What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-470 Review  (Read 14103 times)

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Jacuzzi J-470 Review
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:46:30 am »
I took 6 months to select a new Hot Tub. My wife joined the search after 3 months. Our search ended with the purchase of a new Jacuzzi J-470. Sand color with a Harvest Wheat cabinet. Like most new new tub searchers I thought I wanted the Tim Allen of tubs. The idea would be more is better. I thought loungers would be a cool idea as well. Stereos, lights, waterfalls, bling. You get caught up in the excitement and then you stop and realize that the idea is to use the hot tub to relax.

I figured out that 3+ pumps, air blowers, and stereos all add noise to the experience. I figured out that lights and waterfalls add to the peace of the tub. So after this discovery I focused on the Jacuzzi J-470 & J-480 with a stereo.

J-470 Review:

Pros: Very spacious, nice jets, high quality construction, raised waterfalls, quiet operation, and internal speakers keep tunes inside tub and not out to the neighbors. Remote runs jets and stereo.

Cons: Only one floor jet for each corner seat and IPod deck does not charge IPod.

I found that we leave the two diverter valves left in the middle and run all jets all the time. We tried putting all the power to the corner seat we were siting in but after a short time it begins to hurt. The lower back jets under the dual waterfalls are the best when your lower back needs some dedicated attention. The raised back gives the waterfalls a nice drop into the tub plus it provides nice privacy and helps trap the stereo sound in the tub.

We placed the four pro-lights on the front and front corners, this helps light the walkway and stairs in the evening. I did add ozone and the silver cartridge in the filter. The cover lift is a must and I can't imagine why anyone would buy a new tub without one. I really like the pebble finish. It helps give a secure footing while moving around and in and out movement of the tub. It also seems to help eliminate hard water stains.

If I could change anything:
The Sundance Optima has dual foot jets on the doom for each corner seat. I find only having one on the J-470 tends to have you trying to steal one from the other corners. I would like to have the BullFrog neck blaster jet pack installed in one of the rear corner seats. Another thing is that the IPod deck does not charge the IPod while docked. Jacuzzi may want to change that as it is a pain if your IPod is not charged fully when you start your soak.

Overall it is a very nice looking tub and I like to just look out at it from our bedroom window. The quality finish and attention to detail is very nice. The jets are fantastic and the controls are very well placed. If I had it to do it over I might consider the J-480 because it is 3 inches wider and has a very nice lounger in it. Stereo is nice and speakers are well thought out. I don't use the stereo but my wife loves it. The LED lighting is well distributed inside the tub and the lit Jacuzzi logo on the cool down seat is a nice touch.

I highly recommend this tub and I will add thoughts to this thread as the weeks go by. Right now I'm soaking three times a day because it is new. Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me along the way.

Scott  :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:56:23 am by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi J-470 Review
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:46:30 am »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Re: Jacuzzi J-470 Review
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:43:17 am »
nice tub

Tailhooker

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:33:36 am »
That is awesome, I'm disappointed that my Jacuzzi dealer just closed up shop where I am right when I was trying to schedule a wet test after you had such a good test.  Enjoy!

Dave

Guelphgirl

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:02 am »
Great post, Scott. I followed your search (in silence) and it's really nice to hear your thoughts after a few weeks of ownership. My husband and I bought an Artesian Piper Glen in late February after about 3 months of searching. It's been in our garage since then (wrapped up - not in use) but now that spring is finally here in Ontario our new deck is being built and the tub should be installed in a couple of weeks. You have inspired me to write a similar post after we've used it for a few weeks!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:02:07 pm »
Great post, Scott. I followed your search (in silence) and it's really nice to hear your thoughts after a few weeks of ownership. My husband and I bought an Artesian Piper Glen in late February after about 3 months of searching. It's been in our garage since then (wrapped up - not in use) but now that spring is finally here in Ontario our new deck is being built and the tub should be installed in a couple of weeks. You have inspired me to write a similar post after we've used it for a few weeks!
I looked at a Piper Glenn. They are made here in Las Vegas and I went to the manufacturing plant. They are very nice tubs. When you get it running I would like to know how the 5 pump system works for you. Having a dedicated pump for each seat is a neat idea.  ;)

Scott
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:58:56 pm »
  Nice review and congrats on the spa!!!   I am sure it will be nice this Memorial day weekend.   ;)

Your right that color combo looks fantastic together.

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:54:06 am »
Scott,

Very NICE pix!!  VERY NICE SPA!!

the colors look great, too!!  Like you, when we wet tested, my fave seat for a low back beating was the waterfall seat!! :o :o

Glad you are enjoying your soak!!  How does your wife like it??  Did your step dad get to see it??  Hope so.

Chrisi :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:07 am »
Scott,

Very NICE pix!!  VERY NICE SPA!!

the colors look great, too!!  Like you, when we wet tested, my fave seat for a low back beating was the waterfall seat!! :o :o

Glad you are enjoying your soak!!  How does your wife like it??  Did your step dad get to see it??  Hope so.

Chrisi :)
Step dad is going downhill quick. He may come home today if they can get him stable. Wife loves the tub as you can see in the picture. She doesn't like the cold walk to and from the tub, which is about 8 feet. We have been down in the 60's the last few days.

So far the best thing about the tub is how well you sleep. I soak 20 - 40 minutes before I go to bed. I don't hear a thing until the alarm goes off in the morning. I'm a light sleeper and get up several times during the night, but have not since we got the tub.

I love the pebble finish. The grandkids have been playing in it and they get water everywhere. With this finish I don't even have to wipe it down and it looks brand new. I also like how it feels against the skin when you sit on it.

I'm still messing with the foot jets. They tend to turn off after awhile. The twirling action of the jet slowly turns the jet until they turn off. You just reach down and turn them back open. Other then that the tub has been flawless and knock on wood has worked well without a hitch.

I did order a thermal blanket from Dr. Spa yesterday. The reason is because of evaporation here in dry Las Vegas. When I lift the spa cover it is like a rainstorm on the bottom side of the cover.

My recommendation to Jacuzzi at this point:
Maybe different jets in the foot dome that don't turn off so easy.
IPod should charge IPod while plugged in.
Pro-Lights should turn off with the rest of the tub. Right now they work on a light sensor. They stay on during the evenings and turn off during the day. They are just LED's so they don't drain much power. The advantage is that the walkway is always lit to the tub and that is great. The bad for us is that our bedroom window is lit up with colored light all night. It is kind of cool so maybe it is best the way it is.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Brothersean

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:02:37 pm »
Beautiful Spa Scott!!

I too am sleeping noticeably better with our new spa.  (the RLS was killing me)

Happy soaking...........Sean

Saved by Grace

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 09:55:41 pm »

I'm still messing with the foot jets. They tend to turn off after awhile. The twirling action of the jet slowly turns the jet until they turn off. You just reach down and turn them back open. Other then that the tub has been flawless and knock on wood has worked well without a hitch.

Scott  ;)

Scott,

You had mentioned previously that you seem to be fighting for the foot jets.  We've haven't run into that too much.  I think it's because we have the lounge and that frees up one of the five jets that are on the foot pedestal.  Also, the foot jets in the lounge are really nice.  They are the spinner jets like the ones under the water falls.

Also, I don't know if the jets turn off because of the jets or if they are so easy to turn that they get bumped and are turned off.  All I know is that they are very easy to turn on with my toes.  I love diverting pump two and really blasting them.

My favorite position is laying out from the seat at the foot of the lounge.  From there I get my back and shoulders from the seat jets, my lower back and butt from the calf jets, my calves from the foot jets from the pedestal, and my feet on the calf jets on the seat kitty corner from me.  On top of that, I get both hands on the spinner jets.  My right hand on one under the waterfall and the left hand from the foot spinner on the lounge.  Now that's the way to soak.  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

In His Peace,
Fred

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:07:09 pm »
LOL Fred, sounds like your playing spa Twister!!!  Any new pictures with water? I'm going to look at a tub now that is a private sale. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.  ;D

Saved by Grace

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:03:49 pm »
 Any new pictures with water?

No new pictures with water....but I have this one.  This covering helps protect us from the Michigan state bird; the mosquito.  And they are very healthy and very large this year.

In His Peace,
Fred

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »
We have those same birds in Maryland!!!  Thanks for the picture!  I'm going to Target to see if I can get one like this! It will help me use the tub more at night! Sqweeters love me!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:26:03 pm by kacrab10 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42