What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is the best type of cover lifter  (Read 21299 times)

Tailhooker

What is the best type of cover lifter
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:26:27 am »
Hot spring has a few listed below, and there is the Covermate I,II,III models out there.  What do most people like out there?  Most dealers through in the Covermate I, or comperable basic lifter.  Is it worth upgrading or going gas shock?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CoverCradle® Retractable Cover System
Dual pneumatic gas springs in the arms of this lifter make cover removal a breeze. The top-of-the-line CoverCradle system features a low-profile design and ultra-smooth gliding mechanism. Requires 24" clearance.

CoverCradle II Retractable Cover System
Similar in design to the CoverCradle, this lifter uses a single pneumatic gas spring and allows for a smooth operation.

GlideRite® Retractable Cover SystemGlideRite® Retractable Cover System
This simple and efficient cover lifter requires 14" clearance.

Lift 'n Glide® Retractable Cover SystemLift 'n Glide® Retractable Cover System
This economical cover lifter requires 14" clearance.

UpRite® Retractable Cover System
This system lifts the cover up over the spa bar top. It is ideal for limited clearance applications such as decks and gazebos. Requires only 7" clearance.

Hot Tub Forum

What is the best type of cover lifter
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:26:27 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: What is the best type of cover lifter
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:52:05 am »
I think it depends on your install. I have the covermate with gass shocks and it works great!

It also holds my cover high to act as a windbreak and screen, my tub is set into the deck so I don't think I had many options.

But it does a good job at winbreaking at times so it was a win win situation. I also have neighbors that are directly on either side of me, my wife and I are trying to figure out what to do for the side without the cover on it.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:46:57 pm »
Probably 80% of our spas go out with the CM1 most of the time its a throw in and that one's cost is not bad to be a give away.   That and it works really well,   Covermate3 is our second choice, but kids specially teenagers cant seem to use the safety lock and just force the lift down and bend of break the shocks.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »
I personally love the coverplay....very durable and no rust, but it has a few limits such as round or octo tubs it has to be mounted to the deck/cement.

We have also sold a couple of the covers with the lifter built in. So Far we really like them, we will see how they last over time.....
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
Vinny,  Target has molded privacy screens. http://www.target.com/Outdoor-Screen-Enclosure-White/dp/B000K6JHR6/sr=1-1/qid=1217090013/ref=sr_1_1/601-1634692-4791332?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Agarden%20screen&page=1

Thanks Boni!

I have no clue what my wife wants ... I'm thinking roman shades but do you insult a neighbor by installing 1 shade where the window is? I was also thinking some kind of sheet (fancy shower curtain maybe?) that is easily put up and down. My screen room is aluminum so magnets are out.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:38:55 pm »
I also wanted to add that 3 years ago when I bought my spa there seemed to be less choices as well.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »
Most of our spas go out with either Cover Cradle 2 or CM1.

The problems Jim describes with CM3 are universal to the zero clearance lifters.  We have seen them with CM3, UpRite and Cover Valet. :-X
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
Speaking to Hot Spring specifically, I would go with either the Cover Cradle or CCII.  The CCII is a bit cheaper and has one shock instead of two.  The extra shock is nice for the larger covers.

The Cover Cradles are made specifically for Hot Spring.  The Hot Spring cover has a metal plate in the side of the cover to attach the Cover Cradle.  This makes for a strong lift and less wear on the cover.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:40 am »
Tail hooker,

The CM1 is a decent lifter. It's pretty basic but it does the job. I had one on my Caspain.

What hot tub is this lifter going on?   I ask as the Caspian was a 6 x 6 and I don't think I would put a larger cover on the CM1.   There were a few times when there was some slush on the cover and lifting it was very difficult.  My wife would also have a hard time lifiting the cover.   Usually to open it fully, I would fold it half over and then get in the tub and lift it all the way up by lifting from the middle of the cover.

when I got my Geneva, I upgraded to  the Pro lift II ($300?) which has the pnematic shock assists, and I think it's a great lifter.  The main difference being is to open the Pro lift II you flip the front half over (like all lifters) and then, rather than lift the folded cover, you gentley push the lifter back, and it goes up. Easy. I ca do it with a few fingers.

The PLII is also mounted directly to a metal brace in my cover and  I think it provides for a smoother lift. fliping the cover over a bar (asin the CM1) sometimes I felt that I could twist out (or rack) the bar. Not so with the Pro lift. Smooth and easy.

since the cover is mounted directly to the lifter, there is no need for cover clips/locks on the back of the spa.  For me, this is a huge plus. I hated walking around the spa to snap/unsnap the clips (espically in the winter). And it;s easy to forget about those back clips and I had snapped my fair share of them.  The Pro lift II style eliminates that.

If you are going to get a lifter that mounts directly into you hot tub cabinet, I would take a few minutes to decide wich one you want. as it will be with you for a long time.

The covermate I is a good, basic lifter and may serve you well.  So don't get me wrong...however,  are the better ones? Absolutey.  If you have it in your budget, go down to you dealer, and try them out and see if  they make a difference to you. :) I think too many people overlook the lifter and take what ever the dealer tosses in.  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:03:01 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tailhooker

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 08:33:42 pm »
Tail hooker,

The CM1 is a decent lifter. It's pretty basic but it does the job. I had one on my Caspain.

What hot tub is this lifter going on?   I ask as the Caspian was a 6 x 6 and I don't think I would put a larger cover on the CM1.   There were a few times when there was some slush on the cover and lifting it was very difficult.  My wife would also have a hard time lifiting the cover.   Usually to open it fully, I would fold it half over and then get in the tub and lift it all the way up by lifting from the middle of the cover.

when I got my Geneva, I upgraded to  the Pro lift II ($300?) which has the pnematic shock assists, and I think it's a great lifter.  The main difference being is to open the Pro lift II you flip the front half over (like all lifters) and then, rather than lift the folded cover, you gentley push the lifter back, and it goes up. Easy. I ca do it with a few fingers.

The PLII is also mounted directly to a metal brace in my cover and  I think it provides for a smoother lift. fliping the cover over a bar (asin the CM1) sometimes I felt that I could twist out (or rack) the bar. Not so with the Pro lift. Smooth and easy.

since the cover is mounted directly to the lifter, there is no need for cover clips/locks on the back of the spa.  For me, this is a huge plus. I hated walking around the spa to snap/unsnap the clips (espically in the winter). And it;s easy to forget about those back clips and I had snapped my fair share of them.  The Pro lift II style eliminates that.

If you are going to get a lifter that mounts directly into you hot tub cabinet, I would take a few minutes to decide wich one you want. as it will be with you for a long time.

The covermate I is a good, basic lifter and may serve you well.  So don't get me wrong...however,  are the better ones? Absolutey.  If you have it in your budget, go down to you dealer, and try them out and see if  they make a difference to you. :) I think too many people overlook the lifter and take what ever the dealer tosses in.  
Most likely looking at the Envoy, liked the jets best on that model.  I think that I am getting some steps built as part of my pool install so I might be able to trade no steps for an upgrade on the lifter.  I think that the dealer "gives" something similar to the GlideRite® Retractable Cover System  (the tub sits on top of the mechanism "i.e. no drilling into spa I think")
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:40:04 pm by Tailhooker »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:59 am »
When looking at cover lifters also consider how much clearence is required behind the spa, and how far down they lower the cover. Some folks like a cover lifter that lowers the cover as far down as possible, other prefer a cover sitting a bit higher (privacy, and a wind block.).

Have the wife come down to the showroom with you and have her try opening a few covers on her own, and see if she has a preference.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:04:26 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tailhooker

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:42 pm »
When looking at cover lifters also consider how much clearence is required behind the spa, and how far down they lower the cover. Some folks like a cover lifter that lowers the cover as far down as possible, other prefer a cover sitting a bit higher (privacy, and a wind block.).

Have the wife come down to the showroom with you and have her try opening a few covers on her own, and see if she has a preference.  ;)
Shouldn't have any problem with room behind the spa.  I know that all the covers in the stores are new.  Do all covers take on water eventually and when they do is much tougher to lift the cover if you don't have shocks? :-/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:24:04 pm by Tailhooker »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:18:15 pm »
Do all covers take on water eventually and when they do is much tougher to lift the cover if you don't have shocks? :-/

Yup.
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:51 pm »
We sell a good number of replacement cover lifters to people that think the lifter will work on 200 pound water logged covers.................they don't...nor do the shocks help much when the cover has absorbed 100 pounds of water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42