What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Kodiak Legend Extreme  (Read 7124 times)

Steelerpete

Kodiak Legend Extreme
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:34 pm »
Hi everyone, haven't been here for awhile because we've been loving our tub (Coyote Renegade by Arctic) anyways, we've loved the tub so much we are thinking of upgrading to the Cadillac of Arctic's and getting the  Kodiak Legend Extreme. Anyone have this tub and what pros/cons are there with the lounger. My wife wants the chair so she can lie down and get the legs better. We are getting the Onzen system which is a Salt/Ozone system to cut down on chems; and less water dumps, and better for the skin. Anyone have the system in there tubs so I can get first hand advise as to how good the system is? Or does anyone have the salt water system in there Arctic and can give info. on the system. Thanks, and happy tubbing. :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:46:01 pm by Steelerpete »

Hot Tub Forum

Kodiak Legend Extreme
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:34 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Kodiak Legend Extreme
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
Anyone have this tub and what pros/cons are there with the lounger.

The pros are that when someone fits a lounge well they often love the feel of an inclined massage.

The cons are too many people buy without wet testing and not everyone fits a lounge, regardless of design. A well designed lounge will fit more people than a poorly designed one but its not like 90% of the people out there will fit well in a good lounge. They're just not for everyone. Plus lounges take up a good bit of space so you need to know its right for you. If I were you I would not make this switch until wifey tried out the lounge (especially if she's vertically challenged).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:47 pm »
"a Salt/Ozone system to cut down on chems;
and less water dumps, and better for the skin"

i would like to know more about salt systems
in theory they sound good
but I just wonder if that is reality?

my brother was speaking with a huge local pool company
they have basically stopped building salt pools
the pool company rep stated they stopped pushing salt
because they cause too many headaches for warranty work & lawsuits
but i'm not sure about salt water hot tubs
i guess watch out for corrosion

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:07:46 pm by Zep »

Calypso

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:39:33 pm »
We have a salt water system and we love it. It is not really "salt" as the system uses sodium bromide and converts it to bromine.

Here is the thread that offers the best info. Thanks again J.C.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1173291384/34#34

2007 Pacific Calypso

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »
my brother was speaking with a huge local pool company
they have basically stopped building salt pools
the pool company rep stated they stopped pushing salt
because they cause too many headaches for warranty work & lawsuits
but i'm not sure about salt water hot tubs
i guess watch out for corrosion

Now, that's interesting.  I recently got a memo from our sales manager to the effect that Hot tub manufacturers who don't have a salt system will try to convince you that any salt system is bad.  They say such things as "Salt is corrosive", "Salt doesn't work", "Salt has been tried and abandoned by many manufacturers", "Your skin will feel itchy from all the salt", "Draining a salt water spa will kill your lawn", "The generator runs all day long and uses a lot of electricity" and so on.

Here's his response:
  • Sea water (35000 ppm) is about 10 times more saline than the water used to generate chlorine  (2500 ppm). A teardrop is about 8000 ppm.  Water from your spa will not kill your grass any more than crying on it would.
  • Got a water softener?  Then you're adding salt, and replacing the "hard" calcium content  with "soft" sodium.  Does soft water make you itchy, or does it just feel silky and smooth on your skin?  
  • Salt systems are widely used in Australia (where 90% of swimming pools used them as of 2004); exaggerated sales claims when the units were first introduced in the US in the 1970s led to consumer rejection but the newer units are gradually gaining acceptance.
  • Salt below 3500 ppm is not corrosive to spa parts. However, if water is splashed around the spa onto metal parts, the water will evaporate and the remaining salt residue can be corrosive...so wipe or hose it off.
  • Letting the pH or chlorine level get out of range can result in corrosive water even without a salt system, so the spa owner must continue to maintain proper water balance
  • An Onzen system works 24/7 to keep your water pure, using about the same amount of electricity as a 40W bulb (and our electronics engineer was working on an improved power supply last time I walked by the lab, so we may cut that down even more)
Pro-salt propaganda or plain fact?  Let the debate begin.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:14:01 pm by Graybeard »

Steelerpete

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:52 am »
Arctic Releases 2008 Product Line

Posted By: Communications
2008-03-07 10:35:10Onzen components
The future of water care is natural, and easy on the environment. Arctic's ONZENŽ automated water system combines patented ozone technology and natural sea salt into a single system that will save you time, reduce the need for chemicals, and allow you to enjoy soft, sparkling water with a minimum of fuss.

The ONZENŽ system integrates several cutting-edge technologies for high performance, but running it is as easy as using a microwave.

1. Sea salt is the base, for naturally soft, sparkling water.
   2. The Onzen Generator produces ozone with no corrosion.
   3. A new V3 Injector ensures better ozone penetration into the water.
   4. A Lippert Mixer allows for better ozone absorption.
   5. Durable, low-maintenance Titanium electrodes activate the salt system to help sanitize the water.
   6. A waterproof digital water tester gives you easy, accurate measurements.

What's the result of all this? Water care made simple.
improved ozone injector and countercurrent mixing chamber. The system is conveniently controlled from the spa topside and can use either sodium or bromine salt. (Silver ion system available US and Europe only for 2008, expected in Canada in 2009) .

This is a little info I found on the Arctic website, the sales man says that Onzen is a much improved system compared to the salt system that they have been using for the last few years.

Thanks for all the info that you can provide,

Pete  :)

Zep

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:25 am »
"What's the result of all this? Water care made simple"

If this is true Arctic Spas may have just hit a "home run"!

:)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:54:39 am »
"What's the result of all this? Water care made simple"

If this is true Arctic Spas may have just hit a "home run"!

:)

This is Arctic. They don't hit home runs, they score goals!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:08:19 am »
LOL.....true Spatech......but dont forget about the

Calypso

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:25:38 pm »
Those were the days. It was great being a Canadian and being in a pub just across the border watching that series. The US got even with us though by stealing the Stanley Cup.
2007 Pacific Calypso

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:41:29 pm »
Steelerpete--

hope your name means you're a Steeler fan!!!!!!!!

Sorry--

My friend has a Kodiak LE bought here south of Pgh and loves it, her only complaints, is she floats out of the lounger and wishes she hadn't gotten it.  Other than that, her only other issue has been fading gray pillows, which the dealer has been working with her on.  I haven't asked if she got it resolved.

I have been waiting to wet test a Tundra, but as most have noticed, life got busy and I haven't been posting much, nor wet testing.

My best advice is wet test the lounger.  You can't go wrong with Arctic!!

Chrisi--fellow Steeler/Passion/Pens?pirates fan!!! ;)

PS--she paid around 10k, but I don't think she has Onzen, just the Ozone system, but that included wraparound steps and a bar/seats too!!  Not to mention the other necessities-chems/cover/lifter--no stereo though.  Happy tubbing!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:43:20 pm by wewannahottub »
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Steelerpete

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:46:05 pm »
Well we tried the Kodiak and the lounger was ok but it's a 1/4 of the tub, so now we are considering the Summit which has 3 great captain chairs. Hey, wewannahottub is that the going price for the Arctic's in the USA, in Canada they are asking 15700.00 for the Summit LE with all the bells and whistles. Plus tax. Or did your friend get a floor model or a lightly used tub. Thanks,

Pete :) :)

P.S. Yes I'm a huge Steelers fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:47:45 pm by Steelerpete »

Jet Sitter

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:31 pm »
Arctic Releases 2008 Product Line

Posted By: Communications
2008-03-07 10:35:10Onzen components
The future of water care is natural, and easy on the environment. Arctic's ONZENŽ automated water system combines patented ozone technology and natural sea salt into a single system that will save you time, reduce the need for chemicals, and allow you to enjoy soft, sparkling water with a minimum of fuss.

Well, if this system lives up to its full potential it could open up a new frontier.

Image inviting friends over for a soak in your new sea salt pool.  After everyone has been in the tub for awhile and is all relaxed you ask "Is anyone else hungry?".  Your guests respond "Yeah, I am starved and start to rise up out of the tub."  "Hold on - sit tight" you say as you reach over to the cool down seat near the captains chair and pull up a tray of assorted shellfish - clams, mussels scallops all still living but cooked to perfection by the 104 degree heat.  Of course, this is just the appetizer.  Note the look on your friends' faces as you reach down into the footwell and pull up a live maine lobster in each hand, again perfectly slow cooked in the gentle spa sea water.  Hint - place a large rubber band around each claw before placing the lobster in the tub.

A home run?  I'd say they hit the ball out of the park and into orbit, around the moon!

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:55 pm »
Well we tried the Kodiak and the lounger was ok but it's a 1/4 of the tub, so now we are considering the Summit which has 3 great captain chairs. Hey, wewannahottub is that the going price for the Arctic's in the USA, in Canada they are asking 15700.00 for the Summit LE with all the bells and whistles. Plus tax. Or did your friend get a floor model or a lightly used tub. Thanks,

Pete :) :)

P.S. Yes I'm a huge Steelers fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOHOO!!  Steeler fan over the border!!

Back to biz--she got a floor model.  Funny thing is-she was never even interested in spas, and wanted a pool, but when she started looking, her hubby begged the salesperson to PLEASE sell her anything spa and not pool---sale was made--never even wet tested it!!

I do know that a Summit would be more==we are looking at a TUndra and I think they are going to get it to us for about 12 k with NL deluxe, wet tunes, and some other extras (basics) but I think that was an in-stock model that didn't have Onzen.  We will opt for ordering one when we are ready, since we are kinda picky.
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42