What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemistry 101?  (Read 11399 times)

Micah

Re: Chemistry 101?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
Can the mermaid dispenser be refilled?
I have seen people refill them, but I do not belive that is the way they were designed to use.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »

Saved by Grace

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:57 pm »
Spantini,

To your original question/post.  Here are some of the very basic things I have learned (hopefully correctly) picking people's brains on water care.  So basic in fact that it could be in a book called "Basic Water Care for Dummies".

Use dichlor not trichlor.

Chlorine Dichlor = sanitizer.  Non-chlorine Shock = MPS.

I was set up with Nature2 cartrigde which is referred to as N2 which is a mineral sanitizer.  With N2 some use the sanitizer (dichlor) after each soak and shock with MPS weekly while some use MPS after each use and shook with sanitizer (dichlor) weekly.  Some start with dichlor as their daily routine and then switch after a month.  The instructions that come with the N2 call for a daily dose of MPS and adding dichlor as needed.  I'm going to try the dichlor after each use and then MPS weekly.

From what I've learned it is most important to get the PH right before trying to work with the other chemicals because if the PH is out of range the other chemicals won't react correctly.  PH should be between 7.4 - 7.6 (I've also seen 7.2-7.6).

We purchased a Watkins pre-filter because we have iron in our well water.  We have 3.2 PPM total iron.  2.6 PPM dissolved iron and .6 PPM organic bleed - "bonded iron".  This bonded iron is called tannins.  By using the filter I am keeping as much of that orange junk out of our tub as I can.  I figure for $50 and 10,000 gallons of usage it is worth the cost.

Lastly, something I've heard over and over again on this forum which I plan on following as much as my detail orientated mind will allow.  That is to NOT micro-manage our water.  I'll do my best at that.

Please, if anyone has read anything on here that is incorrect let me know....I'm still learning.

Hope this helps if only a little.

In His Peace,
Fred

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 01:31:05 am »
Basic Water Care for Dummies is just the perfect book for me. Thanks for the recommendation....

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 09:33:09 am »

From what I've learned it is most important to get the PH right before trying to work with the other chemicals because if the PH is out of range the other chemicals won't react correctly.  PH should be between 7.4 - 7.6 (I've also seen 7.2-7.6).

Great post Fred. The only correction I would make is in your statement above.

Alk should always be adjusted first (80-120ppm) prior to a pH adjustment. If your alk is low, it will always tend to draw down your pH and vise versa.

benalexe

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:08 am »
Can someone educate me more on the nature 2?  Do most people use this??  I read someplace that if you use this and an ozonator you need very very little dichlor and / or shock?

I read that you alternate one week a few tablespoons of shock and one week a few tablespoons of dichlor then before you get in you also throw some shock in to sanatize the water?

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:17 am »
Well I have had my tub a week and I don't know if I'm doing justice to the whole chemical thing or not. I have the silver cartridge in my filter and the ozone thing running all the time. My dealer who is a pool guy by trade left me with a small packet of clorine and told me to throw in a tablespoon each week.

I went to the store and bought some test strips and it shows my ph is on the highest mark 7.8. So I threw in some more and nothing changed. Yesterday my water was a little cloudy so I bought some clarifier and threw that it and it appeared to work. Water seems fine it doesn't itch or smell so I hope I'm on the right track. I can still try to shock it with the toaster I suspect (I kid, I kid).

I don't want to mess with the water to much but I also want the water to be safe. It already looks like a bubble bath because so many family members have tried it and I suspect their suits were full of detergent.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
A tablespoon of chlorine 1x per week seems way to little unless you are doing MPS at each use.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 01:03:35 pm »
Spantini,
With N2 some use the sanitizer (dichlor) after each soak and shock with MPS weekly while some use MPS after each use and shook with sanitizer (dichlor) weekly.  Some start with dichlor as their daily routine and then switch after a month.  The instructions that come with the N2 call for a daily dose of MPS and adding dichlor as needed.  I'm going to try the dichlor after each use and then MPS weekly.

In His Peace,
Fred

Fred,
I think you're taking the wise route by using the dichlor after each use. The N2 manufacturer does give instructions to use MPS per use and dichlor weekly but that’s simply because they're trying to sell more units and know that people have this desire (usually ill founded IMO) to use less chlorine. The reality is that method is just ineffective IMO while the dichlor per use and MPS weekly method works much better. The reality is the dichlor you add after each use dissipates quickly anyway so there is very little residual the next day which counters those who have some reluctance to use dichlor.

Some will argue by using dichlor per use you're defeating the purpose of using N2 in the first place but since the reason for its use is to improve ease of water management and eliminate (or reduce) common occurrences of cloudy or ill sanitized water its does great IMO. For those who prefer to skip the extra cost and just use dichlor that's fine too. I'm just not a fan of the at best marginally effective MPS per use method.

Can someone educate me more on the nature 2?  Do most people use this??  I read someplace that if you use this and an ozonator you need very very little dichlor and / or shock?

I read that you alternate one week a few tablespoons of shock and one week a few tablespoons of dichlor then before you get in you also throw some shock in to sanatize the water?

Use N2 to help you successfully care for your water. Don't use it with the promise that you'll use less dichlor (aka chlorine) or shock. Those are promises made to sell more N2. Water care can be frustrating to some. Adding N2 to ozone and using chlorine per use will make water management easier IMO, that is the reason you would use it and not because of the thought that you'll use less chems.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 01:41:57 pm »
So what is a good weekly rountine for me?

I have the ozonator, and the N2 silver thing in my filter. What should I do after each soak or on a weekly, monthly schedule. I know I need to drain the tub every 3 months.

The Walmart by my house has a lot of pool and spa chemiclas because of how many people in my area have both. I was going to go buy some PH decreaser because the number is so high. Sounds like I need to buy some MPS shock as well.

Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:53:56 pm by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »
So what is a good weekly rountine for me?

I have the ozonator, and the N2 silver thing in my filter. What should I do after each soak or on a weekly, monthly schedule. I know I need to drain the tub every 3 months.

The Walmart by my house has a lot of pool and spa chemiclas because of how many people in my area have both. I was going to go buy some PH decreaser because the number is so high. Sounds like I need to buy some MPS shock as well.

Thanks,
Scott

The routine I use and pass on to others is to add 1 generous teaspoon of chichlor per person after each use and shock weekly with MPS. You can shock with dichlor instead but unless the water is specifically cloudy use MPS for your weekly shock, it keeps the TDS (total dissolved solids) down.

Also, if you go 3 or 4 days without using the spa its wise to give it a hit of dichlor.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 04:47:13 pm »
Is dichlor and chlorine the same thing?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 04:53:33 pm »

Use N2 to help you successfully care for your water. Don't use it with the promise that you'll use less [glow]dichlor (aka chlorine)[/glow] or shock.

Now I know you don't read what I post!! ;)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 04:56:36 pm »
Are they the same? (I don't read your posts eith.....doh!)
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 05:01:02 pm »
The stuff you get at walmart is NOT DICHLOR....It is calcium hypochlor. They do not carry dichlor. you will need to get that from a pool/spa store or internet.

Not all chlorines are the same and you do not want to use the walmart stuff.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
Now I know you don't read what I post!! ;)
The stuff you get at walmart is NOT DICHLOR....It is calcium hypochlor. They do not carry dichlor. you will need to get that from a pool/spa store or internet.

Not all chlorines are the same and you do not want to use the walmart stuff.

Man I'm too old to keep all this straight. Maybe I should just drain and refill my tub each week (I kid, I kid).

Thanks,
Scott
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42