What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wanting to get a hot tub and needing advice  (Read 3986 times)

sjeanine

Wanting to get a hot tub and needing advice
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:37:28 pm »
Like, what do we need to buy or do before getting one?  I heard that you have to change your electrical wiring around...how expensive and extensive is this to have done?  What about putting it outside?  Do I have to do anything on the ground first or can it be set on it straight out?  I want to put one just outside my back door, next to the deck....not on it....it's to small.  How much do they cost to run per month?  Maintenance?  And lastly, please be honest and tell me which one is the best insulated???  We live in the north and it will get really cold in the winter...with some days at 20-40 below zero.  Thanks.

SJeanine

Hot Tub Forum

Wanting to get a hot tub and needing advice
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:37:28 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Wanting to get a hot tub and needing advice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:08:55 pm »
Like, what do we need to buy or do before getting one?
  • It's just a matter of educating yourself and getting familiar with local dealers

I heard that you have to change your electrical wiring around...how expensive and extensive is this to have done?
  • All you need is 2 available poles on your breaker box. Most home have at least 100amp service so you should be fine.
What about putting it outside?  Do I have to do anything on the ground first or can it be set on it straight out?  
  • Outside is the ONLY place it should be! I would suggest a ground level deck, concrete pad or sidewalk blocks as a foundation.
I want to put one just outside my back door, next to the deck....not on it....it's to small.  How much do they cost to run per month?  Maintenance?
  • A quality spa will operate $25-40 per month in the type of conditions you are describing. Maintenance products would be $10-15.
And lastly, please be honest and tell me which one is the best insulated???  We live in the north and it will get really cold in the winter...with some days at 20-40 below zero.  Thanks.
  • I normally don't do well with honesty, but I'll try...  ;) I too am from a cold region (central Alberta) and there are a number of quality spas designed to operate well in this climate.

Beachcomber, Arctic, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc. are the top of my list out here but there are others. Where are you and what's available to you locally? [/list]

Steve

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 05:09:09 pm »
It's really not that difficult of a process to get a spa and use one. Granted that you have reliable, nice and honest dealers to help you in your purchase.

I would recommend going to your local dealer and see if they will come to your house to give a site inspection and bring an electrician and contractor for concrete(if you need it) with them. That way you can get a good idea of what size of spa will fit and how much work needs to be done (if any) to your yard to get a new spa in there. Spas can run from $20 to $40 operate per month. That will all depend on what spas you are looking at and how well made and insulated they are.

Coming from me this will be biased, but the Hotspring Spas are VERY well insulated. You will find a lot of help on this forum and if you need anything else just ask.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:10:02 pm by Merlin »
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:32 pm »
Coming from me this will be biased, but the Hotspring Spas are VERY well insulated.

How are they any more insulated than any other full foam spa? Just trying to understand the "VERY"... Would other FF spas be considered VERY well insulated also?  :-/

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 05:25:12 pm »
"Full Foam" is a very loosely used term with many spa manufactures. Most dealers know first hand that not every spa that is stated as "Full Foam" is really Fully Foam insulated. But lets save that for someone else's thread shall we?

Btw: I used the word "VERY" because I didn't want to come out saying that Hotsprings are the most insulated spas in the industry because I wanted to give a general helpful answer and let them know that Hotspring spas are very well insulated. No bashing or overstating. just trying to help
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:28:23 pm by Merlin »
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:30:58 pm »
I too am from a cold region (central Alberta) and there are a number of quality spas designed to operate well in this climate.
Beachcomber, Arctic, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc. are the top of my list out here but there are others. Where are you and what's available to you locally? [/list]

Steve

Steve,

I would like to add Bullfrog to the well insulated list.  Our tub has never cost us more then $25 in the winter to run.  Now we are not in Alberta or Thunder Bay but it does get cold here

sjeanine,

Steve's list is spot on and good advise.  Check with your local dealers and stick to a well made, well known tub and a well established dealer and you should be OK
Bullfrog 451

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:18 pm »

Steve,

I would like to add Bullfrog to the well insulated list.  Our tub has never cost us more then $25 in the winter to run.  Now we are not in Alberta or Thunder Bay but it does get cold here

sjeanine,

Steve's list is spot on and good advise.  Check with your local dealers and stick to a well made, well known tub and a well established dealer and you should be OK

I don't have much experience with Bullfrog so I wanted to keep it to some key spas that I do have experience with. No slight to Bullfrog as I know the people that own them, enjoy them very much.

"Full Foam" is a very loosely used term with many spa manufactures. Most dealers know first hand that not every spa that is stated as "Full Foam" is really Fully Foam insulated. But lets save that for someone else's thread shall we?

Btw: I used the word "VERY" because I didn't want to come out saying that Hotsprings are the most insulated spas in the industry because I wanted to give a general helpful answer and let them know that Hotspring spas are very well insulated. No bashing or overstating. just trying to help

Just trying to fully understand your statement is all... For the record, I believe a Protec design Beachcomber has the most insulation due to the complete 4 walls being insulated but you're right, we can leave that for another thread!  ;)

Saved by Grace

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:44 pm »
 And lastly, please be honest and tell me which one is the best insulated???  We live in the north and it will get really cold in the winter...with some days at 20-40 below zero.  Thanks.

SJeanine

One other thing to look at is where the control panel is located.  I'm no expert but some of them are located pretty far down the front side of the tub.  The tub cover doesn't reach/cover them.  If i'm living somewhere that has very cold/harsh weather, I'd want my cover to provide insulation and protection.

Good luck in your search.

In His Peace,
Fred

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42