What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Start up.....What are the basics?  (Read 3084 times)

newbiespaguy

Hot Tub Start up.....What are the basics?
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:42 pm »
Hopefully will be picking up the tub tomorrow and have it hooked up early next week.
Since we are not using a dealer, what are some helpful start up tips to get the spa going?
It's a HS Grandee (2007) and we are excited but don't know the first thing about preparing the water or what supplies we will need.  Any helpful tips?

Think of it as a "boot camp" for newbies!  

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Start up.....What are the basics?
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:42 pm »

benalexe

Re: Hot Tub Start up.....What are the basics?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »
You came to the right place.  First thing you should do when you get it is clean it out. I cleaned mine with car wash soap and then actually put a coat of spa wax on it.  Not sure If I would bother doing it again.

Then you fill the spa up and put in some swirl away to clean out and disinfect the lines.   Run it for a day like that.  Don't go in with swirl away in it.  

Drain the tub and then refil.

When I got mine I purchased new filters and put them in after the second refil.  THen I also got a Nature 2 cartridge and put in 4 oz of dichlor.  

My water tested pretty good so I was done.

Now when we use the tub I either put in a teaspoon of dichlor or a teaspoon of shock for each person that is in the tub.

On a weekly basis I put in 2 oz of dichlor to shock the water.

That's it.

Oh.. after a month you may want to drain it and refill.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:35 pm »
Water chemistry is a hard concept at first but really gets easy as you do it.

First decide if you're going to use bromine or chlorine - if chlorine the only stuff to use is dichlor (DO NOT buy Walmart spa chlorine). Both have good points - if you use bromine you need a bromine bank to have a reserve, chlorine can be added before or after using the tub.

You need a test kit or strips, personally I use a kit and once you get used to it - IMO it's the best way to test. The best kit is probably the Taylor K-2005 for chlorine, there is an equivilent Taylor kit for bromine.

I use baking soda to raise PH and alkalinity. They sell acid if either is too high.

Calcium hardness - some people believe in it and some don't. Based on the water testing, if the calcium is over 400 (I believe) you need scale inhibitor. Low calcium water can foam.

PH levels - 7.2 to 7.8, Calcium - 150 to 400, Alkalinity - 80 to 120.

You may want to buy new filters. If not buy a filter cleaner, soak them and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse rinse, rinse, RINSE. Personally unless you know the person you got the spa from - disinfect the filters - after filter cleaner, soak them in bleach and water solution and rinse. Clean the cover with a bleach and water solution, let dry and use 303 vinyl protector on the cover.

Depending on how clean the tub is ... (assuming the tub is dirty) - fill, shock with bleach/chlorine (high level - 50 PPM), run pumps for about 1 hour, turn every knob - make sure chlorinated water touches everything, drain.

(Start with clean tub) Fill, heat, put in PH stuff when about 80º, let it stay for at least 4 hours before retesting - overnight even better, test PH, add sanitizer, done. You can go in once it reaches close to your set temp without adding anything (think bathtub).

That's it in a nutshell. Oh yeah, I forgot - ENJOY!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
I agree with buying new filters for the tub.

I would also as suggested fill the tub and use a swirl away product,  drain, rinse very well and then refill.

You may also want to take a water sample to your local spa/pool place and have them run and anaylsis on your water.    :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:55:46 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:34:05 am »
Even if you did not buy from a dealer, one should be willing to help you if you purchase chemicals from them. First you need to decide which sanitizing system you will use, otherwise all this advice could get confusing.

I would clean the spa shell, but I would not suggest car wash. Swirl away should do the trick, then when you drain it you can clean with bleach and water. Make sure to get as much of the swirl away product out as you can. As stated, new filter would be great. If you are on a well you may need a metal remover or fill with a pre filter.

Once you decide on a sanitizing system, all of us could be of more help if you need. Enjoy!

Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »
One thing not mentioned yet is I had an electrican hook my tub up, pretty penny. I came out the next day and my tub was off, no power, I was furious. I thought maybe the electricians had did a shotty job. Nope, all me. Apparently some/most hot tubs run a CGFI test within the first 24 hours. Once you flip the breaker once the hot tub knows that the breaker works and that it is safe. Just flip it and never worry about it again.

Good luck and happy soakings.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:21 pm »
Apparently some/most hot tubs run a CGFI test within the first 24 hours. Once you flip the breaker once the hot tub knows that the breaker works and that it is safe. Just flip it and never worry about it again.

Good luck and happy soakings.

This is actually a newer feature on the high end Balboa - not sure how many spas have this safety feature at this point.
I don't know that any of the proprietary technology has it yet.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42