What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco tubs for $5500 would you get one???  (Read 19852 times)

Rockdoctor26

Costco tubs for $5500 would you get one???
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:14 pm »
Hey all, I'm still in the process of choosing a tub and budget is playing a major factor in my decision.  I was looking through the costco website and came across a number of tubs that were very inexpensive!  I just wanted to get some advice and suggestions about the Costco products.  

I know most people say that Costco tubs are cheaply made and have poor customer service and are poorly insulated but i've been doing some research and found out that on top of their manufacturer warranty they have a 24/7 hotline that helps troubleshoot your problems with you.  And they have a perimeter insulation package as well as insulation on the frame and tub itself...which is similar ot some of the major brands.  And i found out that the company that manufactures these models also makes some of the other major brands.

The Centurion 1061 tub has many of the features as some of the major brands discussed in this forum but at a fraction of the cost.  This tub is selling for $5500 and includes LED lighting, 61 jets, 5-layer insulation (which has the perimeter insulation as well as insulation around the the tub itself and on the frame) its not as fancy looking and doesn't have as many lights or have a stereo but is $4K cheaper than most of the tubs i've been looking at. Here is a link to the tub:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10317758&search=centurion&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=centurion&Ntt=centurion&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Costco is also selling the Pilates XP1 which is going for 10K and has the stereo, 92 jets with massage rollers and a programmable massage seat, led light (only one), the ozonator and the same insulation package as the centurion.  Here is the link to that tub:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299611&search=spas&Mo=83&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=spas&Ntt=spas&No=11&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

So would you buy one or would you shell out the extra 3-5K for one of the bigger names?  :-?

Hot Tub Forum

Costco tubs for $5500 would you get one???
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:14 pm »

MarKee

Re: Costco tubs for $5500 would you get one???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:20:10 pm »
I wouldn't do it.  Not only is the quality, energy efficiency, filtration, etc. inferior, but the biggest challenge is that all of the manufacturers that sell to Costco end up going out of business.  HydroSpa and Infinity Spas are a prime example.  I think you can return a spa to Costco within 1 or 2 years, but do you really want to go through that hassle?  Another thing to keep in mind with big box spas is that delivery is to your curb, not to your back yard.  You should be able to find a quality spa with similar features for $1,000-$3,000 more.  Where do you live?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:23:23 pm by Hideaway_King »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 03:55:23 pm »
Perimeter insulation? I was skiing in a snow storm with a buddy, and my "perimeter insulation" kept me nice and warm. Long underwear, a shirt, a sweater, and a nice down jacket. My buddy, SOB, he died of hypothermia. WTF? He also had "perimeter insulation"....though, it was only a T-shirt

Get the picture here  ;) ? Even when comparing apples to apples, a Granny Smith aint no Golden Delicious.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:59:07 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »

I know most people say that Costco tubs are cheaply made and have poor customer service and are poorly insulated but i've been doing some research and found out that on top of their manufacturer warranty they have a 24/7 hotline that helps troubleshoot your problems with you.  And they have a perimeter insulation package as well as insulation on the frame and tub itself...which is similar ot some of the major brands.  And i found out that the company that manufactures these models also makes some of the other major brands.

So would you buy one or would you shell out the extra 3-5K for one of the bigger names?  :-?

1) That 24/7 phone line has a different purpose than you think. That is SOLELY there to talk the customer into fixing their own spa. That is how they keep warranty costs down. It is simple; you will be the #1 service guy for your tub. With some DIYer type people, that's fine. That number is not there for you to say "please come fix my spa".

2) Doc's analogy is perfect. I'm not a fan of that type of insulation from any of the makers who go that route but there's is substandard by any comparison. They probably even have some sharp Marketing name for their insulation method like "Heat Miser" but it'll cost you double to run per month versus a well insulated spa.

3) Sure, they do manufacture for other brands but the problem is their quality is consistent across the board. They used to be called Hydro Spas. Then they changed their name to Tatum. Now they've changed it to Living Waters. When they change it again I'll come back to this post and add their latest name. In the end the name changes but the product stays the same.

I'm not saying this spa is overpriced. It’s just that it’s not a deal. It is what it is, a lower priced, lower quality spa where you will be the #1 service guy and getting warranty coverage is probably iffy. IFFFFF you are a major DIYer willing to take on a project then maybe its for you. If you want to buy and enjoy without on the job training as a spa tech then I'd look elsewhere.

4)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tom

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:38:25 pm »
Now just a dang minute!  Quit running down these bargain spas.

Our first hot tub was kind of  like that (not from Costco).  Not even as nice as that, because it only had two or three jets per seat.  We bought it for I think $3500 CAD so probably about $5000 in today's dollars.  It had about 3/4" of foam sprayed on the shell and nothing else for insulation.  We kept it inside a sun-room.  The walls of the room were insulated, so , insulation or lack thereof on the spa was no problem.

At first I would replace the jets whenever the ball bearings fell out, but after a while I stopped.  The jets weren't under warranty and cost $15 each.  Besides the jets still worked after they stopped spinning.  I fixed a leaky slice valve with epoxy and a C-clamp.  When the water pressure dropped, the dealer said to bring in the motor/pump.  It was really easy to take out, and I was able to run it into town (90 minute drive), leave it for them to test, and pick up the new one two weeks later.  No improvement in flow or pressure, but at least I had a new pump.  It was easy to install, too.  And the thing with the mice was amusing in retrospect (search the forum for 'mouse trap' and maybe you'll find that story).

That spa lasted four or five years with pressure and another couple without (still nicer than the bathtub for soaking) and I think it was worth what I paid for it.  At the end, the cover was in like-new condition (I had treated it per instructions) and the cedar siding still looked good (I sanded and stained it just before we sold the house  ::) )   The new owners threw it out and bought a new one.  I can't understand why, as the old one still kept the water hot.     :D

True story.  Were we foolish to go that route, or was that money well spent?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:06:31 pm by Graybeard »

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »
You should go into some dealers and see what they can do in the price point.  I ask all of our wholesale retailers if they have stuff to compete with the mass-merchant tubs.  They say yes, but sometimes don't get a chance to pitch because the mass-merchant customer never comes in.  People just assume that since it's Costco there is no way anyone can touch the deal and don't shop around.  IMHO if you run a spa store and don't carry something in that price price point (and I'm not talking about the 2 person soaker tub), you deserve to lose out to the mass merchants.  Most of the spa mfrs have lines to compete.  D1 has @home, Artestian has Island Spas, Sundance has the old Sweetwater line (680 series now I think).

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:34:27 pm »
The only way I'd buy one of those spas is if I were a certified spa tech looking for stuff to do in my off duty time!  ;D
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:40:41 pm »

If money is an issue maybe you should browse CraigsList.com
Here is one on CraigsList in Calgary.

Be advised though unless you buy a top brand from
a dealer there is always some risk.

[size=18]2008 Model Hot Tub - $2650[/size]

Date: 2008-11-12, 8:59AM MST

Relax and enjoy in your very own spa!!! 6 person hot tub
with built-in waterfall, 6 bhp pump, LED mood lighting,
comes fully loaded with mfg warranty and 24/7 tech support.
Cost $5200 Sell for $2650. Call 403-770-0212

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/for/915971605.html

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:02 pm »
For the most part; you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.   Would I blow $5500 on a Costco tub; never.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:03:03 am »
To put it bluntly, NO!
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:13 am »
I think last year Costco actually sold a Hot Springs Hot Tub but I don't see it on their web site...it was an internet purchase only

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:25:49 am »
This is the newest addition to the Hot Spot line, the "La Palma" from the people who bring you HotSpring spas. It is large, deep, has a large number of jets, is fully insulated, and can be ordered with a stereo if you wish. I have it on sale for just slightly higher than the price you have quoted for the off-brand tub. I may put one in my own backyard - depending on how my end-of-year sale goes.

I would see if you can find a deal on one near you - at least it is worth looking at.

Here is a pdf - http://hotspot.hotspring.com/pdfs/LaPalma_PDF_2008.pdf

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:55 am »
Chas....thats the type of foot dome I love!

gwstudios

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:30:22 pm »
The guy who sold me my spa said is was the best spa ever made and always will be. So I've got that going for me .... which is nice because I don't have to ever worry.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »
I've posted this many times over the years...

The manager of one of the local Wal-Marts bought a HotSpring Landmark from me.  His brother bought a HS Vanguard.  His parents bought a HS Jetsetter.  He referred the manager of the local Sam's Club who bought a HS Vista.  He referred his friend, the manager of another Wal-Mart, who bought a Tiger River Bengal.

When I brought up the fact that his company sells spas, his reply is that "I'll sell them all day, but there's no way I'd own one of them."

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:38:26 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42