What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which one do I choose?  (Read 13565 times)

stones81

Which one do I choose?
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »
I got it narrowed down to the HotSprings Vanguard  :-/ and the Jacuzzi J-365. I haven't been able to wet test the J-365 yet, but I'm trying to get the local dealer to fill it up. I have a few questions for the forum though:
1. Which one is insulated better?
2. Which one is more energy efficient?
3. Which tub has a better warranty?
4. Which company has a better service reputation?
5. Lastly, what would be a fair price for each including steps and a lifter? I'm trying to get an avg. based on prices around the USA.
Thanks guys! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Which one do I choose?
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »

Merlin

• Just here to help.
Re: Which one do I choose?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 04:33:54 pm »
This ought to be fun!!   ;)

1. Vanguard
2. Vanguard
3. Vanguard
4. Hotspring
5. In my area = $8995

But in all seriousness they are both fantastic tubs. Wet testing is really the only way to know what spa you want to buy. That way YOU know what YOU like and what feels good to YOU and really thats all that matters when buying a spa.

There may be a lot of bickering in this thread because its a loaded topic and each of us will  respectably tell you all about our spas and what features make them great, but it's really about what you like the most.

So with that said....let the games begin!  :)

Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:46:32 pm »

I have my popcorn, time for the show.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:07:15 pm »

1. Vanguard
2. Vanguard
3. Vanguard
4. Hotspring
5. In my area = $8995

But in all seriousness they are both fantastic tubs. Wet testing is really the only way to know what spa you want to buy. That way YOU know what YOU like and what feels good to YOU and really thats all that matters when buying a spa.

There may be a lot of bickering in this thread because its a loaded topic and each of us will  respectably tell you all about our spas and what features make them great, but it's really about what you like the most.

So with that said....let the games begin!  :)
Merlin is a Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »
Yes, and your point is?
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:45:33 pm »
Yes, and your point is?
Geez, My Point is: Merlin is a Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California. What other point is there?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:53:19 pm »
Picking between the Hot Springs Vanguard and the Jacuzzi J-365 is like picking between a Lincoln and a Cadillac. You can't go wrong with either one. Like Merlin said wet test and which ever feels best, take it home and enjoy. My disclaimer at the bottom of my post is that I own a Jacuzzi J-470 and love it. IMHO you have picked two of the top lines on the market and you can't go wrong when you stay with the major quality lines. A J-365 goes for about $7800 in my area before taxes.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:07:18 pm »
For what it is worth, Hot Spring published third party testing for energy use of the Sovereign.  The Vanguard would be about the same.

All Hot Spring Spas are California Energy Commission certified as performing at acceptable levels for energy consumption in "stand by" mode.  Last I checked Jacuzzi is not.

However, wet test.  Check out your dealers.  Buy from who you are comfortable with; you will be doing business with them as long as the spa is under warranty.

I believe the prices Merlin and Swell Tub mentioned are fairly typical.  Jacuzzi Jim could check in here regarding Jacuzzi pricing.  

Bottom line, you will love either one!
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »
Geez, My Point is: Merlin is a Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California. What other point is there?

;)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:57:23 pm »
since the tubs are pretty much equal

it may come down to which dealer you feel will be there for you if you need them

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11:20 pm »
since the tubs are pretty much equal

it may come down to which dealer you feel will be there for you if you need them

With two good options to choose from concentrate on the dealer, the price( /package deal) and the wet test.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 08:20:28 pm »
Not to spice this thread up or anything but a good dealer is a very important point. Many dealers don't service what they sell in my area. Only Hot Springs and Sundance had a service department in my area. I think the reason Hot Springs has it's own service department here in Las Vegas is because it takes so many technicians to repair the Hot Springs Spa on the strip that the bikini models sit in all day. You know what I mean, the first tech gets on site and figures out that some long hair is stuck in the filter and he calls for backup who forgets his tools. Then he calls the next guy to bring the tools and he forgets the chemicals. Before it's over you have as many technicians as there is models ;D. I kid, I kid.  Even Artesian which is manufactured in Las Vegas where I live has another spa service take care of warranty and service issues.

So while a dealer is the one to go to bat for you and is very important during and after the sell. I would also recommend you find a great spa repair service who has an arrangement with your dealer not to charge you service calls on warranty issues. I'm told that most warranty related issues are taken care of in the first 30 - 90 days, after that it is smooth sailing if you buy a quality brand. Since I'm new to the spa scene I don't know if this statement is true or not. My Jacuzzi dealer has an arrangement with a local spa service and all warranty related trips to my house are free for the first year. With some other brands all visits were $65 - $80 even on warranty.

Another thing to consider it that Hot Springs is Watkins premier line. Jacuzzi has 100, 200, 300. and 400 series lines. With Jacuzzi the 400 series would be comparable to the Hot Springs in features. The Jacuzzi J-365 is a fantastic tub but if you are comparing it to a Hot Springs you might be comparing Apples to Oranges. IMHO of course. OK it might be time to grab the popcorn.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »
 Let me start by saying both are very nice spa's, and you would be happy with either!!

Looking at the specs sheet feature for feature there are differences.

Vangaurd    7"3 X 7'3 X 36"                J-365 7'6 X 7' X 38"

32 jets                                            32 jets    
 circ pump yes                                  circ pump yes
 water features  squirting water           water fall with colored lights   looks nice
2,  1.65 continuous pumps                  2,  2.5 continuous pumps 1 is a 2 speed for more variation
 150 sq ft filtration (no by-pass)          120 sq filtration with debris trap (no one has one)  only 1 pmp is by pass 1
                                                        is dedicated to the circ pmp  both do a
                                                        great job it really comes down to how well you maintain your chemicals.
colored lights yes                                yes  lighted water fall and low beverage light indicators
Shell color option HS 4                        Jacuzzi 9
stereo yes                                         yes
controls reach over side (one remote on top)      mounted on top for easy access
ABS pan (base) no                              yes 6" no wood rot or infestation
Foot jets, 2 not well placed (IMO)4 calf       Foot jets yes 5 with 4 calf jets
Warranty 7 years shell/surface             Jacuzzi 10 year
plumbing 5                                          5
component 5                                       5
stereo 1                                              2
heater 5 year no fault                           5 year its never your fault least in the 6 yrs we have been doing it, its
                                                             always electrical if anything not chemical or other.    

I don't know, each one is very nice spa in its own way, prices will vary.  In this area J-365 8495.00 Vangaurd prolly around 9000+

Like everyone said wet test and let your body decide, but when you look at the features the J-365 has to offer, its hard to beat.

Insulation wise and power consumption should be pretty close to the same doubt any consumer could tell the difference in real world everyday use.

Overall let your body decide which you like better, and which one fits your needs comfort wise and how many people you can fit in it, if that matters also as mentioned, make sure the dealer is good, get references if any doubt.

See that wasn't so bad yet!!  ;D   No need for popcorn yet.  :'(   Lets keep the replies civil, I will!  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:12:36 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 02:07:02 pm »
1. Number of jets on Vanguard is 32...not 22

2. Control panel...there is one on the front of the spa and another inside the spa for ease of use

3. Foot Jets...the Vanguard has 2 large JetStream Jets as well as 4 Precision Jets for the calves

:)Term

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:54 pm »
 Amazing what I can see when I put my readers on!!! :o    Revised 5/27/08

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42