What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gecko controller problem  (Read 13443 times)

countryboy

• soak it in cider
Gecko controller problem
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:32 pm »
Anyone good with a Gecko controller? I have a 2004 coast spa with a Gecko controller. Sunday the house was hit by lightening an dnow the spa won't heat. The pumps work fine and I can set the temp. to anything I want but the display always say's the tub is 32 and won't turn the heaters on. I've opened the controller cover and checked the fuses and for any obviouse damage but I see none. Anyone have any ideas where to look or am I even looking in  the right place, should I be looking at the keypad display unit.

Hot Tub Forum

Gecko controller problem
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:32 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Gecko controller problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »
Power the spa down, unplug the keypad, plug it back in and power the spas back up. Maybe a simple reset. Lightning and/or power surges can cause havic with spa controls. It may be just the topside or it may be the complete control system if a reset does not help.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:45 am »
I've powered down a few times now. I'll try the unplugging the key pad and  see what that does.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:11:12 pm »
If that doesn't work you more than likely have a heat relay on the board blown....I've seen it a lot here in Colorado during lightening. Most manufactures cover it.....

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
out of warranty :-[ is the relay replaceable? I have a few PCB tech's here at work.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:01:04 pm »
If you can find it....

I've also seen them stick after a power surge....sometimes you can tap them lightly with the handle of a scewdriver and see if they unstick. Be careful though, I've seen them actually blow up (just a low pop and a flash not a nuclear explosion) so don't have your face down there.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:58 pm »
Most homeowners insurance will cover it also and give you a complete control system. Not sure if it increases you premium or not, or worth the deductable.

Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:23:27 pm »
Home owners already excepted it. but the dealer wants $70 to get here, $160 to work on it and $425 for the board. Just thinking if I could fix it and pocket some extra $$ towards a new cover.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:32:07 pm »
Home owners already excepted it. but the dealer wants $70 to get here, $160 to work on it and $425 for the board. Just thinking if I could fix it and pocket some extra $$ towards a new cover.
See if you can get a number off the board or email me with some pictures of the board and I will see what I can do to help.

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:52:51 pm »
you looking for a spa pack controller model number or a number on the actual board? I've found boards online like at gecko site but none look like the one in the controller exactly. I'll try to get some #'s and pix tomarrow.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »
For that money you could replace the entire system with a Balboa reto kit! You will need to get the exact number off the board to get the exact match. Each company configures their boards differently. We can help alos if needed.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 03:42:52 pm »
For that money you could replace the entire system with a Balboa reto kit! You will need to get the exact number off the board to get the exact match. Each company configures their boards differently. We can help alos if needed.

Actually you couldn't do that effectively, That isn't really a out of line price for a Gecko board. Usually though Gecko wants to change the whole equipment pack and doesn't send just a board.

I'm serious about the tapping the heat relay though....I've seen it work often.

I work on a lot of Gecko...infact I work on a lot of all brands and have for over twenty years. In that amount of time I see people everyday that bought another system and installed it themselves. By the time they are done and we go out and fix what they've they pay a lot more.

I've also seen many people buy boards online from companies and get either the wrong chip or a rebuilt board or even a bad board.

If you want to troubleshoot it yourself before the tech gets there, get a meter, look to see if the heat indicator is on, test to see if you have 220 at the heater then clamp an amp meter on one of the main power wires and see if your drawing 15 amps or more.

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:16:23 pm »
Ok  here are some pictures if I have done this right. I'll ceck on the power and the amps in a little while.

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 01:31:43 pm »
Ok, I turned on the main breaker and the heater icon came on and the circ. pump started. Nothing on the 2 terminals for the heater but checking the amps on the red leg its pulling 19.2amps.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:12 pm »
Besides doing what stuart told you to check ...

Did you check the big fuse above the heater terminals? Don't know if that has anything to do with the heater - usually big fuses = lot of current.

Did you ohm out the heater? Do not take measurements with wires attached to both heater lugs.

Are you getting anything from the right relay to the terminal ... the other lead on the DVM would go to ground (the lug with green wire next to the heater). I am assuming that the relay supplies the heater and not providing a pathway to ground or whatever.

Also in the photo of the circuit board, there is a white connector that is not on. It is on the bottom, right of the photo. There are 2 connectors going to the circuit board, the bottom one is on the one on top of it is not.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:02:20 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42