What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time for a Tub!  (Read 11821 times)

SPORT

Time for a Tub!
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »
Greetings,

Been lurking around for the past several weeks and now feel comfortable with your insights to ask some questions.

After getting rid of the pushy Thermospas guy for many reasons including their overpriced spas, service is greatly lacking, the BBB has numerous (and current) complaints against Thermospas, and we were unable to wet test, we thought we'd shop around a bit more.

While living in Fresno, CA we had a Sundance spa that we thoroughly enjoyed!!!  However, there is not a Sundance dealer near us here on the East Coast.  So I began looking again.

I thought I had it narrowed down to either Dimension One Spas (D1) or Dynasty Spas.  However, I prefer to stay away from the full foam insulation of the D1, and my wife and I thought the Dynasty Spa did not produce enough pressure out of the jets.  Sooo.  We were told the Dynasty Antlantis, with an additional pump, may produce a little more jet pressure.  We're waiting to wet test when it's ready.  

In addition to Dynasty Spas, our dealer @ http://www.bobsintownespas.com/ sells Coleman, Hot Springs, and Tiger River spas.  We've been pleased with the salesman and do not feel pushed to buy one over the other.  With that said, he has leaned us towards Dynasty as it is a full featured package for its price range.  He is also willing to let us wet test the other brands to compare.

With that, what are your impressions, reviews or overall insights regarding any of the above listed spas.

Oh, thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

Sport

Hot Tub Forum

Time for a Tub!
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Time for a Tub!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:19:28 pm »
Greetings,

Been lurking around for the past several weeks and now feel comfortable with your insights to ask some questions.

After getting rid of the pushy Thermospas guy for many reasons including their overpriced spas, service is greatly lacking, the BBB has numerous (and current) complaints against Thermospas, and we were unable to wet test, we thought we'd shop around a bit more.

While living in Fresno, CA we had a Sundance spa that we thoroughly enjoyed!!!  However, there is not a Sundance dealer near us here on the East Coast.  So I began looking again.

I thought I had it narrowed down to either Dimension One Spas (D1) or Dynasty Spas.  However, I prefer to stay away from the full foam insulation of the D1, and my wife and I thought the Dynasty Spa did not produce enough pressure out of the jets.  Sooo.  We were told the Dynasty Antlantis, with an additional pump, may produce a little more jet pressure.  We're waiting to wet test when it's ready.  

In addition to Dynasty Spas, our dealer @ http://www.bobsintownespas.com/ sells Coleman, Hot Springs, and Tiger River spas.  We've been pleased with the salesman and do not feel pushed to buy one over the other.  With that said, he has leaned us towards Dynasty as it is a full featured package for its price range.  He is also willing to let us wet test the other brands to compare.

With that, what are your impressions, reviews or overall insights regarding any of the above listed spas.

Oh, thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

Sport

Not sure why you want to stay away from a full foam spa seeing you had a good experience with Sundance which is full foam.  D1, HotSprings and Tiger River are top tier spas...all full foam.  Coleman has a nice following and is thermopane.  I don't know a lot about Dynasty, but there are a couple of owners on this forum.  Dynasty is not generally considered at the same level as Sundance, D1 or HotSprings.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:20:45 pm »
I think I know your dealer in Fresno.  Was it Jeremy or Tom?

If close enough, check out Spring Dance Hot Tubs in Exton, PA.  They sell Sundance there.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:30 am »
Yeah, I don't know what part of the East Coast you live in now, but if the weather is anything like the midwest, I would suggest you stay away from anything that's NOT full foam!  I concur with Tony.  D1 & Hot Spring are top tier.  Tiger River is a lesser featured sister company to Hot Spring.  Coleman is probably a notch below D1 & HS, but has a lot of loyal followers.  I haven't heard a whole lot of good about Dynasty from my travels.  Of course, if you can get to that Sundance dealer, they're the same level as D1 & HS.  IMO.
Mike

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:58:08 am »
Greetings,

I thought I had it narrowed down to either Dimension One Spas (D1) or Dynasty Spas.  However, I prefer to stay away from the full foam insulation of the D1, and my wife and I thought the Dynasty Spa did not produce enough pressure out of the jets.  

I certainly don't have that problem with my Dynasty, but its about to have its 5th birthday and I haven't looked at the current line in at least 2 years.   On mine, I have two pumps and if I really want pressure (which I frequently do) I turn one of the two diverters all the way to one side, and turn most of the jets off, I can get blasted by the remaining jet.  To me, the volcano jet is worthless, but the other choice, the footblaster when operated the way I mentioned is very powerful, enough so it might push a smaller person away.    I really need this as my upper thighs can get tied up in knots and at 6'2 260 it takes a lot of power to penetrate my legs.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:27:25 am »
If close enough, check out Spring Dance Hot Tubs in Exton, PA.  They sell Sundance there.

Exton is near Philly.  The link Sport posted is to a dealer about 60 miles away from there.  However, there are Sundance dealers in Harrisburg and Lebanon which are only about 25 miles away.

SPORT

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:23:32 pm »
I think I know your dealer in Fresno.  Was it Jeremy or Tom?

What a small world!  It was Jeremy back in the year...2,000...I think.

I'll take a look for Exton.

Thanks

SPORT

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:27:56 pm »

Exton is near Philly.  The link Sport posted is to a dealer about 60 miles away from there.  However, there are Sundance dealers in Harrisburg and Lebanon which are only about 25 miles away.

Harrisburg is do-able.  I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for all the input.

As a note, I'm concerned with the extreme temperature changes here in York PA leading to potentially more problems, and as such, having a full foam spa would require cutting away until a leak can be found...which I'm told could be on the opposite side of where the water is puddling.

Any thoughts?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:28:31 pm »
Rt. 100, (just south of 113) the shopping center is called Marchwood, I believe. They have a beautiful showroom  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

SPORT

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:50:08 pm »
Here http://www.goodallpools.com/Default.aspx?tabid=111 is the spa we had bought back in 2,000.  As stated above we were VERY happy with it and miss it greatly.  Now that I know a dealer is only 25 miles away, I will be scheduling a wet test ASAP.

How would you all rate the Sundance Altimer to the D1 Chairman II?

SPORT

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 08:57:06 pm »

I certainly don't have that problem with my Dynasty, but its about to have its 5th birthday and I haven't looked at the current line in at least 2 years.   On mine, I have two pumps and if I really want pressure (which I frequently do) I turn one of the two diverters all the way to one side, and turn most of the jets off, I can get blasted by the remaining jet.  To me, the volcano jet is worthless, but the other choice, the footblaster when operated the way I mentioned is very powerful, enough so it might push a smaller person away.    I really need this as my upper thighs can get tied up in knots and at 6'2 260 it takes a lot of power to penetrate my legs.

Thanks for your insight.  I'm not sure if we're just imagining the power of our Sundance (Its been since 2004) or if there is a real difference in pressure between the Sundance Altimer or the Dynasty Atlantis (which is much bigger than the Altimer), but we were not impressed with the Dynasty.  I realize a concern may be that too much pressure may lead to itching or burning of the skin.  I do remember this with our Sundance but it was not a big deal to us.

I guess we'll need to wet test back to back.

Spiderman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:33:27 pm »

Harrisburg is do-able.  I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for all the input.

As a note, I'm concerned with the extreme temperature changes here in York PA leading to potentially more problems, and as such, having a full foam spa would require cutting away until a leak can be found...which I'm told could be on the opposite side of where the water is puddling.

Any thoughts?

Don't let the full foam spas scare you.  Some of the non full foam spa sales people use this tactic to get you to buy their product.  Any of the top tubs out there will have a 5 year warranty, so if in the very unlikey event your spa developes a leak, it's the dealers problem to fix (under warranty), so don't sweat it.  Buy a tub that you're comfortable with and make sure you wet test before you buy anything.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

MarKee

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:25 am »
You should check out Marquis Spas.  One of Marquis' sister companies (Fox Pools) is actually located in York, PA.  They have a showroom that carries the Marquis line.  They are located at:

1883 WHITEFORD ROAD
YORK, PA - 17402

Scaramanga

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:51:18 am »
Don't forget Beachcomber, Artesian, Arctic, Calspa, Bullfrog, L.A. Spas, and every other spa company in the world. ::)

Sport asked about Coleman, Dynasty, Hot Springs and Tiger River.  Then he asked about Dimesnion One and Sundance.

Don't forget Master Sp[as and Hydropools and Sunbelt and Hawkeye and others.  Oh yea, and Royal Spas and Vita Spas and Coast and Catalina and........

SPORT

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 05:42:46 am »
Don't forget Beachcomber, Artesian, Arctic, Calspa, Bullfrog, L.A. Spas, and every other spa company in the world. ::)

Sport asked about Coleman, Dynasty, Hot Springs and Tiger River.  Then he asked about Dimesnion One and Sundance.

Don't forget Master Sp[as and Hydropools and Sunbelt and Hawkeye and others.  Oh yea, and Royal Spas and Vita Spas and Coast and Catalina and........

Ah, Now I'm overwelmed!  Wish I had a spa to un-wind in...  :o

My wife and I read through your responses last night.  Now that we know Sundance is nearby we will make an appointment with them.

Most of the spas mentioned above are familiar to us, and as such have already ruled them out for a number of different reasons.  Our choices are really between the Sundance, D1, and Dynasty...more than likely in that order.

Oh, our purchasing time frame is for September/October 2008.  We've got lots of time to choose the perfect spa and landscape the tub location.  For those interested, I'll also see what I can do to post before, during and after pics of this project.

Appreciate Use'all helpen!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:44:08 am by SPORT »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 05:42:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42