What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone recommend spa blankets ?  (Read 5446 times)

Neohcouple

Anyone recommend spa blankets ?
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »
I am in the process of getting a new cover for my HS Vanguard.   It lasted 3 years.  Not realizing how expensive these are to replace, I want to make a better effort of trying to make it last longer this time around.   I used 303 on the outside of the cover which definitely helped.  The outer vinyl cover is in perfect shape.  

The problem is with the inner 2 foam pieces that are water logged & extremely heavy.   Does anyone have experience using spa blankets inside of your hot tub?  Supposedly, they help to prevent the foam pieces from becoming water logged.  There are several different types on Ebay.  I'm sure doc sells them as well.   Since I protecting the outside of the cover is relatively easy by using 303, I just want to find something that will also help from inside the tub.  

Any input is greatly appreciated.  

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone recommend spa blankets ?
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Anyone recommend spa blankets ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:25:05 pm »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:26:50 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:12 am »
I have one and I do think it makes a big difference.  I just had the outer skin of my cover replaced due to faulty stitching.  They  took out my old foam cores and put them in the new skin.  While they were out, I inspected them--nice and dry--good as new.

The inside of my cover was in great shape as well.  I put the 303 on the inside of the cover too, just twice maybe, but I put it on my new cover right away, inside and out.

My cover was barely 2 years old.

I do not use a blanket leash.  When I open the cover halfway, I flip the blanket over it and then the whole thing comes off when the cover is opened fully.  I do have to adjust it once I get in the tub, to smooth it out so it is ready to go back on.  I find it to be no big deal.

Yes, it will blow off in windy conditions.  I tried clothespins and those did not work.  I tried a heavy rock and thank goodness it did not crack my shell when the whole thing still blew and the rock fell IN the tub  :o

I just let it blow and collect it later--no big deal when it's warm.  In the winter in MN, if it's that windy, tubbing is no fun, so then it's not an issue.

I ALWAYS leave my cover open for at least 10 minutes after I add chemicals.  I cannot leave the blanket on when I use the 10-minute clean cycle because it bunches somewhat in the filter basket.  Perhaps that has helped the condition of my cover as well.  I have heard that the nice thick foam blankets won't bunch.

My blanket is pieces of my neighbor's old pool cover.  I don't know if it is of a different thickness/quality than the bubble blankets that are sold online.

All in all, I think my bubble blanket has helped to keep my cover in great shape and I would recommend one.  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Neohcouple

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:32:39 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the input.   It definitely seems like a worthy investment to make.  

If anyone esle uses them, please let me know.  Thanks

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:48:59 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the input.   It definitely seems like a worthy investment to make.  

If anyone esle uses them, please let me know.  Thanks

I've been using one of Doc's 1/4" foam blankets for about eight months now.  I never thought I would like using one, but I find it easy to handle.  I feel they help with both heat and longevity of the cover and recommend their use.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:01:50 pm »
Dr. Spa...

Why is it that you first spa blanket looks like a piece of Ultra Pad?
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:51:09 pm »
Prolly cause it is. That was the original blanket, from another company, that only lasted something like 40 days. The pic below it shows the new, my, blanket, that's still going strong (gawd, at least I sure hope it is  ;D )

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »
Prolly cause it is. That was the original blanket, from another company, that only lasted something like 40 days. The pic below it shows the new, my, blanket, that's still going strong (gawd, at least I sure hope it is  ;D )

Yup, its still doing well in my tub.  It's been in the tub since about March 10, so that's almost 2 1/2 months.  Some minor discoloration at the area where the ozone burned through the other one, but no damage yet.  I like it a lot.  So much easier to handle than the first one.  

The "Effects of Ozone" study is still ongoing.  I'm toying with the idea of gluing another layer of the product on the underside of the blanket as an ozone buffer over the area where my ozone comes out.  Doc, what kind of adheisive do you use to glue it up?  The seam is holding up great.  I've got trim pieces I could use to do this if necessary

Certainly, if you are not using Ozone, I recommend this product whole heartedly.  The "with ozone" opinion is still pending....

Rich
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:33:54 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:19:25 pm »
Sorry, no glue..... Haven't found anything that will adhere to the foam. We weld them together. You could try melting it together with a propane torch (I'd practice on some small pieces first  ;) ).

OH, and I learned the foam grows when it sits on warm water for a bit. Kinda weird. I went to a bit of trouble to cut a PERFECT circle for my round spa. I even made it 1/8" too small so it would be easy to put on the water. It was just lovely  :D . Went out the next morning, it had become almost 1/2" too large. I figure all the little air bubbles in the foam expanded a bit when they got warmed up by the spa water.

Richs100

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:07:06 am »
OH, and I learned the foam grows when it sits on warm water for a bit. Kinda weird. I went to a bit of trouble to cut a PERFECT circle for my round spa. I even made it 1/8" too small so it would be easy to put on the water. It was just lovely  :D . Went out the next morning, it had become almost 1/2" too large. I figure all the little air bubbles in the foam expanded a bit when they got warmed up by the spa water.

Glad you told me that.  I thought it was that extra Corona I had when I originally fit it to the tub!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 07:27:13 am »
Rich, My son ripped my spa blanket. I had it rigged to flip over the cover when we  lifted it using my cover clips. He decided to only hook one side and the other side ripped...anyway, I had luck gluing a repair patch using my hot glue gun. Use high heat glue, not the low or medium heat. It held fast, no problems..maybe it also expands along with the foam. ;). You may want to test a piece or two before welding it to your blanket. Also, if you are putting the patch on the water side of the blanket, be careful that the water circulation doesn't pull it loose and possibly cause problems with your filters...don't know if that could happen, just a caution in case. Your best option might be to glue it to the top side of the blanket. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
Thank, Bonibelle.  That sounds like it would work.
I've got a call in to Martha Stewart to see if I can borrow her glue gun.   :)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:58:31 pm »
Funny you should mention Martha!! She (so the locals say) just build a HUGE beautiful home about 3 miles from me. Apparently she works with QVC and they are based in West Chester Pa.

So your wife doesn't have a glue gun? You poor poor man...I never leave home without my glue gun and duct tape..just in case I run into a hopeless helpless man in trouble!  ;D ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »
There is definately a quality difference in Doc's vs the other blanket. I had Doc's and I now have the other, Doc's wins no contest. The thinner one just plain sucks IMO.

But with that said, it only lasted 2 years and I had to replace it. It still may be a bargin but IF my cover lasts 2 or 4 extra years by buying a blanket every 2 years - am I getting anything out of it? My cover is 3 YO and the outside is showing signs of deteriation ... I guess I haven't used the 303 enough or maybe this cover is just starting to go.

As far as glue - Sumo glue works great for patching up the foam. I used it on Doc's blanket and it worked great. It starts off liquidy and then foams up before it bonds 100% - just protect EVERYTHING you don't want to be glued, my cover has a line of glue going across it because I didn't realize how much it foamed. I was hoping to patch the blanket up but it tore 1/2 way and it was time to toss it. Funny the blanket seemed to go from good to bad in a matter of weeks when it did go!

The other thing I did was use GOOD QUALITY duct tape as a backer for the spa leash. It reonforced the area of stress where the blanket wa being pulled up on by the blanket leash.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:12:50 pm by Vinny »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »

My cover is 3 YO and the outside is showing signs of deteriation ... I guess I haven't used the 303 enough or maybe this cover is just starting to go.

Thanks for the kind words Vinny........ You know, there's different UV ratings for different vinyls. Automotive vinyl has a rating of 300 hours. Vinyl used in spa covers is typically rated at 500, 1000 or 1500 hours. Ok, so how this rating actually relates to how long vinyl will last, I don't have a clue (not really, just not enough to try and explain it). However, the higher the rating, the longer the vinyl will resist sun damage. I've seen covers 2 years old starting to show sun damage, and I've seen 6 year old covers where the vinyl looks fine (all in direct sunlight).

The other thing I did was use GOOD QUALITY duct tape as a backer for the spa leash. It reinforced the area of stress where the blanket wa being pulled up on by the blanket leash.

Can you explain this more? When I initially came up with the Blanket Leash I did have concerns about the strap pulling through the blanket. In an effort to prevent this, I fought hard with my partner to go with the biggest (and of course most expensive) plastic (actually PVC) washers I could find for the backing. I figured bigger would spread the strain over a larger area eliminating, or reducing, the possibility of it pulling through. But, apparently, for some people it isn't working as well as planned. As you may recall, I got this free spa I put at my GF's house. I'm planning on using it, among other things, for experimenting (I might even experiment with some spa stuff  ;D ). hmmmm, I wonder if something more cup shaped, concave (or is it convex?) would work better as the edge wouldn't be in direct contact with the foam when the cover is opened? I tend to think that the most strain is caused when the cover is initially opened, and the foam has to be pulled free from the suction of the water....Or, do you think the beginning of the tear was caused by the shaft of the rivet?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42