What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long can a tub sit filled up without power?  (Read 6598 times)

benalexe

How long can a tub sit filled up without power?
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »
My tub is coming one week from today. it is a used tub so the first thing I am going to do is wash it out. Fill it and drain it to get all the stuff out. THen I am going to wax it.

Not sure how soon after the tub comes that I will have my electric hooked up.  Once clean can I fill it with water add chlorine and let it sit for a few days until I have electric hooked up?

Hot Tub Forum

How long can a tub sit filled up without power?
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: How long can a tub sit filled up without power
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:43:28 pm »
My tub is coming one week from today. it is a used tub so the first thing I am going to do is wash it out. Fill it and drain it to get all the stuff out. THen I am going to wax it.

Not sure how soon after the tub comes that I will have my electric hooked up.  Once clean can I fill it with water add chlorine and let it sit for a few days until I have electric hooked up?

Not certain that I (personally) would bother with waxing it.  The Chlorine will "eat through" any wax in a couple of days so while it will look good to begin with, I don't think any wax below the waterline would remain beyond a week.

As far as filling it...Sure, you could add a small amount of chlorine and let it sit for up to a week or so depending on the PH levels but you may also want to leave it empty in the event that you need too (electrician only has so much wire) or decide toomove it around a bit from the originally planned spot.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:56:04 pm »
Don't wax.

The most important part is water balance. If you test your tap water, you will get a good idea what you are starting with. In my area we have high pH and TA. So in the case of my 500 gallon tub, I have to add close to 6 ounces of 'Spa Down' within the first day or two. I usually add three ounces as I fill, and three more the next morning.

In your case, you will want to figure out the approximate amount of up or down which you will need. Then you will have to find a way to mix it into the water. You could add it as you fill and let the water stir it in as the tub fills, or you could mix it into bucket of warm water (so it dissolves completely) and then add it to the tub in liquid form.

Once the tub has had overnight to settle down to a stable pH and TA, then you can add some chlorine by dissolving it in buckets and adding it to the tub.

OR -

You could just wait until the day the electrician shows up.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:27:39 am »
When I say wax It is the polish stuff I got directly from thermospas

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:59 am »
The "wax" or spa gloss you get for hot tubs lasts longer than a couple of days and will help protect the spa. I would suggest going to a local dealer to get it, you will probably pay less and develop a relationship for future needs. I re gloss my spa twice a year.

Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:31:23 am »
Reason I may want to fill it is the kids are anxious and may not be able to wait for electric. They will want to just go in a cold tub.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:57:09 am »
Just thinking about your situation...Don't you want to clean out the jets and the tub? Whatever is laying in the lines will contaminate the cold water also. Didn't you say there was something dead in there when it was at your brothers?  If it were me, make the kids be patient and do this right.  Be sure the tub is properly cleaned and manage your water. That requires electric. Since you don't have experience with either a tub or pool, it would probably benefit you best to just let it be a hot tub first, and a kiddy pool second.  But that is just my opinion and I know how exciting it can be for the kids...good luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:57:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42