What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I'm a first timer, ... some thoughts and questions  (Read 10774 times)

crowemojo

I'm a first timer, ... some thoughts and questions
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:07:49 am »
Hi!

I'm just now starting my first Hot Tub search, so before I get to the models and my thoughts and questions, a little back ground.

- I'm a single guy that lives by himself and likes to entertain, so I would like a large tub with a high capacity.
- I'm going to be putting the hot tub on a pad (like an EZpad, etc.), directly on grass in my backyard (mostly because I imagine I will be moving within 3-4 years, and will either use the hot tub to help sell the house or bring it with me).
- I don't really have a size restriction on the tub
- I can afford to get something nice
- I live in Northern Indiana; cold winters and hot summers
- I'm not a huge fan of loungers, but think it may be worth getting one just so that other people that use the tub with me can enjoy it
- In the hot tubs I have tested and experienced, I really enjoy ones that have good foot massaging jets.  My brother purchased a Sundance Maxxus based largely on the foot jets.
- I'm *not* looking for a sound system (or TV for that matter), and am not really swayed by any cursory features that aren't really hot tub physical enjoyment or performance related.
- Before you ask, or remind me of the importance of this, I will be wet testing every single one of the items I am considering!
- Every tub on my list is from a local dealer that has been around for a while.

Ok, so, that's where I'm coming from!  I'm considering the following:

Sundance - Optima
D1 - Sarena Bay, Amore Bay, or Nautilus
Hot Springs - Grandee
Master Spa - LSX 1000
Clearwater - Orlando Signature

Some more specific thoughts:
Sundance: This is what my brother got (he got a maxxus), and I enjoy his, but I want to keep an open mind in considering all my options, and don't want to pay more than necessary for anything (but who does, really).  I like the middle foot jets on the optima.

D1: I like the different layouts that are available and the tubs have a definite sexiness to them.  I look forward to wet testing these!

Hot Springs: I've heard so many great things about the Grandee, but from just looking at the pictures, it's hard to see why.  There seems to be almost a lack of foot jets.  I'll be wet testing it, so maybe that will explain some of the hype ;)

Master Spa: Before I get the deluge of comments about the companies marketing practices, let me first state that I live only 1.5 hours from Fort Wayne, where the main plant is, and my town has a local dealer that specialized in *only* master spas, and has been around for years and years.  So I will have local support, and won't be buying this from a fly by night type operation.  All that being said, the new waterbed type thing on the LSX 1000 looks awfully intriguing I must say!  Is there anyone on here that has one?  What do you think of that new feature?

Clearwater: This is mostly in the list because the D1 dealer is also a clearwater dealer, and even though I don't see them mentioned a ton on the forum, they do seem to be held in high regard, so I figured they should get at least my consideration.

Here are my questions:
- What are reasonable price ranges for the above listed hot tubs?  (No sound system, with an ozone system, and standard accessories, etc.)  It seems like price shopping on hot tubs is like pulling teeth, it just takes so much effort to get any prices!!
- Granted that the wet test is the ultimate distinguisher, is there anything that anyone would recommend keeping in mind as I assess and compare these different tubs?
- Does my plan to just use a plastic pad make sense given that I'm only going to be here a few years?  Also, I have a nice level back yard, can I just plop the plastic pad on the grass and put the tub on that?  I'm a pretty hands off guy when it comes to any sort of handy work, so anything beyond that will most likely involve hiring someone to do it for me.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
- Are there any major contenders that should be on this list, but aren't?
- Are there any questions I should be specifically asking all these dealers?
- Aside from wet testing, is there anything else I can do to make an apples to apples comparison?
- I know there are a lot of debated topics, often including acronyms I haven't bothered to look up yet.  Is there somewhere that can act as a good primer for these various topics, so that I can walk into the show room more knowledgeable and prepared (short of just trudging through the entire dead horse forums)?

I'm hoping to do a wet test marathon of these tubs soon, I will keep this updated as I go along.

Any and all responses are appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

I'm a first timer, ... some thoughts and questions
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:07:49 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: I'm a first timer, ... some thoughts and quest
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:01 am »
Welcome to the forum. Clearly you have done your reading. One thought on the lounger. Under your circumstancesI would get it. Almost certainly you will be using your tub alone on occasion. That is when I use mine the most.  We have a tub that seats 6, but its usually just my wife and I, so there is stlil room to move around even if we don't use the lounger.  Even though we frequently just sit in the tub relaxing, I am a power junkie when it comes to jets.   I like having the power when I want it. Last night I had sore shoulders from my weekend of curling and a tension headache in the back of my neck. The neck jets in my tub feel like they could be used to powerwash the siding, and my foot jet can lift short people out of the tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

crowemojo

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:28:03 am »
My main complaint with loungers is that I tend to float out of most of them.  I'm a very ... buoyant guy ;)

solo

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:56:23 am »
There are better places to get pricing info.  This forum is composed of a lot of sales people that probably don't want to shoot themselves or their colleagues in the foot, and I can't blame them.  But you might be lucky enough to get one or tow of them to send you a private message with some procing wisdom.  

In this economy, I think $7500-8000 should get you all the tub you need and good brand at that, like Jacuzzi, Sun Dance, Hot Springs, etc.  Test them all, don't fall in love in just one (or at least don't let your sales rep know that you are in love with just one), make sure all the sales people you work with know you are working with others, but don't tell them the models of the other tuns you are looking at.  Don't tell the sales rep how much you want to spend, you will never get them below thagt price.    Make them compete for your business.  Of the premium brands, I found the most value in Jacuzzi.  But that is highly subjective.  Buy what you like.  

If you don't have the bucks, possibly consider getting a used one.  

crowemojo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:53 am »
So far I've told the 4 local dealers I've met that I'm willing to spend around 6000, although honestly I'm willing to spend around 9000.  They know I'm looking at all the stores in the area as well.  I'm planning to wet test this Friday with 5 of my friends!  We are turning the whole string of wet tests into a quirky way to spend the afternoon in the winter ;)  How many times have you dealers had 6 people wet test?  I figured I might as well bring a full load to see how well these tubs handle it.

I wouldn't have any aversions to getting a nice used tub, but the only used ones I have seen in my area have been a bit dated and just not that exciting.  I would want a top of the line used, and it seems like there are only mid level or worse used tubs available at the moment.  This is definitely an option I'm keeping open though.  I've asked to be put on a notification list at the dealers that resell used hot tubs so that they will call me if something comes in.  So far the best option in this department is a Vita - Elan, for 3200.  I don't really know anything about it though, seemed like a nice price for a lot of tub.

crowemojo

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:07:40 am »
Sure!  I live in South Bend, IN.  There is a masterspa dealer that only does masterspa's, but also sells used stuff that they get in.  There is another store that does Clearwater and D1 and sells used hot tubs as well.  The third dealer is a hot springs dealer, and the fourth one is "The Great Escape" which carries Jacuzzi and Sundance, but not every single model.

The nice thing is that all 4 of these dealers are in a nice close proximity.  I would say that all 4 are within a 2 mile radius.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:16:29 am »
You can take the D1 list off as they are all well over 9k, with the Nautilus being the least expensive @ a minimum of $9600, the Optima and Grandee also are much higher than 9k. This leaves you with the Clearwater and the Master. You may want to up the anti a bit as you are looking @ spas that are all out of your price range at this point. I am not saying that you can't buy a great tub for between 6 and 9k, you absolutely can. They just will not be any of the ones on your list. The Clearwater and Master are in a diffferent category of spas than all of the others you have listed.
-SpaMan~

solo

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18:03 am »
STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY.  READ YOUR PRIVATE BOARD MAIL AND ERASE YOUR POST IMMEDIATLEY!!!!!!!!!

spaman--

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:39 am »
STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY.  READ YOUR PRIVATE BOARD MAIL AND ERASE YOUR POST IMMEDIATLEY!!!!!!!!!

That is awefully bossy of you!
-SpaMan~

crowemojo

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:35:10 am »
Spaman -- I've already been quoted 9000 for the Optima, and I do have a bit of give to my budget if the tub is the right fit ;)  At this point I've got an open mind and just seeing where it takes me.  Regarding the D1s, I know at least one of those listed would come in close to my budget based on my initial visits to that store.  Thanks for the info!

Solo -- Although I realize there are a *lot* of dealers that look at this site, and possibly even some that are in my area, I don't mind that.  If anything it just further establishes that there will be competition and that I'm going to be looking for them to make an offer that makes sense.  Besides, at the end of the day, I'm going to be making a decision to spend a certain amount of money in exchange for something I want.  I'm either not going to buy the tub becuase it's not the right time for me to do so or the numbers don't make sense, or I'm going to decide that it works for me and I'll buy it.  I'm not going to feel "taken advantage of" either way.  For what it's worth, I appreciate the sentiment and motivation behind that advice though ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:46:11 am by crowemojo »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:04 am »

DAD GUM!!!  That scared the crap outta me!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

spaman--

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
Spaman -- I've already been quoted 9000 for the Optima, and I do have a bit of give to my budget if the tub is the right fit ;)  At this point I've got an open mind and just seeing where it takes me.  Regarding the D1s, I know at least one of those listed would come in close to my budget based on my initial visits to that store.  Thanks for the info!

I have the pricing from D1 if I can help, let me know. That is a good price on the Optima, campared to my local dealer atleast. If looking @ the D1 I would encourage you to look at the Amore bay a bit closer as it has a ton of room and makes a great center piece for the backyard. I must say it sounds like you are totally in control and will not make a bad decision on the spa you purchase, wet test and buy the one that fits your needs the most.
-SpaMan~

crowemojo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:21 am »
Spaman -- Thanks!  If it's one of the ones I'm seriously considering after my first round of wet-testing, I'll definitely let you know and see how things stack up.  Again, thanks for the info!

Summitman

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:41 am »

wrong thread??? or wrong board???
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:59:10 am by waylon33 »

crowemojo

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:07:50 am »
Solo just didn't want me to show all my cards in a forum that may potentially be viewed by the people I am buying from, that's all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:07:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42