What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa search... continues!!!  (Read 7540 times)

Tailhooker

Spa search... continues!!!
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:43:03 pm »
 :-?
Well I started this whole process looking and learning and checking the boards here and reading the virtual soaks that other people like Parrothead and Swell-Tub talked about.  I went into this process with a set tub in my mind.  My favorite tub in my local area at the start (by looks) was the (Sundance Cameo) and then wished I had a Marquis dealer around after hearing all the great reviews on the Epic.   Well after putting $500 (refundable) down and waiting 4 weeks for the Cameo to arrive I got a chance to try it outside the store.  On to the review.

Cameo:  I ordered the Cameo with the Ipod stereo setup and it looked great but after all the reviews I had read about the Cameo I didn't ever feel that the jets were that strong.  This being my first wet test I was a little disappointed.  After all I had read from everyone, they were getting these great massages and the jets on this "strong tub" weren't doing it for me, man I was disapointed.  I sat in every seat played with every diverter.  Some seat blew me out but didn't really get my back in the right spots.  At 6'3" the neck jets hit my upper back (I could slouch a bit and get the neck).  I really want this tub to feel better.  Liked the bubbler , cool down seat and the fit and finish.  

07 Hotspring Envoy:  Figured I'd give it a try after the Cameo  experience.  Had hoped to be wowed with the first and then drop my $$ and leave.  Well unlike the Sundance dealer that I had to persuade and give $500 so that I could wet test.  Hotspring had some empty tubs and said come in Monday and I'll have the envoy and the D1 chairman II ready for you.    Well even the dealer said try the HS first or you will be disappointed when you get in the D1.  Wow my faith in the massage relief of tubs was restored.  The Envoy was great, I loved the moto-massage and the foot jets were really good, my concern is that the envoy might be a little small but that 3rd foot jet is great that the Vista doesn't have.  The lounger was a little small but it wasn't too bad and the wife liked it.

D1 Chairman II:  I wasn't as crazy about it the modular seating made me feel a little cramped.  The neck jets feel good but when I put them to the highest setting they can splash 7 feet across the room.  The lounger control was broken so I didn't get to see the true power of the lounger.  

Jaccuzzi:  I called to set up the test on 460 or 465 and they said we are no longer selling tubs anymore!!! :o

Post test:  Would love to try the Cameo again to see if I might play more with the diverters but they drained the tub and put it inside the store (they don't wet test in store).  I guess that I want the Cameo to be better since I heard that it was pretty strong tub and for me the HotSpring seemed stronger and its $1800 for the stereo (Icast hopefully) that is a lot for the music add-on.  

Decisions:   HotSpring is in the lead.  I think the 08 improvements on the HS are probably worth the money, only a $500 difference between the 07 and 08 but the Vista and Grandee are bigger with bigger pumps too.  Initially I was just going to get a spa pad or a concrete slab... then it went to if I am going to get a slab why not just build a big patio... then it is so hot in South Texas so what about a pool too with a spot for the hot tub.   So my, "hey lets just get a tub" is now a big backyard adventure.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:31:03 pm by Tailhooker »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa search... continues!!!
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:43:03 pm »

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
Re: Spa search... continues!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:21 am »
I didn’t read all that, but good luck.  Sounds like you’re doing your research.
It's all about da bubbles!

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:21 am »
Taihooker, don't start to feel badly if your search is taking too long, or is frustrating you.  You don't want to be one of those people who buy a tub and never use it.  Keep searching until you find that tub that wows you!  And, after wet testing several, don't hesitate to go back and retest one or two.  Find a new dealer if one won't cooperate in your wet testing.
It's all worth it.  I'm going back into my tub for the second time today, as soon as I get done on this site!   8-)
Mike

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:44 am »
Now that we have had our tub for a few weeks I will say that wet testing is a must (not like everyone else hasn't said that already).  :)   The other thing is Im not sold on the stereo? We have the  stereo in our Optima with the pop up speakers etc.. but when you are in the tub it is loud and it is harder to talk with it on so I am thinking that what some other people suggested might be better and that is to purchase good outdoor speakers and hook up a 6 CD changer with radio in the house and play it outdoors.   Just a thought and I am sure much less money then the 1800 they want to charge you.  Ours was a used tub so I got what came with it!

zroger73

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:42:44 pm »
I did a lot of factual research, but never wet-tested. I hadn't been in a hot tub in 15 years until I bought my '08 Sovereign II a couple of months ago. There's so much to choose from out there and I understand how confusing it can get. The more you look, the more you'll learn. My hot tub is mostly for me and a friend or two on a semi-daily basis. Be it a good purchase, good luck, or pure ignorance, I couldn't be happier with my Hot Spring so far. It's just the right size for me. The chemicals are confusing at first, as there are no fewer than 4 different basic water care systems - each with advantages and disadvantages and EVERYBODY has a different result and opinion it seems. I've settled into ozone, Nature2, and dichlor with fine results so far.

I'm sure most well-known brands would be fine. In my opinion, Hot Spring is to hot tubs as Kleenex is to facial tissues. There will always be lessor and greater brands, but very few "standards". Hot Spring impressed me with my local dealer and service and parts availability. Hot Spring isn't the cheapest, but it's in line with other good brands. I'm a tight wad and started my search with $3,000-$4,000 models from Sam's. It didn't take me long to learn to stay clear of those.

Good luck!
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:38 pm »
Jacuzzi is to hot tubs as Kleenex is to tissues... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]  
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tailhooker

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:39:40 am »
Bonibelle you are right on this one !  I still catch myself saying it and my kids do too... "Going to wet test a Jacuzzzi today!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:36:56 am by Tailhooker »

Tailhooker

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:04 pm »
Well things got a little out of control, I just went out and bought an inground pool (well ordered one to be built) today with a section set aside for a hot tub; that I'll hopefully decide upon this week.  8-)

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:38 pm »

HAHAHA!! LMAO!!!   ;D ;D ;D

I once saw a Judge Joe Brown episode where the plaintiff kept calling her hot tub a "Jacuzzi hot tub spa", and once the story unraveled, it was a COLEMAN!!

Dave, I am feeling you pain!  :'( :-/

My fave (and, no, we haven't tested HS) is Arctic with second Jacuzzi.  If only hubby could be so convinced...  :'(

Good luck, and soon your epiphany day will come!!

Still waiting on our epiphany day...

Chrisi :D
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Tailhooker

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:30:31 pm »
How's this one... I made my decision today I decided that I was going to get the HS Envoy today.  So I left work, drove 45 min home, changed.  Got to the Hot tub dealer at about 4:05pm and "son of a b#$*^", the sign on the door said "gone for lunch!!" :o  Man that sucks!! ;D

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:34:38 pm »
Tailhook, that frustration is nothing as bad as the wait once you order it.  I just ordered my replacement tub today.  Can't wait to get my body back in spa relaxation mode!   :D
Mike

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:51:58 pm »
Got to the Hot tub dealer at about 4:05pm and "son of a b#$*^", the sign on the door said "gone for lunch!!" :o  

WOW that's one heck of a lunch hour!  :o ;D  Did you ask what his golf score was when he finally arrived!
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:52 pm »
The 3 or 4 times/day that I leave the store to pick up some food, beer, or cigars, I always leave a note saying "Went to help customer...Back in 15 minutes".  I just have to be careful and scan the parking lot for waiting customers before I bring the beer into the store.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:03 pm »
The 3 or 4 times/day that I leave the store to pick up some food, beer, or cigars, I always leave a note saying "Went to help customer...Back in 15 minutes".  I just have to be careful and scan the parking lot for waiting customers before I bring the beer into the store.

Term

Sorry.  Too much time on my hands, today, I guess.  I'll quit.
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Tailhooker

Re: Spa search... finished!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:26:55 pm »
[size=36]:) :) :) [glow]I finally did it!!![/glow] ;D ;D ;D [glow]2008 Hot Spring Envoy[/glow][/size][size=12] Sterling Marble and Espresso cabinet[/size]  Should be in town in about 2 weeks just in time after the deck around my new pool is complete. ::) ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:29:44 pm by Tailhooker »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Spa search... finished!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:26:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42