What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?  (Read 8403 times)

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:52 am »
Hi all,

First off, although I am the with the department of redundancy department, I did try and search the forum for "move", "moving", "relocating" but the info was sketchy at best so here I am.  

Facts:  We have a nearly 3 year old Sundance Bahia that we love.  We are currently in NE Ohio and hopefully will be relocating to the Laurel Highlands area of PA within the next 6 months and we are trying to evaluate the benefits of selling the spa with the house or moving it with us.  We will be using a moving company for the larger stuff anyhow so adding the tub to the list isn't a huge deal.  

I guess the main concern is the integrity of the tub and it's compenents.  Any and all thoughts and experiences and hints would be appreciated as I have no clue what to expect price wise or what questions to ask.  Is it risky for leaks etc.  

Thanks all and happy new year!

Dave    
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:52 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Relocation and hot tubs:  Worth it or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:29 am »
This is an interesting quetion...

First and formost I'd check with Sundance and see if moving the tub affects the warrenty in any way and/or if there are conditions to moving it.  (must be moved by a sundance dealer or some such factor).

My brother in law took my 05 Tiger river and we had it proffesionaly moved to his house (about 85 miles). Everything went well, and he's had it for a year. However, he did develop a leak behind the water fall.  He fixed it himself no problem, but I wonder if the move had anything to do with it?

The other factor is  does the hot tub add value to you current property and would the new owner see value in it,  or not?  

Like a pool some people may see the hot tub as a liablity and not want the tub.   i'd talk with your realator and get thier impression. Perhaps offering the hot tub as an extra to the property for an additional price may be the way to go? If a buyer loves the tub, and wants it and is willing to add a few grand to the selling price, I'd leave it with the house, and put that cash, and the money saved from moving it towards a shiney new tub.

If a new buyer doesn't want it, I'd take it with me.  

It the new buyer wants it, but won't pay extra and finding home buyers is tough in this market, I'd leave it with the house.

Another consideration is the new location.  Remember, you're going to need a pad (or reenforced deck) and electrical.  Are you going to be able to install and use the tub relativly quickly, or are you going to be overwhelmed with the move, the new house and have a huge list of "to dos" right out of the gate? will the hot tub sit drained and not conneceted becoming a lawn orinment?  If so, That's another vote to leave it.

so...
-Consider the value of the tub and cost to replace it.

-Cost of transporting the tub and consider if you can hook it up right  away and value it would add to the new place

-the value of the tub to the buyer of the property.

- and rememeber there some great deals out there on new tubs.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:46:04 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:54:50 pm »
 As far as Sundance/Jacuzzi go you can relocate the spa and still maintain the warranty,we recently had a guy call that moved his Jacuzzi from Portland Or, to Bellingham Wa,  a pump failed and we were authorized by Jacuzzi to fix it for him.

I would use someone that knows how to move a spa though!!  

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
I have some experience with this.  I have tried to sell two different homes with a hot tub.  In my particular situations, I didn't find the hot tub helped my values at at all.  

I had to list my house at a competitive per square foot price.  I couldn't really add much for the hot tub.  I ended up selling my hot tubs separately to someone other than the home buyer.  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:04:18 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:11 pm »
Great reply!  CRAP...forgot to include information:

We are going to interview at least a couple realtors to get their advise/impressions on the property in general and will be asking about the hot tub.  

Also, we already own the home in PA so the move won't be quite as dramatic as it could be.  It is currently a vacation home in Hidden Valley, a ski resort close to Seven Springs in the Laurel Highlands.  I have plans for installing a free-standing platform for the tub and have consulted an electrician to evaluate our electrical service etc.  The move will be roughly about 170 miles.

I have the full owners manual for the Bahia but nothing in there about moving the tub.  I do see lots of "hot tub movers" when doing web searches but I would imagine any reputable mover has the procedures.  I will certainly check with Sundance re: warranty info and possible procedures.  

My wife really wants to take the spa with us as long as the integrity is relatively assured which is why I was checking in here.  I'm sure many on the board have moved tubs and was wondering how they made out.  

dave

Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »
I have some experience with this.  I have tried to sell two different homes with a hot tub.  In my particular situations, I didn't find the hot tub helped my values at at all.  

I had to list my house at a competitive per square foot price.  I couldn't really add much for the hot tub.  I ended up selling my hot tubs separately to someone other than the home buyer.  

Curious....did you consider moving the tub when you relocated?  If so, what happened and if not, why not?  

I don't expect to be able to ask/receive more for the house with the tub necessarily.  Similar to a pool, it only adds value depending on the buyer.  Idealy, I'd like to spend maybe $1K to $1.5k to move it and have it hooked up at the new place IF I can reasonably expect it to be leak/problem free, as it's been for nearly 3 years.  

Dave
Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
As far as Sundance/Jacuzzi go you can relocate the spa and still maintain the warranty,we recently had a guy call that moved his Jacuzzi from Portland Or, to Bellingham Wa,  a pump failed and we were authorized by Jacuzzi to fix it for him.

I would use someone that knows how to move a spa though!!  

Good to know!

I will call my dealer today and present the situation to them.  They've got all my info since I purchased the spa from them.  I will follow up here with info they provide and also when we meet with realtors and get their input.

Dave
Better than I deserve...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:50:14 pm »
Where in NE Ohio?  180 miles isn't out of line that the dealer or someone in either area who moves tub professionally might consider doing the job.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »
IMO, it would be well worth taking it with you.  It should not be extraordinarily expensive to move it.  You are correct, leaving it behind will add no real value to the sale of your house.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:04 am »
Where in NE Ohio?  180 miles isn't out of line that the dealer or someone in either area who moves tub professionally might consider doing the job.

Just southwest of Cleveland in Strongsville.  We bought from Litehouse Pools and Spas just about 3 years ago and got a pretty good deal from them.  I heard rumors they might be expanding into other states bordering Ohio but nothing solid yet.  I will check with them to see what info they have to offer.  

Dave
Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:26:49 am »
IMO, it would be well worth taking it with you.  It should not be extraordinarily expensive to move it.  You are correct, leaving it behind will add no real value to the sale of your house.

I agree.  My wife does as well and we did get a decent deal on the Bahia a few years ago so to replace it so soon seems, well, not frugal!  

I'll assume, but will check, that moving involves placing it as well.  The tub will be around back of a townhouse.  It has access but will need to be moved down an incline.  Hmm.....

Dave
Better than I deserve...

Vanguard

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »

Curious....did you consider moving the tub when you relocated?  If so, what happened and if not, why not?  

I don't expect to be able to ask/receive more for the house with the tub necessarily.  Similar to a pool, it only adds value depending on the buyer.  Idealy, I'd like to spend maybe $1K to $1.5k to move it and have it hooked up at the new place IF I can reasonably expect it to be leak/problem free, as it's been for nearly 3 years.  

Dave

I had a unique situation where I was going to be getting a new tub on the first move and moving to an apartment for a year on the second move.  So, I didn't need to take the tub on the first one and couldn't on the second move.

Now, let me tell you, with the first house, the people that bought the house were negotiating price and after they had moved down in price all of a sudden wanted the hot tub included.  There was no way I was going to do that after they had already negotiated down on the price.

My realtor suggested that the tub be listed separately in the listing.  I don't really remember why, but that was her suggestion.  I remember her reasoning made sense at the time.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

I agree.  My wife does as well and we did get a decent deal on the Bahia a few years ago so to replace it so soon seems, well, not frugal!  

I'll assume, but will check, that moving involves placing it as well.  The tub will be around back of a townhouse.  It has access but will need to be moved down an incline.  Hmm.....

Dave

If I were you, I'd take it with me.  My home did not see any additional value added because of the hot tub.

michiganwinter

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 02:41:31 pm »
Hot tubs are considered personal property (much like a refrigerator) and are not typically included in the valuation of a property. For that reason as well, it makes sense to offer it separately as the Realtor suggested. It is kind of a nice last minute bargaining chip, but chances are there will be very little, if any, value added by selling the tub with the house. If it does stay, it should be on the bill of sale for personal property items.

That said, it sure seems to make sense moving it if it doesn't cost too much and doesn't compromise the tub.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:56 am »
Hot tubs are considered personal property (much like a refrigerator) and are not typically included in the valuation of a property. For that reason as well, it makes sense to offer it separately as the Realtor suggested. It is kind of a nice last minute bargaining chip, but chances are there will be very little, if any, value added by selling the tub with the house. If it does stay, it should be on the bill of sale for personal property items.

That said, it sure seems to make sense moving it if it doesn't cost too much and doesn't compromise the tub.

I think vs. buying new it certainly makes sense to take with.  The big question is whether or not the integrity of the tub will hold.  I'm assuming the tub is like us when we get older, we don't move as well!  The vibe I'm getting is that it's worth it all the way around to take it with us and just check with Sundance/our dealer for specific details.  

Thanks all for the input.  

Dave..
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42