What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: does fix-a-leak work??  (Read 17028 times)

cathrone

does fix-a-leak work??
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:08 am »
I was given a used hot tub this summer.  Finally finished installing it two weeks ago and
got it filled with water.  Noticed a leak after the tub was 3/4 full.  Cut a new access panel
and chipped away the foam and found that the leaks (definitely more than one) originate
at a manifold (10 tubes are running into/out-of this manifold).

I managed to stop a couple of the leaks with some epoxy recommended by the pool
store that I go to.  But I can't see some of the other ones without trying to take some
of the tubes off.  I am a little hesitant to do this because they look kind of brittle.
I am thinking that having the manifold replaced would result in a chunk of the tub being
re-plumbed (and thus expensive).

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Fix A Leak or Seal-A-Leak.   Basically
you dump these products into the intake and it supposedly seals leaks from the inside.
Do these products work?  Is it a long term fix or only a bandaid?  Can they cause any
long term problems?

Appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,
  Craig Throne

Hot Tub Forum

does fix-a-leak work??
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:08 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: does fix-a-leak work??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:25:29 am »
Craig,

Our experience with Fix-a-Leak is all of the above.  For some it is a band aid. For some it seems to work as a longer solution.  for some it doesn't help at all.

I look at it as an inexpensive attempt before investing in a more expensive solution.

How much is it leaking?

Good luck.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

cathrone

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:33:27 am »
I haven't actually measured it yet, but I think I am losing about a quarter of inch a night.   In your experience, can I do any long term damage to the tub by using fix-a-leak??  For $16, I am definitely willing to try it but don't want to cause myself any long term headaches in the process.

Thanks for the reply,
 --Craig

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:20 pm »
Craig,

Our experience with Fix-a-Leak is all of the above.  For some it is a band aid. For some it seems to work as a longer solution.  for some it doesn't help at all.

I look at it as an inexpensive attempt before investing in a more expensive solution.

EXACTLY!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:55:31 am »
We have not had good luck with any fix a leak products. It sounds like the tub had water in the manifold that froze. Manifolds are not very exspensive, why not fix it correctly since you have it all opened up rather than have the pipes crack even more as time goes on.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:53:05 am »
The leak fixing products act more like a plug, not a glue. They don't work very well on leaks due to cracks. The reason is that when the pipe is pressurized, it will flex and just open up any seal that was made. Now leaking glue joints are another story...it works quite well there.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:59:55 am »
The leak fixing products act more like a plug, not a glue. They don't work very well on leaks due to cracks. The reason is that when the pipe is pressurized, it will flex and just open up any seal that was made. Now leaking glue joints are another story...it works quite well there.
Fix a leak will not work at all on a manifold...too much pressure like Doc said.

Change the manifold...It's time consuming and you will probably have to splice and extend some pipe but I would get to it now before the cold weather hits hard and you have a real problem!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
interesting reading, good to have you guys on this board.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

cathrone

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:44:06 pm »
Thanks for your help everybody.  It sounds like I need to replace the manifold.  When I do, I am positive some of the tubing going into it is going to crack (as I mentioned its somewhat brittle feeling).   Is there a way to splice tubing or I am I going to have to run all new tubing as well.

Thanks again,
  --Craig

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »
Thanks for your help everybody.  It sounds like I need to replace the manifold.  When I do, I am positive some of the tubing going into it is going to crack (as I mentioned its somewhat brittle feeling).   Is there a way to splice tubing or I am I going to have to run all new tubing as well.

Thanks again,
  --Craig
I usually cut the tubing and then use a heat gun to move or manipulate it. If it's vinyl I use barbs with glue and clamps,  if it's PVC I use PVC couplers and glue. If you have to glue it on the outside (PVC) then make sure to sand the surface slightly and always use primer.

Let me know what kind of plumbing is comming off the Manifold....

cathrone

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 01:58:42 pm »
It's vinyl tubing, it appears to use a barbed connection onto the manifold.

--Craig

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:18 pm »
You can sometimes use the heat gun to loosen those on the barbs but unless your an artist with a heat gun (like my buddy Gary) it's probably just easier and faster to cut and splice.

Cut the hose as close to the barb as you can get and the pipe coming in as close to the manifold as you can get. You will probably have to extend the pipe coming in also so dig back far enough to do that.

Get some replacement hose, cut away any cracked or brittle stuff an then just use a 2 way barb with clamps to reconnect.

Unless your really good at this kind of stuff I would call someone that does it every day and have them do it.

If you want a tech refferal let us know where you live and we will try and help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42