What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shell Cracks  (Read 6297 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Shell Cracks
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »
WHAT???? That's nuts, there is a limit to how many times you can expect a customer to put up with the repair it thing....

Term, Chas, Dan...have any of you ever experienced this with Watkins?

Bubbles, I will just tell you from experience, talking on the phone is not always the most effective means of making a point. If they don't understand that you mean business, they will continue to do what they want to. If I were you...I would write a detailed letter complete with pictures and dates and send it electronically to every person you can at Watkins Customer Service.

I went rounds with a roofing company that had a stellar record for workmanship...They over roofed my shingles with nails that were too short for the job and chunks of shingles rolled off the roof periodically for 5 years...They repaired it several times until finally I insisted that the owner come for a visit..Believe me it is the way that you insist that makes the difference. Don't be rude, or nasty just make your point firmly and back it with facts and all the photos you can. When the business owner showed up at my house (supposedly something he NEVER does) he asked what I wanted...I said the same thing you would want if this was your house...I had a new roof in 2 days...

So hang in there...I'm sure the award winning Hot Springs guys on here will help out...they know the "Big Boys"!!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 02:19:37 pm »
Our company has never experienced anything like what has been described.  It sounds to me like it should be replaced, unless there are mitigating circumstances which have not been divulged.  Something don't compute!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:13 pm »
Some times it pays to advocate quietly.  'Nuff said.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 02:35:22 pm »
"They offered not one thing for all my trouble"

That doesn't sound like Watkins.

Maybe one of the Watkins dealers here can direct you
to an upper level decision maker that can resolve this.

Summitman

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 03:02:31 pm »
Some times it pays to advocate quietly.  'Nuff said.

How does advocating quietly solve any problems for the consumer?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 03:27:48 pm »
I'm just curious here.........

The spa came with a specific warranty that the manufacturer is completely willing to honor. Why, do you believe a customer is entitled to more than what the warranty offers?

Before you say;

"because it's a lemon", remember, there's nothing in the warranty guaranteeing a problem wont reoccur, or that if the manufacturer choses to repair (rather than replace) it wont fail and need repairing again. Or that if a particular item needs repairing more than X numbe rof time it will automatically be replaced.

"because of the time the customer has been without use of the spa", there's noting in the warranty guaranteeing the speed at which a warranty repair will be done, nor compensation for down time.

And, I'd rather not have any comparisons to the lemon laws in the automotive industry. These law are very specific to autos only, and are not relevant to any other industry (your individual state laws may vary).

Seriously, I'm not saying I disagree with any of you, I'm simply wondering why everyone thinks a consumer should get more than what they purchased.

OH, by the way, "repairs" may have an individual warranty, and that warranty may extend PAST this time of the original warranty. e.g, my car came with a 4 year warranty, I had continual windshield problems and got a new windshield EVERY year free under warranty. The last was 2 days before the warranty expired. I was specifically told the new windshield came with it's own 2 year warranty, and would extend past the original 4 year warranty. Might be worth checking if the spa repairs are covered the same.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »
I’m not asking for anything more, just what I paid for, a spa that does not have a repeated crack problem.  The Dealer has been trying to get the spa replaced the last few times it has cracked. They are all in the same 5in. area. They repair one, I new one pops up next to the repair.  

I don’t’ know, I’m considering taking the dealer up on their offer.  This has been going on for years, I just don’t want to deal with it any more.  These things are supposed to be for relaxation, right? You’re right Term, something doesn’t compute, that’s for sure!

Thanks, everyone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:10:47 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:44 pm »
You might want to see if the dealer can sweeten the offer.  Has Watkins offered anything similar to what Dr. Spa mentioned about extending the warranty?  I know they have done that for our customers on occasion.

Here is what I understand.  The spa is at Watkins for repair the 1st time now.  The repair facility is staffed by highly trained technicians and if they believe the shell is repairable, then it
will be repaired.  Watkins would replace the spa IF their repair fails.......... which, based on history is very unlikely.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »
Watkins has not offered anything.  I asked the dealer about extending the warranty for at least the six months or so I have been without the spa. I was told no, but it was documented by the manufacture.  When I asked Watkins about why I would have to pay a fee for a replacement, they said I would need to talk to the dealer about that.  The dealer said the most he could do is add a free cover or upgrade me to a Bengal with the new water feature, but no cover for the $2500.

The dealer has already reinforced the bar top from the front and back, I really don’t see what else could be done at the manufacture.  As I said, the old repairs have held and the new cracks appear next to them.  The dealer has been trying to get it replaced with no avail.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:12:21 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

loosenupspas

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 11:00:40 am »
Bubbles......Phone calls to the manufacturer will get you nowhere.  Put it in writing, reduce your experiences into a narrative and mail it to the dealer and CEO of the company.  Be sure to send both letters Return Receipt Requested.  For good measure send another to Better Business.  And another to your local newspaper or TV reporter in charge of consumer affairs. Additionally, post a copy here on this blog.  Properly noting on your letters, all those you have C.C.'d and you will get results, I promise.  Nothing stirs people to action than the written word.

Let me add on final thing,  may be a brand new spa for $2500.00 isn't that bad a deal.  Providing of course that the warranty is standard in duration.  You might get a little better deal after you letter up everyone.  Something to consider....remove your emotions and be ready to see this as not a bad deal.  

Warmly.......Tom

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 11:00:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42