What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Virginia Graeme Baker Act  (Read 3970 times)

Vanguard

Virginia Graeme Baker Act
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:58:37 am »
I thought I had seen something asked about whether or not portable hot tubs would be affected by this new law, but I couldn't find the thread.  

This new law requires that all public pool and hot tubs have new compliant drains installed by this Saturday and that no non-compliant drain cover can be sold or manufactured.  If your public pool is out of compliance, then the pool must be shut down until it does comply.

The question came up about portable spas.  Apparently, existing portable spas are grandfathered in, but, new spas must comply.  Not sure how they have to comply or if the type of drain cover already in use in most spas complies, but apparently, new hot tubs will be affected by the legislation.

"The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals says its existing drain covers are safe and wants Nord's agency to recognize that new equipment entails a flow level below what is needed to run a portable hot tub, said spokesman Dick Wolfe.

Wolfe said virtually all the 70 or so hot tub manufacturers in the country would go out of business if they had to build their spas to meet the new requirements. The group has asked CPSC for an exemption for hot tubs.

Scott Wolfson, spokesman for the CPSC, said the agency was reviewing the association's request." - Houston Chronicle
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:02:40 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Virginia Graeme Baker Act
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:58:37 am »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: Virginia Graeme Baker Act
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:16:11 am »
"...all the 70 or so hot tub manufacturers in the country
would go out of business if they had to build their spas to meet
the new requirements"
[/b]

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:26:20 am »
Vanguard,

Do you know if this were to pass on portable hot tubs, that would only apply if they were for public use like swimming pools correct? Or would they need to have that for private use as well.

As I understand it, the Virginia Graeme Baker Act only applies to commercial pools, not private pools. So I would assume(hope) that this would apply to hot tubs as well, but could be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:28:25 am by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:55:58 pm »
I think that's part of the problem with this law.  It is so unclear that nobody really knows exactly what everything means.  

From what I understand, it says portable spas and doesn't specify commercial.  The APSP is working to get some kind of clarification, and, if necessary, a waiver.

The thing is, most portable spas are built for residential use - not commercial.  So, why does the law include portable when this is primarily a commercial pool bill.

The intent of this law is good, but, go figure, Congress made a mess of it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:56:59 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:03:04 pm »
You see what happens when people screw up the financial systems ... you get all these strange laws passed. Maybe the spa industry can ask for some TARP money! (distressed industry?) Just don't go throw a shoe at Bush ... you may not get any TARP money.

Someone over at Doc's site asked about this. I thought something like this passed a long time ago.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
You see what happens when people screw up the financial systems ... you get all these strange laws passed. Maybe the spa industry can ask for some TARP money! (distressed industry?) Just don't go throw a shoe at Bush ... you may not get any TARP money.

Someone over at Doc's site asked about this. I thought something like this passed a long time ago.

It passed a year ago.  Compliance was to be within a year of the signing of the bill.  A lot of the places that are going to require all this new equipment will be paying thousands of dollars per location just to bring their facilities up to code.  

Imagine that...the government trying to over regulate an industry and those regulations could bankrupt some companies.  Who'd of thunk it ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:02:28 am »
First off, the law currently reads specific to "Public" Pools and spas.....

Second, the law requires that the system either "reverses the circulation flow, or otherwise provides a vacuum release at a suction outlet when a blockage is detected"

Most manufactures use a Bypass system of some kind that does just this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:02:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42