What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter cleaning solution  (Read 9179 times)

jimmyb

Filter cleaning solution
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:06 pm »
We have a HS Vista and I woundering what filter cleaner works the best?
Our dealer gave us a bottle of "Club Pro" Cartridge Cleaner is this stuff any good or should we try something else?

Jim

Hot Tub Forum

Filter cleaning solution
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:06 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Filter cleaning solution
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:37:27 pm »
TSP or TSP 90.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

jimmyb

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:53 pm »
TSP or TSP 90.

Really? What ratio water to tsp, and have you used this with HS filters?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:47:02 pm »
Be sure to rinse VERY well... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:58:23 am »
I like to use plain old vinegar to clean my filters.  Works really well....

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:32:05 am »
I like simplicity filter cleaner. It seems to rinse out the best without any risidual foaming in the tub after.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:49:39 am »
I've been using Simple Green with good results. I put my two filters in a 5 gallon bucket, add 1/4 cup of Simple Green and fill it up with water to cover the top of the filters.
I leave it in overnight and then rinse well.
I have two sets of filters, both are three years old. One set is being cleaned while the other set is in the hot tub. They're still in great shape.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:56:41 am »
Phil, I am so impressed at how long my Marquis filters have lasted. I just threw away the first set..they were 3 years old and full of iron stains!.

I tried the Tsp to wash my filters, but I used the concentration that I used to scrub my walls before painting. I think I failed to rinse well enough and my tub bubbled and my water became unbalanced. I am sure it was my fault. I might try TSP again though..it is very inexpensive and does a good job of cleaning ;)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:20 pm »
...I tried the Tsp to wash my filters, but I used the concentration that I used to scrub my walls before painting. I think I failed to rinse well enough and my tub bubbled and my water became unbalanced. I am sure it was my fault. I might try TSP again though..it is very inexpensive and does a good job of cleaning ;)
Hi Boni,
I haven't tried TSP but in the past I have used a fair amount of it for other uses. It's great for cleaning walls and ceilings before painting that are covered with smoker's nicotine who liked to keep their windows closed Yeah. Been there, done that.

I didn't mention it but I've experienced lots of foam, too, from not rinsing the filters well. So last year, I broke down and bought Dr. Spa's Filter Blaster spa filter cleaner to thoroughly rinse the filters.
No, it's not cheap but it does a great job. Now if there's any foam, it's not because the filters were replaced.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »
I'm sure that device works decent. I just question the way it does it...

We know the water flow traps dirt and BLAH  :P  in the pleats but why is it that we try to clean it in the same direction?  :-?

Someone needs to come up with an automatic cleaner that shoots the crap out in the opposite direction instead of forcing it in further to the pleats.

If someone does develope that, I want 50% of the profits...  :)

As far as filter cleaner product, I've always used filter brite by SpaGuard.

Steve

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:00:22 pm by Steve »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:27 pm »
I've seen TSP seize organics into the paper fibers....I use either dishwasher detergent or filter cleaner but at least once a year I soak them in filter clean to get all the oils out.

I also have a piece of pipe that I drive into the ground in the middle of my yard and set my filter on it then spray it while it spins itself clean.

jimmyb

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:44 am »
Anyone use their dishwasher to clean their filters?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 10:16:27 am »
Steve..I am right there with you. I have tried to figure out a way to do exactly what you are saying. The only thing that I can figure that would work would be to blow the filter inside out with high pressure...and then how would you get it back in place? You are so right all the goobers are tucked tight in the pleats. I try to wash my filters from top to bottom and I use that had held filter cleaner from Doc.  It does a good job but it is very time consuming and a real pain in the winter.

We need to really think about this... ;)
The dishwasher method may remove some of the oils, but surely can't open the pleats and get the real crud out. :P

txwillie

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:22 am »
I rigged up 2 or 3 pvc fittings for my Marquis filters to connect the hose to and backwash them. Worked pretty well. The Marquis filters are closed on one end. The filter on my Sundance is open on both ends, one threaded, one not. Could probably get the right collection of fittings to connect to the threaded end and put a big rubber stopper or a plumbing test ball in the other end. I did all that to rinse the filter cleaner out better. It helped, but not enough to keep suds outta the tub. I now use vinegar to clean the filter. works really well and zero foam.

txwillie

jimmyb

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 11:31:38 am »
I was thinking a dishwasher could be used for the final rinse prior to re-installing.  I was kind of thing it might alleviate the bubbles

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 11:31:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42