What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Good Price for Used Hot Tub  (Read 7554 times)

newbiespaguy

Good Price for Used Hot Tub
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:19:01 pm »
After getting cold feet about spending nearly 10k on a new tub, we are considering a slightly used one.  We can get a 2 1/2 year old Caldera Geneva unit for $4500 or a 1.5 yr old Hot Spring Grandee for $6,000.  

We would need to pick them up or pay someone to deliver for us.  Picking up a nearly 900 pound hot tub and driving it 1-4 hours seems scary.

Do these seem like good prices?  Any tips on either unit/brand or suggestions would be appreciated (especially the delivery ideas!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:19:52 pm by newbiespaguy »

Hot Tub Forum

Good Price for Used Hot Tub
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:19:01 pm »

newbiespaguy

Re: Good Price for Used Hot Tub???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:37 pm »
Hmmm.  Guess I should have posted this so it appears more as a question?
Looks like I am on my own unless someone can chime in with delivery suggestions and/or if the prices I am looking seem fair.

stevewhosau

Re: Good Price for Used Hot Tub
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:02:35 pm »
As a new spa owner, I am no expert on used pricing; those appear to be decent prices to pay for a brand name that is not that old. Are you able to view the tubs, and if so, are they full so you can verify operability and chemical trend?

In regards to driving, it appears you are trying to save money (staying away from near 10K purchase (I was there about four years ago)) I would think you could rent a flatbed truck with a nice lift-gate to assist the move with no issues for a 4 hour drive.

trippn

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
It can be tuff to get price quotes around here.:-X Wish I could help more; it seems like a fair price for the Hot Springs Spa.  I’m not familiar with Caldera.

You can contact your local Spa Dealers and see if they can recommend someone to move the spa.  You can also look for general movers and see if any are familiar with moving spas. The price would probably be in the $200-400 range.

Edit: Oops, missed the 1-4 hour drive. With gas prices, I'm sure the moving price would be more.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:20:19 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »
newbie.....depending on where you live you can use http://www.CraigsList.com as a resource for a used spa purchase in several ways.

#1. You can do some general price comparisions. Look on CraigsList in your own town and also in other comparable cities and do searches under "Hot Tub".

Without burning any gas you can browse the used market and get a feel for what used pricing is for spas you may have interest in.

Contact the individual private sellers via e-mail and ask them questions like what the condition is? if you can wet test it? are there any known problems? what they paid for the spa new? ask to see original sales reciepts, do they have service records? why are they selling? ask them where they bought it and you could contact the original seller/dealer and see if they will move it for you and also start a relationship for any service and chemical needs......ect.....

#2. I have seen ads on CraigsList of spa movers. Do a search in your area and see if any come up. Or you can place a FREE ad looking for a spa mover or also place a FREE ad looking for a used spa in excellent condition. Many people are hurting right now in these economic times and may see your ad and need 3-4 grand more than they need their hot tub.

Also once you find some used spas call the local dealer of that make and ask them if they would move it for you, if they won't call other spa dealers. You'll find someone that will do it. When you call dealers asking about spa moving......also ask them if they have any repos, trade-in, or used tubs for sale.

As far as pricing I'm not much help there, but you'll learn alot by studying/watching CraigsList for a month or so.

Educate yourself a bit and if you're patient you can probably run across a real steal on CraigsList, especially in these economic times.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:49:21 pm by Zep »

newbiespaguy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:57:57 pm »
Thanks to all for the helpful comments and suggestions.
We did watch and wait for a while before I actually started this thread.

We have decided on a 2007 HS Grandee for about half of what a new one would cost.
Only downside is we need to pick it up and deliver it to our house and we will be w/out warranty coverage.  But we feel good about our choice and can't wait to get it to our backyard for some relaxing soaks!

stevewhosau

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25:19 am »
Congrats! Here's to a successful drive and install.  8-)

starsky

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:23:53 am »
Good deal! I think most people will attest, you can save a lot of money buying a good, quality hot tub used. If you think a car loses value once off the lot, a hot tub is worse. I bought new because the odds of finding the particular spa I wanted used was unlikely, and I wasnt going to settle for just whatever came along. So for me it wouldnt work. But if you were in the market for one like that anyway, SCORE!

benalexe

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:02 am »
I moved my tube from new jersey to long island. The trip was about 90 miles.  Cost me $600 for the move then another $300 for the spa pad.  After electric, some needed parts, a cover lifter etc etc, i was in the entire deal for abut $2,000.   Still worth it for my spa.  I love it.

newbiespaguy

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:39 pm »
Curious........how did you move your spa?  
Did you do it yourself or have the dealer or a mover/hauler do it?

benalexe

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:40:25 pm »
I called the manufacturer. In my case it was Thermospas. I asked them if they move spas and they said no but they gave me the phone number of the firmt hey use to move them.  I called them.

newbiespaguy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »
Given the distance involved (about 500 miles round trip), I am going for the DIY approach.
Interesting to see if it is worth the trouble.

benalexe

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:52:32 pm »
Not sure about your tub but after watching the guys move mine I am so glad I had a professional do it.   I would have killed myself and ruined my tub.  

benalexe

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:57:45 pm »
Here are photos of my move.

newbiespaguy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »
Picked it up and delivered safely to my backyard.  
Having a truck and spa dolly like in the pictures would have been a lot easier than what we went through!!!  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42