What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artic Tundra  (Read 7296 times)

henryk

• Sheer determination will always triumph.
Re: Artic Tundra
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 08:01:55 pm »
You may have noticed that many water treatment system are now embracing salt water conditioning. This has become quite popular with swimming pools.  My understanding is that Artic has know embraced this and combines it with ozone treatment.   So the Onzen system comprises of  ozone, saline sanitization, and possible silver ion generation at some point.  All this to reduce considerable chlorine or bromine use.  All I know is the water felt great during wet testing (very soft) and no after smell of "chem" on the skin.

Maybe some Artic folks/experts could chime in on this one...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:30:57 pm by henryk »
Artic Tundra Signature

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 08:01:55 pm »

tubbin

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 11:41:07 pm »
What the heck...I'm going to rain on this parade. I also have a Tundra and it's a great tub. No issues at all from a quality perspective, however, let me tell you the reality of tub ownership:

It's a blast for about one year. You will use it at least 2 times a week, with or without your partner.

Year Two: maybe once a week.

Year Three: once a month, and you will seriously start to question the economics of it all ( yes it's a serious and noticeable energy drain in the winter... $50+/month and if a hot tub nut or dealer questions this...trust me, I have no reason to lie).  

After that you will continue to listen to that big old heater at 5kw humm away with very, very  little use, but not want to pull the plug as you still use it once a month and you have to justify the 10 GRAND you paid for it!!!!

My neighbor has one, my sister has one and two coworkers have one....some have already pulled the plug. Some, like me still have that 10k complex that keeps that heater humming away all winter long...electricity prices aren't getting cheaper

Think about it... that thing will cost over 2K in a cold climate (Ohio to Michigan) to run before the warranty even runs out...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:10 am »
I wonder if tubbin could find a WIDER brush with which to paint us all? I don't doubt your usage has changed but to suggest that this is what every spa owner should come to expect is crap! ::)

Summitman

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 07:57:55 am »
I use mine at least once a day, and have for over 6 years now.  Sometime multiple times a day.  I have many customers that tell me the same. Once in a while someone comes in and says they dont use it as often as they thought,  but that is true with any product that you buy.

toiler

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 02:15:10 pm »
What the heck...I'm going to rain on this parade. .....

It's a blast for about one year. You will use it at least 2 times a week, with or without your partner.

Year Two: maybe once a week. Year Three: once a month, ...

Sounds a bit like my sex life!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 02:27:09 pm »
I wonder if tubbin could find a WIDER brush with which to paint us all? I don't doubt your usage has changed but to suggest that this is what every spa owner should come to expect is crap! ::)

Amen, working on year 6 now, and we are still pretty much every night, and I know on recent vacations if we weren't in ours, we were in someone's.  Here and there we have days like 33 degrees F with heavy rain and wind that I skip it.  This week I'm out there alone as my wife is recovering from surgery and can't use the tub for another week or so.

What tubber said, is what a couple of non-tub owning friends and neighbors said to me, maybe I'm just stubborn enough to prove them wrong just so I can be right :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:28:25 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Calypso

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 12:03:54 pm »
Think about it... that thing will cost over 2K in a cold climate (Ohio to Michigan) to run before the warranty even runs out...

Only $2000 to feel great every single day. I spend more on the chiropractor. At $50 per month that is only $1.67 per day to feel great and get a good nights sleep. It is great to come home from a hard fought soccer game and put the old bones in the spa. People spend more on a cup of coffee.

I just thought I would add a new perspective to this thread. :)

BTW the spa improved my sex life but that will probably fade in a year and then I will have to pay $50 per month.  ;)
2007 Pacific Calypso

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »
BTW the spa improved my sex life but that will probably fade in a year and then I will have to pay $50 per month.  ;)
Which will fade? Sex Life or Spa use?  ;D ;D ;D
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Calypso

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 12:35:34 pm »
I am thinking of turning the spa 180 degrees in a years time and then just like rearranging furniture the wife will think it is a new spa and I can prevent BOTH fades from happening for another year. I will just have to pull new electrical wires instead of pulling................... oops do not want to go there. ;D
2007 Pacific Calypso

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 12:46:13 pm »

I spend more on the chiropractor. At $50 per month that is only $1.67 per day to feel great and get a good nights sleep.

What exactly was the chiropractor doing for you??  :o
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Calypso

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 01:13:44 pm »

What exactly was the chiropractor doing for you??  :o

That was the massage therapist but that is another story.  ;D

The chiro was fixing my left shoulder and re-occuring lower back problems from a herniated disk. At $38 per visit and only 12 visits per year covered by extended medical the costs were adding up. The spa has solved both problems so it has been well worth the money.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:26:00 pm by Calypso »
2007 Pacific Calypso

henryk

• Sheer determination will always triumph.
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 09:57:23 pm »
How did Onzen water treatment turn ino this ?

Interesting debate though, however my wife and I have already covered off this topic to the point of nauseam.  Yes it will cost, so does everything in life in one way or the other.  This is not a toy for us, we have come to a rational conclusion that it will improve our quality of life as we continue (hopefully) down the road of maturing gracefully.  

We lead active lives, work, family etc, we are beginning to ache and are not sleeping that well.  Bottom line is we have comitted the price of a Star Buck's coffee (Tim Horton's for the truly addicted Canadian) a day to give up ibuprofene, sleep better and hopefully be more productive for work, family and play!  God yes... :o

So any comments or experiences related to Onzen ?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:01:43 pm by henryk »
Artic Tundra Signature

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »
What the heck...I'm going to rain on this parade. I also have a Tundra and it's a great tub. No issues at all from a quality perspective, however, let me tell you the reality of tub ownership:

Year Two: maybe once a week.

Year Three: once a month, and you will seriously start to question the economics of it all ( yes it's a serious and noticeable energy drain in the winter... $50+/month and if a hot tub nut or dealer questions this...trust me, I have no reason to lie).  

After that you will continue to listen to that big old heater at 5kw humm away with very, very  little use, but not want to pull the plug as you still use it once a month and you have to justify the 10 GRAND you paid for it!!!!

My neighbor has one, my sister has one and two coworkers have one....some have already pulled the plug. Some, like me still have that 10k complex that keeps that heater humming away all winter long...electricity prices aren't getting cheaper

All I have to say is who really cares how much you use it?  If you use it, then it is worth it.  I have a '68 Firebird ragtop that only runs on premium and gets 12mpg highway if I am very lucky.  Does that make sense in this day of $4 gas?  Hell yes!  I replaced my dirt bike and street bike this year with two new ones.  I really don't ride them that much, especially the dirt bike which I only use on the trails up north.  Does that make sense? Hell yes!  They make me feel young again.  Do I use my Arctic Summit every day?  No, I work too much.  But let me tell you, on the weekends my sweetheart and I use it for almost 2 hours each morning with our coffee.  It is worth every penny I pay in electric!

When I die I will no longer be using my cars, bikes or hot tub.  Until then, they are the best investment money can buy!

Steven~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42