What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice needed - Sundance vs Coleman  (Read 2186 times)

anitanewtub

Advice needed - Sundance vs Coleman
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:38:09 pm »
What a great forum this is - I've been reading it quite a bit, but just now joined.  We're about to buy our first hot tub so I've been reading a lot about them and doing a lot of shopping, looking and testing to go along with the research.  But I'm the first to admit I don't REALLY know what I'm doing since I've never owned one.

I'm down to 2 pretty similar models (at least I think I am).  I like both spas about the same.  Both dealers are ~ 15+ years in business, smaller, family run businesses so I think the service would be good in either case.  Both have 5-year full parts and labor warranties.  So I now think it's a price vs. longer-term quality equation (at least my perception of quality).  Thus, my asking for advice/opinions.

I am looking at the Sundance Hawthorne and the Coleman 481 (~92x92, 6 seater w/lounger, top lights, stainless jets, cover, EZ lifter, steps, no stereo).  For comparable features / extras, the Coleman is about $1000-1200 more expensive.  My newbie perception is that the Coleman is better quality - fittings, frame, better insulation (in the panels), etc.  But maybe the salesman is just better at pointing out the benefits of his product...  

So, I'm looking for opinions/advice before I plop down 6 or 7 Gs.  
- Is my quality perception valid?
- Is it worth ~$1200 over the long haul?
- Do you know anything about these brands that I'm not thinking of?  I saw something about Coleman discontinuing their relationship with a supplier...  is this something I should be concerned with?
- Is there another brand that I should be seriously considering in this general price range?

Any and all advice welcome, on either side of the fence.

Hot Tub Forum

Advice needed - Sundance vs Coleman
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:38:09 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Advice needed - Sundance vs Coleman
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:34 pm »
First, the part about the Coleman brand.  MAAX Spas has been the manufacturer of the Coleman Spas.  They just lost/gave up their licensing agreement with Coleman.  The Coleman brand will now be manufactured by one of the bottom feeder spa manufacturers in the industry.  The MAAX Coleman and the new Coleman will not be the same spas, quality, etc.  The ONLY similarity they will most likely have will be the name, Coleman.

Now, as to the difference between Sundance and MAAX/Coleman.  This is my personal opinion based on over 20 years in this industry.  I think the Sundance is the better spa.  I just think they are built better, have better components, jets, etc.  That is not to say the MAAX/Coleman spa is a bad spa.  It is of decent quality.  I just think the better spa is from Sundance.

As to concerns over warranty if you buy a MAAX/Coleman, I don't think you'll have any problems.  MAAX will simply re-label the spas.  They'll still provide warranty support on these spas.

In the end, it comes down to your comfort level with your dealer and how the spa fits you.  You don't mention wet testing either of these spas.  Have you done that?  That could be how you make your decision.  Most folks that wet test are surprised in what they find.  At times, the spa they loved isn't the spa they end up with because it just didn't fit them.

If you haven't wet tested the spas, you really should.

Are there other spas you should consider?  Absolutely.  If you haven't looked at all the major brands, you should.  In no order, some of those other brands are Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis....the list goes on and others will certainly chime in with their brand.  Don't limit yourself in your search.

Good luck in your search.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:37:45 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Advice needed - Sundance vs Coleman
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42