What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Current Thoughts on Sanitizer Choice  (Read 4096 times)

Jet Sitter

Current Thoughts on Sanitizer Choice
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:04 pm »
We're slowly making progress on the spa wet testing front and learning more about what will be a good choice for us.  I am looking ahead a little to what spa maintenace will be like.  i have been reading through past threads about chemistry etc. and know that each approach has its pros and cons.  From looking at spas I see that some have proprietary systems to attempt to simplify spa maintenance but what are current opinions about two non-proprietary approaches?

What is the current thinking about Nature 2 + a little chlorine vs Baqua spa?  Perhaps using an ozonator with either system.  Feel free to comment on other alternatives if you feel there are better ways to go, but what are your thoughts if you were to choose one of these two systems?  Many Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Current Thoughts on Sanitizer Choice
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:04 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Current Thoughts on Sanitizer Choice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:41 pm »

What is the current thinking about Nature 2 + a little chlorine vs Baqua spa?  Perhaps using an ozonator with either system.  Feel free to comment on other alternatives if you feel there are better ways to go, but what are your thoughts if you were to choose one of these two systems?  Many Thanks!

I personally am a big believer in Ozone, Nature 2 and adding chlorine AFTER each use.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:36:04 pm »
I have found once the tub gets stablilized it is really easy to maintain with the cartridge and adding the dichlor. It is important to get all the tub balanced and with that enjoy. Clean the filters regularly too!

Scott  :P

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »
I've experimented with dichlor, Nature2, ozone, and mps over the past 18 months.

First fill- I used dichlor post soak, ozone, and once a week I added 2 ounces of mps.

Next few fills- I used dichlor, ozone, N2, and mps weekly.

Last few fills- I've only been using dichlor and ozone.

Future fills(once ozonator fails)- I'm gonna try to only use dichlor.

I used to be a fairly big proponet of N2 until I stopped using it and didn't notice a significant difference in water quality. Especially a $35 one. If you do decide to get an ozonator, go with a high output CD unit. You shouldn't need to use mps if you get one. They pretty much take care of the same things. Another reason I don't recommend it's use(especially for newbies) is that when it's present in the water, it plays havoc with your pH and chlorine readings.

Long story short, I'd recommend dichlor and a high output ozonator. All you need to do from there is add about a 3ppm dose of dichlor daily and depending on your usage, add a 10+ ppm dose every 7 - 14 days. It can really be that simply. Heck, all I've done my last 2 fills is add (2-3) 5ppm doses a week and one 10ppm dose every two weeks and nothing else. Keep it simple and you'll really cut down on the Tylenol.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:39:15 pm by WHY_NOT »

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:32 pm »
Been only up since Friday but using N2, possibly ozone not sure if it is working, and I am putting about an ounce of shock (activator)  post soak.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »

I personally am a big believer in Ozone, Nature 2 and adding chlorine AFTER each use.

This is has been a very simple routine for myself as well. This guy really knows his stuff..........
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Calypso

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:10 pm »
Just to muddy the waters you also have the choice of a salt water system or genesis system that will convert sodium bromide to bromine. It has been 8 weeks now and the water is clear and I have had to do nothing since May 19th other than adding Ph down once and the Ph and bromine have remained at 7.5 and 4 respectively. We have been soaking 8 times a week. We also have an ozonator

one of the arctic dealers can probably offer more info or go to

http://www.spapurification.com/GENESIS_Bromine_Generator.php

We love this system so far and time will tell if it is worth it.
2007 Pacific Calypso

Jet Sitter

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 01:10:17 pm »
So far it sounds like folks like dichlor and ozone, and some really like to add Nature 2 as well.  One fan of bromine or related system but not yet any fans of Baqua Spa.  Are there no Baqua Spas users or have you tried it and decided to go another way?

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 02:17:54 pm »
I used Baqua for a year or so, it’s really easy to use. The sanitizer last a long time and it’s easy on your skin with no odor.  With this being said, there are some real issues with it.  The main problem is you get a sticky build up at the water line that is difficult to remove. It’s also hard on your filter cartridge and can really clog it up fast. It’s a shame really, I wanted to keep using it.
It's all about da bubbles!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:10 pm »
So far it sounds like folks like dichlor and ozone, and some really like to add Nature 2 as well.  One fan of bromine or related system but not yet any fans of Baqua Spa.  Are there no Baqua Spas users or have you tried it and decided to go another way?
Baqa has also had issues with eatting away plastics in the tub. I would choose another route.

Nature 2 or the frog are pretty good. Brilliance chlorine free bromine systems are good. The auto systems mentioned seem to be working well for people too.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:02:02 pm »
Baqa has also had issues with eatting away plastics in the tub. I would choose another route.

Nature 2 or the frog are pretty good. Brilliance chlorine free bromine systems are good. The auto systems mentioned seem to be working well for people too.

That reminds me, some manufactures do not recommend or support the use of Baqua.  Check with your dealer to see if it would void your warranty.  I know it’s OK to use in Watkins spas.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:04:03 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »
One of the dealers we have spoken with seems to be a big fan of Baqua Spa.  I was a little surprised based on what I had read about it in the past.  It sounds like it has its application but there are some negatives to be converned about.  Based on this it seems like it might not be the first choice you would use, but if you had sensitivity to chlorine and bromine it is a good solution.  I'll share my thoughts with him and see what he says.  Maybe he'll acknowledge the shortcomings but explain a practical way to deal with them.  Maybe he'll say that the other alternatives are great if you are able to stay on tops of things on daily or nearly so basis.  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42