What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Dealers  (Read 3646 times)

Water Boy

Question for Dealers
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:37 pm »
I have a customer who bought a spa, and has a prescription from a doctor for a spa. They need what they call a durable medical code for a spa or hot tub. I haven’t ran into this for quite a while. Do any of you dealers know what that is, or can you point me in the right direction for it. Thanks in advance!! :)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Dealers
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:37 pm »

Spiderman

Re: Question for Dealers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:09:21 pm »
I believe it would be Durable Medical Equipment and I think it depends on his/her insurance carrier.  They might have to get it from their insurance company.

I'll also add that I thought a prescription from a Dr. would only exclude the costomer from paying sales tax.  I don't think an insurance company is going to pay for the entire tub.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:11:30 pm by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Micah

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:08 pm »
Is that sales tax thing for real or is it just a salesmans myth.  I called the Ca. state board of equalization (our sales tax collector) and they said they had never heard of such a thing.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
This is under the code for Therapy devices and exercise equipment...Pretty hard to get the IRS to buy it.

Besides, I thought Artic spas were so efficient and life saving there was a special tax break just for buying one of them! Don't they actually put heat back into your house? (and they come with a lifetime supply of the koolaid)  ;) ;D 8-)

Summitman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:34:57 pm »
This is under the code for Therapy devices and exercise equipment...Pretty hard to get the IRS to buy it.

Besides, I thought Artic spas were so efficient and life saving there was a special tax break just for buying one of them! Don't they actually put heat back into your house? (and they come with a lifetime supply of the koolaid)  ;) ;D 8-)

No koolaid necessary!  That would be for all the other brands.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:41:42 pm »
Is that sales tax thing for real or is it just a salesmans myth.  I called the Ca. state board of equalization (our sales tax collector) and they said they had never heard of such a thing.

It depends on the state (each state has their own sales tax laws). CA doesn't offer this.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:36 am »
Thanks to all that responded.

Update-
I called the Durable Medical Equipment product help line and I was told that the code was A9270- NON-coved items or service, and was told that Medicare doesn’t cover things like these. They did say that though that he might need to have that code so when he gets denied from Medicare, his insurance could cover part of it, said that can sometimes happen.

Also, in the state of KS, a prescription from a doctor does allow the customer to write off the sales tax.

Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:43 am »

....says the guys with the arctic Kool-Aid coursing through their veins clouding all reason!!! ;D ;D 8-)

The positive thing is that Arctic Kool-Aid doesn't mix completely but rather just on the inner and outer part of the vein allowing for a Space between to recapture some intellectual thought to keep the brain warm. ;)

Summitman

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:30 am »

....says the guys with the arctic Kool-Aid coursing through their veins clouding all reason!!! ;D ;D 8-)

The positive thing is that Arctic Kool-Aid doesn't mix completely but rather just on the inner and outer part of the vein allowing for a Space between to recapture some intellectual thought to keep the brain warm. ;)

no koolaid necessary, just results!

Tom

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »
Don't they actually put heat back into your house?
Unfortunately, that's not true.  Properly configured, they put power back into the grid, though we have not yet achieved that in a practical way -- at present, it takes six to eight Arctic Spas linked in series to reduce the average power bill noticeably.   ::)

Thanks for the humour, Stuart, I appreciate it and needed the break.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »

Whether you sell/represent Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance, Arctic, Marquis ... everyone drinks koolaid to some degree. The only thing that changes a bit is the flavor.  :)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Summitman

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 02:27:26 pm »

Whether you sell/represent Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance, Arctic, Marquis ... everyone drinks koolaid to some degree. The only thing that changes a bit is the flavor.  :)

I agree 100%, but the way "stewy" was implying me drinking the koolaid is a lot different than what goes on here at my place of business.  Their are many good brands out there but Arctic better with my business than others.

Buckeye Gal

• Proud Cameo Owner
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:40 pm »
In Ohio if you have a prescription from a doctor it allows you to not pays sales tax BUT there are other forms that need to be filled out as well. . like exemption forms from the State  - I would check the state that you live in and see what the guidlines are. I've never had someone's insurance "pay" for a spa :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42