What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alkalinity Problems  (Read 2647 times)

Tdbo

• 2007 Sundance Hartford 1994 Vita Spa Ambiance
Alkalinity Problems
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:33 pm »
In 14 plus years of having a spa, I have never had this issue to this degree.  Since I filled up the new tub in May, I have had Ph problems.  Kept having to put in Ph Plus to keep Ph in 7.2 to 7.4 range.  Alk was in the 120-130 range during this time.  Finally dumped water and refilled about 10 days ago.  Put Ph stabilizer in on refill to stablize Ph.  Ph is good but alk has spiked into the 160-180 range.  I didn't want to use Ph down because Ph has finally stabilized.  Have put in white vinegar in 1 and 2 oz doses. Yesterday, added one 1 oz dose and two 2 oz doses of white vinegar, and Ph stayed in range and Alk dropped to 135.  Today, Ph is 7.4 and Alk has spiked to 177.  I'm unsure as to whether continue w/ the vinegar or just start dumping Ph down into the tub.  Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Alkalinity Problems
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:33 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Alkalinity Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:59:01 pm »
PH down and vinegar are basically the same thing with the question of which is more acidic.

It may be the PH stabilizer, I don't use it but that's what the alkalinity does, lock in the PH.

I think you're fighting a dual battle alkalinity high and it is locked in.

Did you ever use just baking soda to raise the PH and alkalinity? Or if your alkalinity is fine but PH low - soda ash.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:04:46 pm »
Don't even look at pH until your alk is in range.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:06 am »
In 14 plus years of having a spa, I have never had this issue to this degree.  Since I filled up the new tub in May, I have had Ph problems.  Kept having to put in Ph Plus to keep Ph in 7.2 to 7.4 range.  Alk was in the 120-130 range during this time.  Finally dumped water and refilled about 10 days ago.  Put Ph stabilizer in on refill to stablize Ph.  Ph is good but alk has spiked into the 160-180 range.  I didn't want to use Ph down because Ph has finally stabilized.  Have put in white vinegar in 1 and 2 oz doses. Yesterday, added one 1 oz dose and two 2 oz doses of white vinegar, and Ph stayed in range and Alk dropped to 135.  Today, Ph is 7.4 and Alk has spiked to 177.  I'm unsure as to whether continue w/ the vinegar or just start dumping Ph down into the tub.  Any suggestions?

You have to use PH down to get the alk in range FIRST.  Then start working on the PH.  It's the ONLY way.  I know as high alk is about the only water condition issue I have in this area.  I fought it about 20 different ways trying to lower alk only over the first year or two I had this tub.  Even tried muratic acid.  Nothing works like just giving up and dorpping the PH to the super low area to get alk in line.  Then when raising, do NOT use the baking soda shortcut.  That raises ALK and PH and hurts even more.  Rather, you need to us PH up.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42