What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with a Hot Spot Sorento tub electic question  (Read 1763 times)

pattyann

Help with a Hot Spot Sorento tub electic question
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:45:15 am »
Hi
I have been here before with questions (using a new user name cause i can't get in with the old one)
I have a sorrento tub for a year.
I bought a cover lifter and it cannot be installed the way the tub is set on the patio now.
I have it next to the house on one side, near a rail on the other and near the deck on the other.
they can turn the tub so that the lifter can be installed. It lifts the cover and sets it next to the tub.

Now the question: when we turn the tub (not me the installer) the electric cord will not reach to the place to plug it in.
Can I have an electrician put on a longer cord. Would that void a warranty on the tub.
I can't move the plug in socket cause it would be to close to the tub I think it has to be 5 feet away.
The electrican said he can do it. But I am hoping someone that deals with Hot Spot can give me confirmation (or not)
appreciate your help
I had lots of chemical questions and you guys were great
pat

Hot Tub Forum

Help with a Hot Spot Sorento tub electic question
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:45:15 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Help with a Hot Spot Sorento tub electic quest
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:14 pm »
 I don't see any reason why a licensed electrician guy couldn't do it. As long as he uses the right gauge wire and its GFCI protected, it shouldn't void your warranty?

Least one would think. ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »
Technically it is a UL question.  On a practical level it should not void warranty.  Also should not cause any problems.

However, you should check with your dealer.  They are the ones who would interpret the warranty for you.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

pattyann

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:18:03 pm »
thanks
I don't want to badmouth any dealers but mine is less than helpful and the only hot spot guy within 50miles.
I did call the 800 number and they said they didn't think it was a good idea to lenghten the cord something about amps adding the length would lower the amps???
they said it could do damage.
however, they suggested moving the outlet itself closer within the 5 ft. he said the only reason that is a law is that you don't sit in the tub and touch it.
it would still be far enough away just probably not 5 ft and i would NEVER sit in the tub and touch it nor would anyone else in my household.
what do you think of that option
i really want a cover lifter, i am old and getting more tired by the day
pat

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:38:37 pm »
Pat,

The factory suggestion is the best.  They are concerned with a longer cord potential amperage drop.  
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:38:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42