, those not permanently affixed to and a part of real estate. In deciding whether or not a thing is personal property or real estate, usually there must be considered (1) the manner in which it is annexed; (2) the intention of the party who made the annexation (that is, to leave permanently or to remove at some time): (3) the purpose for which the premises are used. Generally, and with exceptions, items remain personal property if they can be removed without serious injury either to the real estate or to the item itself."

This is probably one of the best descriptions of personal property that I have seen.  Not trying to belabor a point because we are in agreement for the most part.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:06:59 pm by michiganwinter »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 01:01:51 pm »
Your second defintion is better than your first one of "anything you can take with you"    ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:30:32 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

michiganwinter

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »
"can" was missing in your quote. I was working on brevity, not conciseness. This is a good definition though (the one from the old Society).

Cheers (where is the raise a glass emoticon anyway?)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42