What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Splicing of wires to tub  (Read 9758 times)

Calypso

Splicing of wires to tub
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »
When I drain my tub I may want to turn it around so it facing in another direction. This will mean splicing the 3 each #6 wires. Can this be done inside a weatherproof splice box or will I have to pull longer wire through the conduit?
2007 Pacific Calypso

Hot Tub Forum

Splicing of wires to tub
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Splicing of wires to tub
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:36:55 pm »
It depends on if you like to shock your tub often....
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Calypso

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:15:16 pm »
Did you mean shock or SHOCK. It sounds like I will have to run new wires or put in a disconnect box. If it becomes too much effort or too expensive it can remain the way it is as I tend to stare off into space while relaxing in the tub. ;D
2007 Pacific Calypso

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:31:59 pm »
SHOCK!!!
If you are in a wet area, the connections of a splice should be waterproof. Even with a GFI circuit I would recommend a waterproof splice. I would heat shrink the soldered splice and then put in a jelly filled hotdog enclosure, but then I'm old school. It sounds like more work than it really is. It is pretty simply to make a waterproof splice.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:04 pm »
My electrician who happens to be my friend used flexible wiring inside the tub. He used the same devices that the electric company uses to attach the power lines to the house lines. I think it's called a split bolt and you put the two wires into the bolt and tighten it. He did put electrical tape on each one and installed a plastic box for the bolts to be housed in.

My opinion is if it's good enough for suppling power to my house it certainly should be good enough for my hot tub.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:25 pm »
Sorry guys, but the answer is ...
If the junction box has any way of getting moisture inside, then you need to pull new cables unless you can perform a water proof splice.  Soldering and heat shrink are not the answer.  The split bolt will only work if it is waterproofed properly.  Either pull new wires or call a good electrician who can guarantee the work.
Steve

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:54:24 am »
Sorry guys, but the answer is ...
If the junction box has any way of getting moisture inside, then you need to pull new cables unless you can perform a water proof splice.  Soldering and heat shrink are not the answer.  The split bolt will only work if it is waterproofed properly.  Either pull new wires or call a good electrician who can guarantee the work.
Steve
Cola, just for the record I suggested solder, heat shrink in a waterproof enclosure. I recommend the solder and heat shrink to keep the wires from pulling out of the waterproof enclosure. Just to clear up what I said.

Thanks,
Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:15 am »
Ask your electrician if he has any wire stretchers.  ;)

My friend was in the same situation  when he realized his existing wires from his Tiger River would be about 14" too short for the new install on his new Caldera.

However, since the splice was inside the equipment area of the spa (not out on the ground), the electrician had a hard time justifying how there was a greater shock risk than the actual terminal connections jsut a few inches away.   Granted,   every splice is a potential short, and risk and technically isn't up to code...

That being said, I heard a rumor that the splice was made inside a weatherproof junction box and placed inside the equipment compartment and my friend was sworn to secrecy.  :-X
07 Caldera Geneva

Calypso

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:13 am »
Thanks for all of your comments. I will leave it up to my electrician to make sure it is safe and meets code. hopefully he can make a "waterproof" splice. Pulling new wires will be expensive as it will be an 80 foot run and copper is very expensive right now.

I will not be doing this work for quite a few months so I will just relax and enjoy the tub.
2007 Pacific Calypso

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:18 am »
Waterproof splices are very easy. Just get some small pee wee enclosures and add as much length as you need. Good luck!!!

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:44:28 pm »
why make it so complicated
stick the power side in the water. After 2 minutes of hard shayking you should be nice and warm.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »
The NEC specifies that there should be no splices in the ground conductor from the spa to the shutoff, and then from there to the main panel. Many inspectors will let it go, however.

The other wires may be spliced - I would not recommend splicing the ground conductor.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Calypso

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 12:56:26 am »
The NEC specifies that there should be no splices in the ground conductor from the spa to the shutoff, and then from there to the main panel. Many inspectors will let it go, however.

The other wires may be spliced - I would not recommend splicing the ground conductor.

8-)
Thanks for your response. We have resolved the issue as the stars have now aligned themselves over the tub as is. I believe this is due to my discussions with the self levelling Gods on Benalexe's behalf. We will leave the tub as is as long as Benalexe's tub that was deposited on loose sand and a spa pad remains level.

OK I will tell the truth. It is too expensive to rotate the tub. We can still see the stars and we can still see the small aircraft landing. I may have to get out of the tub once in a while to see a sunset.

Thanks for all of your responses. ;D  ;D
2007 Pacific Calypso

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 01:09:21 am »
Could you have just trimmed the corner of the house?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

IDW

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:50:41 pm »
The only electrical advise you should listen to is from a qualified electrition.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:50:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42