What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Industry Eggheads....  (Read 13957 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Industry Eggheads....
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:44 pm »

Where you a drama or journalism major?   Film at 11?

Close...art and journalism.

Sorry for the delay, I just got to work at 3:00.

First off, thank you all very much for the information.  Here's the scoop:

A gentleman came to my store about 3 weeks ago looking at spas.  We had a good visit and I expected him to buy a spa from me.  He didn't.

Instead, he calls me yesterday and is pretty disheartened.  According to him, he was all set to buy a HotSpring when his now ex-girlfriend told him to buy a TurdSpa from the local Bottomfeeding Conman.  In order to appease her, he went and looked at them.  Ol' Conman is slick!  He sweet talked the girlfriend, told them he wanted to give her a job because she was so pretty and smart, and just liked them so much that he would make them a great deal on the floor model he had sitting in the showroom.  The victim said he'd have to think about it.

Shortly thereafter, the victim receives a call from Ol' Conman sweetening the deal and applying pressure that the TurdSpa would probably be gone pretty quick.  The victim agreed to the deal but stated that he was out of town and would not be back for a few days and did not want the spa to be delivered until he could be at home.  "No problem" says Conman..."Jest gimme yore credit card number and that spa'll be yores!"  Done.  

Well, the gentleman admittedly was not thinking with his brain when he made the deal.

Long story, short version:  the spa was delivered while the victim was out of town.  It had no cover.  It had no paperwork.  There were 4 cracks in the fiberglass shell.  Jets were discolored.  Rust and mildew were prevalent throughout the inside and outside.  Strange modifications had been made to the spa's frame.

The victim came home, was highly pissified, and demanded retribution.  Conman says "we can come out and fix it right up".  They brought a cover that was 6" too big and the straps did not even come close to matching up to the cover locks.  Victim says 'this is BS', Conman says 'Tough squat!'

I was asked to come and give an expert assessment of the spa for the CC company.  I took several pictures that I will post soon.  I will just say that it is a travesty that there are dealers like this in the spa industry.  They should be tarred and feathered.

Term
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:55:23 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:44 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »
I dont think only 24 hours in any sun would cause that much damage. It sounds like it was pulled from the demolition bin at the dump. I hope his cc company backs him up, and I bet he will purchase his next spa from you!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:08:01 pm »
I dont think only 24 hours in any sun would cause that much damage. It sounds like it was pulled from the demolition bin at the dump. I hope his cc company backs him up, and I bet he will purchase his next spa from you!

I agree.  After reading through the posts, everyone seems to be of the opinion that the spa would most likely blister instead of cracking.  The victim believes that the spa that was delivered was not the same one he saw in the showroom.  When we took the side panel off, it was downright pitiful inside.  We could not find a serial number or manufacturer's name inside the cabinet.  

The really sad part is that the guy paid $8800 for it! :o

Term

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 04:18:03 pm »
I keep telling myself there really aren't people like that out there. And I tell my wife she's gullible. I outght to look in the mirror.

Is it possible that this "salesperson" (make that scumbag) could be subjected to some sort of retribution? By that I mean does the consumer actually have some sort of legal recourse?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 04:19:57 pm »

I agree.  After reading through the posts, everyone seems to be of the opinion that the spa would most likely blister instead of cracking.  The victim believes that the spa that was delivered was not the same one he saw in the showroom.  When we took the side panel off, it was downright pitiful inside.  We could not find a serial number or manufacturer's name inside the cabinet.  

The really sad part is that the guy paid $8800 for it! :o

Term
Holy cow! $8800.00!!!!! Did he get a bridge in the desert to go with it?!

I hope the guy that sold it goes down....HARD. Slimeball!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 04:37:04 pm »
Here are some pics of the cabinet:

Here are some of the shell:

Just wait, it gets better...or worse...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:43:49 pm by East_TX_Spa »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53:44 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »
Ya gotta admit, the new cover looked nice!

There's just something really classy about square-cornered covers on rounded-corner spas:

The cover strap is a tiny bit too short:

Damn near a perfect fit:

Term

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »
 :o   I would burn the store down!   That thing is worth 1000 tops if that on a good day, less with the cover that came with it.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »
Term,
Do the guy a favor and have him contact his credit card company and reverse the charges. Since the guy took the number over the phone and he didn't deliver the product that was promised this is exactly what purchase protection is all about on credit cards. After that they can come and get the tub and he can buy a new one from you.

Please save this guy.....

Scott  >:(
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 06:36:29 pm »
I'm always trying to look out for the consumer.  Being a consumer myself, I have been tricked into buying a butt-load of crap on more than one occasion by a good sales goober.  Therefore, I will always do my best to help someone out who has been wronged.

The credit card company is withholding payment pending my and another industry professional's opinion.  I will keep you updated and let you know which disgraceful company this is when the time is appropriate.

Term
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:36:51 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:47:13 pm »

The credit card company is withholding payment pending my and another industry professional's opinion.  I will keep you updated and let you know which disgraceful company this is when the time is appropriate.

Term

I think you should include your famous diagram of how the filtration system works on that type spa when you send out your prefessional evaluation.

Maybe also a conclusion page where Unlce Remis lays out all the issues you see.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 06:57:48 pm »

I think you should include your famous diagram of how the filtration system works on that type spa when you send out your prefessional evaluation.

Maybe also a conclusion page where Unlce Remis lays out all the issues you see.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 11:44:45 pm »
I can't help but thinking something is fishy with the girlfriend story. Either she had a hand in all this mess...or he fabricated her to have an excuse for a very bad decision on his part.   :-/

He needs all the help he can get...Since he didn't sign for the delivery (he claims he wasn't home), he should have no problem getting this straightened out.

Keep us posted..this is almost as exciting as my soaps!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:57:27 am »
I'm glad I don't have a credit card that would take $8800.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:57:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42