What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The huge spa show  (Read 3638 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
The huge spa show
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
 So I went in ready to shop these bozo's and they were indeed out of Seattle, probably had 130 spas set up none running.
Phoenix,keys backyard, LA spas,Clearwater spas and Artesian.    When I walked in with a light coat over my Jacuzzi shirt,I felt like a deer walking into a group of lions that hadn't  ate in a year, very strange feeling and not comfortable at all from a consumers view.

Anyway onto the shopping, didn't work!  Right off the bat, a guy that use to work for NDS and also works the Sundance booth right across from us every year at the fair was there so the jig was up, :'(
He came up and we talked for awhile.  All 15 yes 15 of the guys were from California to Florida and 1 from the Seattle store that set the show up.

It was impressive with all the spas set up in a row,but the salesman waiting to pounce was overwhelming.
  We ended up selling 5 at our 3 day event, we had way more fireplace,AC and wood stove action than we had spa customers.  The 5 we sold had all been up at the big spa show and felt the same way I did, and was not going to buy from an out of town company.   They all said it was dead there, I am sure they sold a few to some, time will tell as they will need help with chems so we shall see.

Anyway not quite what I wanted to accomplish by shopping, but I don't believe they sold nearly what they needed to to meet the cost they shelled out.

Lets see??

Ads on every local radio station AM and FM at least 30 times a day for 6 days back to back.
Full page newspaper ad everyday in 2 different papers
The cost of transporting 100 plus spas from Seattle to Bellingham 100 miles to and from
labor to do so, also airfare and hotel rooms for 15 guys for 3 days, plus commissions for them at probably 7% and a guarantee of a daily rate if they sold nothing?  

My guess is, they would have to have had sold at least 50 plus spas if not more to break even.

Seems like quite a gamble to me the good thing is maybe they learned a lesson and wont be back.

Hot Tub Forum

The huge spa show
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re:  The huge spa show
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:49:55 pm »
 Wow 23 views no comments?? Tough crowd  ;D

Tom

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
What is there to say?   :D

Water Boy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:19:08 pm »
Congrats on your five spa sale weekend Jim. Not a bad weekend in mid July heat!! Too bad you got caught shopping the competition.  ;)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
When we used NDS we paid 10% commissions.

15 sales guys and 130 spas!  That is nuts in 2008.

Can you imagine the labor to set it up?

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »
When we used NDS we paid 10% commissions.

15 sales guys and 130 spas!  That is nuts in 2008.

Can you imagine the labor to set it up?

I dont think these guys were NDS but  EX-NDS  from what this Dave guy was telling me, Lance is not doing very well??   And most of his old timers are setting up shows/deals themselves.   Makes sense!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »
Given the brands, I am sure they were not NDS.  They were always hit and miss anyway.  A few good ones mixed with several who I wouldn't ever hire. :o
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42