What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MRSA infections  (Read 9212 times)

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
MRSA infections
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
A question for our nurses and Doc's out there. Does sanitizer such as chlorine kill the MRSA bacteria? I can't find it anywhere and being that it is a super bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics and many germs are becoming resistant to chlorine I was wondering if chlorine will kill it. I am super worried because I have been keeping my chlorine levels low trying out this new sea weed based system. Oh, I should say we just found out that our son has MRSA and we had been letting him soak in the tub because he had what we were told were ingrown hairs that got infected. Guess what... they gave the wrong diagnosis, he has been soaking his MRSA infection in the tub!

Any one have ideas or delt with this before?
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

MRSA infections
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: MRSA infections
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »
Although I am not a nurse or a Dr. I do get involved with disinfection of things/ infection control. I will state that I am not an expert in this field.

MRSA is a general name for any resistant "bug" from what I understand. There are some super antibiotics that are reserved for just this type of problem to help humans.

Chlorine can kill almost any "bug" but it has to be in the correct quantity. Generally speaking the amount of solution to use is 1 part bleach to 9 parts water ... I think if you measure the PPM of the solution it  is probably way up there and you need contact time as well - minimum 10 minutes. The hospital does use this type of impregnated cloth to disinfect the equipment and work areas. Also, bleach and water is extremely powerful as there is nothing to dull the chlorine effects (no CYA) - this can kill virus, bacteria and cysts.

I would imagine that if you have a high enough PPM of chlorine (I would use bleach) in the tub without too much CYA (remember CYA PPM = PPM of chlorine) that the chlorine will do the job. Don't forget all the other parts of the tub as well above the water line.

Good Luck with your son!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:25:24 pm »
MRSA is the name of a very specifis staff infection that the CDC is involved with because of its very high transmision rate, lack of treatment and possibility of causing death. Methicillin-resistant staphylococus aureus. It is nasty stuff.

My fear is that for the last 2 weeks we have been soaking in a tub that keeps its chlorine down to 1-2 in addtion to the "Natural" which is a new chem we are trying. My CYA is up to 80. I can supershock now, scrub drain ect but I was worried that 2 weeks of soaking all ready might be to late. Guess we will find out! My weekend will be scrubbing with bleach and water and alcohol!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:51:06 pm »
Hillbilly, this article doesn't pertain to your son, obviously, however I think the part about using bleach to disinfect will put your worries to rest....MRSA is so dangerous because once it infects tissue, the antibiotics are not effective. On surfaces, I imagine it is probably as easy to kill as any other form of Staph. At least bleach can kill it as easily as any other form of Staph. as indicated in this document. This probably represents the worst possible case!! ;D
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/health/antibiotic_resistance/mrsa/prevention_treatment.pdf

Who knows, soaking in the tub may actually help clear up your son's infection... :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:24:15 pm »
I hope something clears it up. Just got the call, he is being rushed to the hospital with 107 tempreture. Waiting for my grandson to be dropped off with me (who also has to be tested) Hot Tub aside, we have a chance of getting it anyway. It is highly contagious.

This sucks and we have no idea where he got it to begin with at this point!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:32:47 pm »
That is terrible, terrible to hear....ya'll will be in my prayers. :(

Chris O
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:35:43 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:57:35 pm »
IThis sucks and we have no idea where he got it to begin with at this point!

Is he school age?  So glad to be an empty nester.  This bug always seems to pick up in September.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:36:06 am »
So how's it going this morning Hillbilly? thought about this a lot last night and I really hope your son is doing better.
Let us know please.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:45:22 am »
First, this is our oldest son, not of school age. He has a 3 year old son of his own who is spending the next few days with us.

They kept him is the hospital in ICU. He will not be leaving for a few days. The MRSA got into his bloodstream. Back when he had the first "boil" that they though was an ingrown hair, it did not get treated correctly allowing it to get a foot hold.

He is better this morning, fever is down and he is making sense talking to us. Yesterday he was not! We will see as time goes on.

I have found out you can get it from a hot tub, but it is not common. More apt to get it by direct contact and in some cases sneezing.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 11:00:58 am »
In a hospital setting the most important thing that you can do is wash your hands.

We are supposed to wash them for 15 seconds minimum. It may sound like nothing but count out 15 seconds and it is a long time.

What I learned reading about MRSA is we can have staph infection bacteria living on us but it usually doesn't turn into MRSA.

Here's the CDC info: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html

Glad your son is doing better.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »
MRSA usually attacks people with a lowered immune system. I have been learning a lot also about it. He has Chrones disease so his immune system is lower because of the meds he is on for that.

We just found out his wife has it also, but they are catching it early so all should be ok. They are also going to treat my grandson topically for it (creams and special soap) to try to prevent him from getting it. Besides our son getting better, he is our biggest concern. His risk factors are high and ability to fight it are not as good as an adults.

Have a good weekend all and thanks for the help/guidance for information.

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »

Have a good weekend all and thanks for the help/guidance for information.

Hillbilly,

Its us that should be wishing you a good weekend.  I truly hope all is well for your family
Bullfrog 451

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »
Just getting caught up, so if some of you are wondering why I hadn't put in my 50 cents worth--

Hillbilly--hope your son gets better and QUICKLY.  

Some points about MRSA and numerous other resistant super bugs--

1--MRSA is killed by bleach.  It is treatable with a variety of antibiotics such as Vancomycin and Zyvox.  It all depends on the culture and sensitivity done at the microbiology lab.

2--We all essentially have staph bacteria, as well as strep, on our skin.  You could have MRSA and not be infected, it could colonize in your nares (common) and become a "normal" flora.  All bacteria are opportunistic, meaning, given the right conditions, such as, compromised immune system and a cut or abrasion on the skin=infection.  Another example, appendix ruptures=peritonitis from GI tract organisms.  

While MRSA is transmisable via contact with it either on the person infected, or on a surface, it is also developed by MISUSE of antibiotics--which one of us doesn't call the doc wanting an antibiotic for the first sign of a sniffle.  Then, once we feel better, quit taking it.  Even so, bacteria are getting smarter and smarter these days.  There are strains out there now that are UNTREATABLE and are MULTIDRUG resistant.  

Hope this sorts out some of the concerns.

Truly, Hillbilly, I hope things are OK with you and your family.  Discuss things with the Infection Control department at the hospital your son was in.  They are a great resource of information.  Also, if your son was seen by an Infectious Disease doctor, speak to them about treatments for colonized bacteria on everyone else.

Let us know how things pan out. :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
Well, we found out his wife also has it, caught it early so she is ok. His went into his blood stream, he is still in the hospital. They are treating my grandson topically with a special soap and cream to put on his bug bites.

I have learned we should be OK with the tub, even keeping the risdual down, BUT we are giving him a tub that was traded in so he can have his own. No more visitors in my tub!

It has been quite eventful around here. We are waiting for his fever to stay gone for at least 24 hours, keeps coming back. He is still in ICU at this point. We are also waiting to hear what starin, not a nice one from what I can see!

Thanks all...and yes I was wondering where your 50 cents were wewanna :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42