What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa bases , forever floors etc  (Read 7067 times)

Calypso

Spa bases , forever floors etc
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:46:32 pm »
I am just curious as to why a base would be intalled on a spa if it is being put on a level concrete pad. The wood in the spas is treated and the base is only millimetres thick so why would you install it. Our dealer said do not bother if it is on a level concrete pad. I could put it on for you but it will only cost you more money.

With this base sealing the bottom is there a possibility that a major pipe break could cause water to back up intot the electical compartment?

I must have too much time on my hands or is it that "enquiring minds want to know"  :)

2007 Pacific Calypso

Hot Tub Forum

Spa bases , forever floors etc
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:46:32 pm »

Summitman

Re: Spa bases , forever floors etc
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:01:22 pm »
I am just curious as to why a base would be intalled on a spa if it is being put on a level concrete pad. The wood in the spas is treated and the base is only millimetres thick so why would you install it. Our dealer said do not bother if it is on a level concrete pad. I could put it on for you but it will only cost you more money.

With this base sealing the bottom is there a possibility that a major pipe break could cause water to back up intot the electical compartment?

I must have too much time on my hands or is it that "enquiring minds want to know"  :)

Some spas that are sealed out, that may be a problem but the Arctic Spa Forever Floor has what they call a floodgate that allows the water to escape from the spa if a leak does occur.  Even though the wood that is under the floor is treated it can still weather over time especially if you develop leaks on the spa.  If  the sealed floor is a minimal cost it is definetely worth the extra charge even on a concrete pad.  Keep in mind a floor that will last a long time will keep all those critters out longer to.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:08:24 pm »
   For one their is a difference from a psc of thin plastic sheet stapled to the btm of a wood base, compared to the ABS pan of a Jacuzzi,or the forever floor from Arctic.    I like the bases not sheet plastic better than wood for the simple reason wood rots. Even treated.   That being said, I think it also matters where you live and where the spa is going.   In the Pac N,West where it rains a lot like today,  :(  And the spa owner is building a deck around it, I believe its a huge advantage, I don't know how many rotten spa's we have removed that were buried in a deck,the top of the spa looks ok, but the frame at the base is toast.

Is it worth the money???   For a sheet of 1/16" plastic no.  For a complete 6"abs pan (std on Jacuzzi) or the forever floor of Arctic std as well I believe?  Yes.

Calypso

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies. I just sealed around the base to keep the "critters" out and the water can exit just above the base and/or through the "cedarlite" skirt. The treated wood that has been in the dirt beside the tub still looks good after over 10 years so we might have to upgrade to the new super futuristic 1000 jet spa in 10 to 15 years time.   ;D

I do not disagree with your comments as other dealers said for approx $250 for a "good" base why not install the base. We were at our budget limit with the concrete pad and electrical so we gambled on the pressure treated painted wood base. Time will tell I guess :-/

2007 Pacific Calypso

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:55:20 pm »
"1000 jet spa"

:'(

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »
   I don't know how many rotten spa's we have removed that were buried in a deck,the top of the spa looks ok, but the frame at the base is toast.

Were these spas being replaced due to failure of the frame?

If not, it sounds like even though the lower part of the frame rotted, it fulfilled it's intended purpose and lasted as as long as the spa as a whole lasted. Would there have been an advantage in initially spending the extra $ only to have the rest of the spa fail for other reasons? Could the base have been reused on a future replacement spa?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Summitman

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »

Were these spas being replaced due to failure of the frame?

If not, it sounds like even though the lower part of the frame rotted, it fulfilled it's intended purpose and lasted as as long as the spa as a whole lasted. Would there have been an advantage in initially spending the extra $ only to have the rest of the spa fail for other reasons? Could the base have been reused on a future replacement spa?

We have moved several spas here that the customer had sold to someone else, after picking up the spa the wood floor had rotted completely out and had to be rebuilt.  Problem is it allowed lots of rodents, bugs, or other creatures to nest in the spa.  So in turn the floor didnt out live the spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42