What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maax and Coleman Part Ways  (Read 11085 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Maax and Coleman Part Ways
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 02:20:38 pm »
Good to see you Miss Spahappy. I don't think anyone was bashing the brand. The biggest swipe at them came from Maxx. I know it must be frustrating for the dealers who have marketed their stores as Coleman dealers now to be left with no longer useful POP and the like. I am sure Maxx will have to step up and assist the dealers with the re branding of their stores. I wonder now that the Coleman name will be used on a entirely different spa and will share little of its design with the current brand how that will also play out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:21:12 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 02:20:38 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 02:46:32 pm »

Here's a pic of spahappy for the new folks.
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
Another busy day in East Texas! ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 05:36:49 pm »
Another busy day in East Texas! ;D

It's been a GREAT day in East Texas! :D

A new Limelight Flair:

A new HotSpring Envoy:

And my good friend Dwight, who just bought his third spa from me, a new Jetsetter:

I was out of towels, so he had to dry off with a sheet:

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:25 pm »
Let us know the outcome Spahappy. Good luck with it all and I wish ya the best!

Steve

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »
Whereas Maax seems to have possibly underestimated the value of the Coleman name (I have quite a few Coleman dealers that say it really helps), I think Coleman is overestimating it even more as they have now entrusted it to Tatum.

The problem with all the Tatum private labels is that dealers aren't stupid.  They know that if they pick up Coleman or Lazboy, the scammer down the street carrying the low-end Tatum stuff is going to say "They're all built in the same plant and mine is $4000 cheaper."  I wouldn't be surprised to see another announcement forthcoming about how a major mass-merchant or large chain like Leslies is getting the distribution like LaZboy ended up with Costco.

RIP Cal Cooperage / Coleman Spas

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 11:03:55 am »
I agree. I think Maxx dealers greatly benefited from the Coleman name and will miss its name recognition and story to explain how its insulated. The whole Tatum LazBoy thing always seemed odd to me but the Coleman name worked for one manufacturer but now it'll be exploited further on a product that is suspect IMO. I'm thinking Tatum will place the product with big box stores. I know Costco/Home Depot shoppers would use the false logic of "its made by Coleman so we can trust it and they know how to insulate like the coolers...".

Whereas Maax seems to have possibly underestimated the value of the Coleman name (I have quite a few Coleman dealers that say it really helps), I think Coleman is overestimating it even more as they have now entrusted it to Tatum.

The problem with all the Tatum private labels is that dealers aren't stupid.  They know that if they pick up Coleman or Lazboy, the scammer down the street carrying the low-end Tatum stuff is going to say "They're all built in the same plant and mine is $4000 cheaper."  I wouldn't be surprised to see another announcement forthcoming about how a major mass-merchant or large chain like Leslies is getting the distribution like LaZboy ended up with Costco.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:46:39 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 12:05:13 pm »
Good post Shaamus...

I looked at the Tatum stuff at a show and thought it looked great.... Later I had the local distributor bring one down to my store so I could look deeper. I warned him that I would want to take it apart when he got here and see the insides and he agreed.

When I got into the cabinet and saw how cheap the product was built I was ashamed of myself for ever thinking it was decent.

1. 2x2 pine frame stapled with the wood not even coming together.
2. Insulation sporadic and missing for the most part.
3. Glue dripped all over the place
4. Hoses bent and kinked

It was an ugly sight under the nice wrapper....I can't imagine them building any name brand any better.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »
Again I just wonder how is Maxx going to re-brand the stores.....if it is just switching to the Maxx line than perhaps it won't be as costly....I know from time to time the Coleman rep has called on us and they had some nice POP...The name was certainly intriging....but it was never a good fit for us....I feel for the dealers who in this slow economy now have another hurdle to over come....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42