What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I can't imagine this thermospas being very efficen  (Read 5506 times)

benalexe

I can't imagine this thermospas being very efficen
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:56 am »
I spent the weekend cleaning out my tub polishing it, getting it ready for water and the electric hook up. With any luck I will be soaking by next weekend.

One thing I noticed is that this thing does not seem like it is will insulated at all.  It's got some bubble wrap and a piece of styrofoam around it. Thats it.   I just does not seem well insulated.

Hot Tub Forum

I can't imagine this thermospas being very efficen
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:56 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: I can't imagine this thermospas being very eff
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:26 am »
Sounds like you may be getting a nice Christmas card from your power company this year.....  :-/

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:27:46 am »
try it and you will see.
i had the same thing on my old tub. it still was ok

Brothersean

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:32:08 am »
Hey Bene,

Have you ever asked your brother what it cost him to operate? From what you have said it probably didn't matter much to him though!! ;D

Good luck...........Sean

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:32:09 am »
What are the climates like where the two of you live?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:56:16 am »
Hey Bene,

Have you ever asked your brother what it cost him to operate? From what you have said it probably didn't matter much to him though!! ;D

Good luck...........Sean
You are correct he did not care

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:38 pm »

One thing I noticed is that this thing does not seem like it is will insulated at all.  It's got some bubble wrap and a piece of styrofoam around it. Thats it.   I just does not seem well insulated.

They are poorly insulated and I would not wait for the bill to come to get into action. Visit your local home depot and explain your situation and see what alternatives they show you. Whatever you sped will come back to you in a more reasonable bill. If you're not a DIYer consider hiring a handyman to insulate if for you. I'll bet you can save $15 to $50 per month by improving the insulation (total guess not knowing your power rates or climate or how poorly it is set up  now though I'll bet its very minimal) so you'll get back what you spend.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »
So what are you expecting. Fiberglass insulation between the shell and the tub?  If I find that the bill is crazy high I just may run it until Sept/ OCt then shut it down for a 6 months.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:48:24 pm »
So what are you expecting. Fiberglass insulation between the shell and the tub?  If I find that the bill is crazy high I just may run it until Sept/ OCt then shut it down for a 6 months.  

ben, the winter is the best time for tubbing. good luck with your new/used spa.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

benalexe

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:55:48 am »

They are poorly insulated and I would not wait for the bill to come to get into action. Visit your local home depot and explain your situation and see what alternatives they show you. Whatever you sped will come back to you in a more reasonable bill. If you're not a DIYer consider hiring a handyman to insulate if for you. I'll bet you can save $15 to $50 per month by improving the insulation (total guess not knowing your power rates or climate or how poorly it is set up  now though I'll bet its very minimal) so you'll get back what you spend.

On the better spas what is used for insulation? (with the exception of foam)

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 07:32:08 pm »
Some times i don't understand the concept here.
Look you are getting a free tub. most people paying 6000$ and up.
Don't worry so much about a 30 higher power bill.

Have fun with your tub.

Regards
           Frank

benalexe

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:19:08 pm »
Some times i don't understand the concept here.
Look you are getting a free tub. most people paying 6000$ and up.
Don't worry so much about a 30 higher power bill.

Have fun with your tub.

Regards
           Frank
I understand what you are saying but times are a bit tough.   GAS is $4.26 a gallon. My electric bill is already just shy of $300  a month.  As much as I always wanted a tub I would not be spending $7K for one right now.  SO I am just being fiscally responsible.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:12 pm »

On the better spas what is used for insulation? (with the exception of foam)

In general, the MOST efficient insulation is the thick "closed-cell" foam that has to be professionally applied and that is what many of the major brands use.  However, I think you could use an "open cell" equivalent like the "great Stuff" foam that is sold in the home improvement shops.  Many people use that stuff to fill in holes in their walls, electrical outlets, etc.  But it would probably take a LOT of that to fill a cabinet and it can be sticky before drying so you can't really work with it at all.  Others have used simple rolls of attic insulation as a cheap (but effective) way to further insulate their tubs.  Also be aware that some MFGs (and I believe that ThermoSpa is one of them) use a technique called "Thermal Pane" design in which the open area of the cabinet is heated by the pumps themselves and then air is let out through one-way valves.  Your TP may be that design and adding insulation therefore may not work as well as you think.  Some of these Thermal Pane designs aren't bad.  Others are pure crap.  ThermoSpa's is supposed to me OK as reported by others on this site in the past.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:38:28 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

benalexe

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:47 pm »
Thanks that helps a lot. My spa seems to have a bubble wrap around the entire tub and behind that what looks like styrofoam pannels.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:40 am »
Ben,

The goal with a thermal style tub is to keep the inside cabinet area warm and minimize any thermal loss between the dead air space in the cabinet and the outside world. (Not the shell)

I would seal/caulk up any gaps that there  might be.  How is the bottom/floor of the cabinet? Can you add insualtion panels there?

I would be hesitent to use fiberglass batting for insualtion. If it gets compressed or wet it loses it's ability to insulate.  I have heard of folks filling contractor grade trash bags (the super heavy ones)  with fiberglass and adding those to the cabinet, but I have only anecdoatal evidence that would work. foam panels and the thermal blankets seem to be the material of choice. 

I would ensure you have a good fitting cover. Over the years covers can warp and no longer have a nice seal. A bad cover can cost you more in electricy to heat, than it is to replace.

if the cabinets is sealed up, and you have a good cover, let's wait and see what your actual costs to operate are before doing anythign drastic.  :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:27:20 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42