What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!  (Read 19619 times)

bubblejet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »
We have a 2005 arctic spa Summit that we have never had any problems with but now all of a sudden we are loosing 3-4 inches of water every week.  We have opened all the panels and checked for water on the forever floor but have not found a trace of the missing water.  Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to look for?  I should also add that this is not from water being splashed out during use, it's just disappearing!  :-?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »

gwstudios

Re: Water Disappearing Don't Know Where!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »
I lose 3-4 inches of water a week because my cover is rarely on all Spring / Summer. Is your cover on and you are still losing water?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:57:53 pm »
Did you check inside the skirting when the pumps were running?  I've seen connections leak when under pressure from the jets running.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Summitman

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »
We have a 2005 arctic spa Summit that we have never had any problems with but now all of a sudden we are loosing 3-4 inches of water every week.  We have opened all the panels and checked for water on the forever floor but have not found a trace of the missing water.  Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to look for?  I should also add that this is not from water being splashed out during use, it's just disappearing!  :-?

Give your Arctic dealer a call tomorrow, they should be able to come out and take a look to find the problem for you.  It should be under warranty still as well.

bubblejet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far.  I forgot to mention that we are losing the water with the cover on.  Right now we are not using the tub as much but do check it periodically to monitor the water and chemicals.  You would think
that with that much water disappearing there would be some signs of it somewhere but as previously mentioned there is no water in the service compartment at all.   :-?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:24:07 pm »
I knew of a spa losing 6" of water a week..........due to being used as a "watering hole" by the neighborhood herd of deer (no joke....took a while to figure out).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:58:56 pm »

Give your Arctic dealer a call tomorrow, they should be able to come out and take a look to find the problem for you.  It should be under warranty still as well.

Remember the last time someone had a problem with his Arctic ... Hey Tom get ready! ::) ;)

jenC

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:17:17 pm »
we were loosing a bunch of water and it turned out to be our waterfall (the tub was only a few days old when we noticed it). Once they swapped out the waterfall, all was fixed.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:31 pm »
Hi, Bubblejet.  You've had some good suggestions, so I'll just leave it with your dealer for now.  If you need any further help, please PM me ASAP.

The water has to be going somewhere and if it's entering the spa cavity it will most likely just exit the forever floor through the one-way drain.  If that drain is doing its job, you might not even notice any water inside.  Another do-it-yourself suggestion for passive leaks is to lay some brown paper towels down in the bottom of the pan - they'll darken quickly if they find moisture.  If nothing shows, check them a few hours later.

The issue was discussed somewhat tongue-in-cheek here http://www.industrymailout.net/Industry/View.aspx?id=62274&p=26b5.  But that can't compare with a herd of deer stopping for a drink on the way home from work...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:02:18 pm by Graybeard »

Tom

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:42:05 pm »
Hey Tom get ready! ::) ;)
Thanks for the heads-up, Vinny.  I now start a tracking ticket for any forum issue that comes up, to be sure that every issue is resolved to the customer's  satisfaction.

jenC

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:39 pm »
Whoops, guess I should specify mine is a Sundance, not a Arctic, I was just jumping in to mention what our issue with disappearing water was.

bubblejet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:24 pm »
The mystery of the disappearing water has been solved ;D.  We called the service department and they sent back an email with a union leak troubleshooting guide complete with pictures.  There was a leak around the heater which wasn't noticeable unless the pumps were running and as Tom suggested the forever floor drain took care of the rest.  My husband tightened one of the heater unions and all is now well in our little corner of spa heaven :)

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 03:41:03 pm »
Can any of you Arctic folk tell me why there is such an issue with all of the union connections on Arctic tubs????? For my 11 yrs dealing with pools and working on multiple spa brands I only have seen and heard of Arctic unions coming loose. Is it the vibration from the pumps, plumbing, to thin of an o-ring/gasket?  

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »
Can any of you Arctic folk tell me why there is such an issue with all of the union connections on Arctic tubs????? For my 11 yrs dealing with pools and working on multiple spa brands I only have seen and heard of Arctic unions coming loose. Is it the vibration from the pumps, plumbing, to thin of an o-ring/gasket?  
I was just thinking the same thing....

Could be coincidence however, I'm wondering if the constant heat in the cabinet has something to do with that. The may want to change gaskets....

Arctic wouldn't be the first for this type of problem....Marquis and many other companies put just a dab a silicon on the union to keep it from coming loose.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:58:56 pm by stuart »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:55 am »
Did you check inside the skirting when the pumps were running?  I've seen connections leak when under pressure from the jets running.

Score one for me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42