What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Service what you sell or subcontract out??  (Read 5084 times)

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
Service what you sell or subcontract out??
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:59:17 pm »
Ok, dealers out there, I have a question (groan, here she goes again ::))

Just thinking of my forum friend, Swell Tub---he likes a Jacuzzi and a Sundance, but the JQZ dealer doesnt service what she sells==she contracts with a service tech, but is the nicer/better dealer, vs the services-what-he-sells Sundance guy who is arrogant and bashes the competition.  Hope I have that synopsis right.

So, all, What are the pros/cons of servicing what you sell vs subcontracting out???

Thanks guys--thought this might start an interesting new thread!!  No fighting, no biting, please!! ;D ;D

wwht--soon to be wght!! :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:01:04 am by wewannahottub »
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Hot Tub Forum

Service what you sell or subcontract out??
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:59:17 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Service what you sell or subcontract out??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:43:37 am »
WWHT. I can tell you from a customer standpoint, I am glad that my dealer has his own service crew. Just as you see on here, the service guys always have the answers.  ;)If you have a warranty issue that might end up involving the company, you will have to have it accessed by the tech, relay that info to the dealer, maybe have to confirm it again.(this point may warrant clarification before you consider a dealer who contracts out work)..

I just know I can talk directly to my tech/service person. He was here when my tub was installed, so he knows my set up and he really knows Marquis products (and hot tubs in general). It is nice to be able to talk to someone who can say I will be there Tuesday and they will show up!  And he can toubleshoot on the phone and solve issues without even making a trip. My experience has been that the service crew is a reflection of the dealership. If you have dependable, knowledgeable service people, it gives the customer confidence that they made a good choice and they will have technical support when they need it.

(i want you to know I felt so strongly about this that I suffered through typing this with a very smashed finger... ;D ;D ;)..I won't be a stone mason in my next life :'(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:47:23 am by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wewannahottub

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:06:14 am »
BB--it's good to get some varying points of view.  And since I hadn't reallyseen it debated---

Hope your finger gets better!! :( :)

Chrisi

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:29:43 am »
Good question my dear...

I think anytime a dealer (business owner) utilizes outside services such as delivery or contract service work, it puts them in a disadvantage. We build our businesses on customer service and it's how we survive. To put that key aspect of your business in the hands of others who do not share those same values nor have a stake in your business, can lead to problems. Yes, it's possible to obtain quality outside service but anything outside of your own company and control leaves that company at the mercy of the people providing that service and most really could care less.

Maybe I'm a control freak :D but I would want all aspects of my business operating under the same level of expected service and have THAT reflect on my business.

Many consumers base their feelings on a given company by the last person they had contact with. I would want that to be someone I trained and someone that understands our business philosophy.

Steve

wewannahottub

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:37:31 am »
Great points.  In my job I am a control freak, but not at home.  

To look at a different perspective, the Service techs may also feel the same--since that is THIER business.  If they have a poor business/work ethic, that will be reflected in how many companies they service for, customer complaints, etc.  If, say, you had to subcontract out, and many of your customers started complaining, you as the business dealer would then find a new certified tech.  

There are many "what ifs".  It is good to hear differing views and opinions, and experiences.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 12:51:32 pm »
Heres my take on it.   When I first got into spa's with this company I did everything spa wise except sales, I did all the delivery's with help of course,I did all the service calls for Artesian and Jacuzzi and Free flow.all the purchasing of spas and parts and also 1st time owners on site orientation, plus a bunch of other crap to long to list.  Hence the nick name Jacuzzi Jim  ;)

When I got into sales, we found a company to deliver spas for us as it was cheaper than paying someone to wait for a delivery to come up, we average 3 or 4 a week.  Service wise I am still the service manager, so I handle all calls pertaining to spa issues, I still do all the purchasing as well as anything else that comes up spa wise in our company.  Oh and sales of course!!

We went through 3 service techs in the last 3 years, problem was we didn't have enough service calls to keep a full time spa tech on hand, (this is not a bad thing) were talking 20 bucks an hour,vehicle,insurance,L&I the whole works plus trying to keep em busy with 40 hours a week.

Their is a Sundance dealer in town who I use to work for, they had a tech that is one of the Sundance owners brother, he's been a tech for 15 years, he decided to go out on his own as a fireplace/spa tech/pool guy.
  I talked to him about seeing if he was interested in doing service for us,we discussed terms and all is good,he does all our warranty work, we supply the parts I send the warranty stuff in to get reimbursed from Jacuzzi.

Its a win win situation for both, we don't have a full time tech, and it is enough work to keep Jay busy, but not so much he cant do his own stuff.

Heres how it works,  I get the call from a customer, his heaters out, after trouble shooting anything before I pass it through to Jay,  I set up a dummy work order with all the customers info model serial# and date of delivery, cause if its out of warranty its basically money to jay at that point, and I let him take care of the collection, or we cover it for what ever reason I deem necessary if needed.   I email him the info, he contacts the customer sets up a time and gets them up and running.  This all takes less than a day between me taking the call and Jay contacting them to set something up.  The customer is usually taken care of within 2 days or same day if all comes together right,and he's in the area. This works really well!!

With all that being said, I think most buyers think if a company does not do their own service they are not going to get taken care of, I suppose in some instances that could be true.   But if they have been in business a long time and didn't take care of the customer, I would imagine they would have numerous complaints with the BBB or just general word of mouth would ruin them.   Most instances you are going to get taken care of, if its done right.

Moral of this story, just because they don't service what they sell, you will be taken care of!!!  But some probably faster than others depends on how their system is set up.
 When I explain how we do it to a customer it is never an issue again.

BTW Chrisi, thats a great deal on the J-470!!!

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:54:18 pm »
This is a very interesting thread to me...
...I handle all service, delivery, and warranty work here.
I also handle other brands and companies (one of my current projects is a pedicure chair - pump issues).

The owner and I have been discussing my business going full-time and contracting the service work.

He and I see more pros than cons.  The customers we've talked with have no problems with this (because it is still the same service provider).  It won't happen this year, as I am spread too thin already (little one to be born in mid-June, tournament season, etc).

It will be interesting to see what happens if we do this.  With minimal advertising, most of our success as a dealership comes from a high level of in-house service.

My advice to consumers would be to research the service department or contractor.  Are they reputable?  References?  Experienced?  
If nothing else, talk to the service provider yourself.  See if you are comfortable with them.  Just like shopping a dealer, it can go either way.

On another note:  $20/hour?  Benefits?  Is this normal?  I ended up in this business to get a more flexible schedule with less travel - at the expense of 65% of my construction wages.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

wewannahottub

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:20:35 pm »
It seems, that no matter what, we can all agree that a good business relationship equals a good customer relationship.

I work in a comunity hospital ICU, and noted to be one of the Top 100 in the US ( ;)) per VHA.  I work with some GREAT docs and nurses, and as always, there is always a bad apple or 2.  I hold my job in highest standards of care.  

I find that everyone posting on this forum and some of the dealers we have interacted with also have the same high standard of care.

THumbs up to all you out there.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:21:07 pm by wewannahottub »

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:37:18 pm »
Interesting thread, this was a topic I was discussing with a local dealer. I asked why he only serviced his brand, his response was the following.

Every spa is different, we stock only the parts to our brand. If I go on a service call on a different brand, first it takes more time, again, different spa. Then you have to order the part, usually at the same price that the consumer could get plus your time. All said and done, the consumer is usually a little discouraged because it took longer than expected, cost more, and it required more trips and time than the "last guy". Lose, lose situation.

We both agreed if this was explained before hand to the consumer, if you where the only option, then why not service different brands.

It was educational to me1

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:39:55 pm »
We employ 3 full time, factory trained service people.  They are all on salary, receive insurance, and retirement plans.  We only service the customers that have bought spas from our three stores.  We do not service other brands.

The service manager oversees the warehouse, parts department, schedules deliveries and service calls.  When a customer calls one of our stores for service, a service order is immediately faxed to the service manager.  He will call the customer within 1 hour to set up a service call, usually the next day if not sooner.  He also works on any spas that we are refurbishing or have had to bring to the warehouse.

The service tech spends all day in the van doing service calls.  We have a huge territory encompassing most of NE Texas and NW Louisiana.  His van is fully stocked with parts to take care of 99% of problems with one visit.

The delivery manager has been with us 22 years.  He and his crew can deliver up to 5 spas/day if needed.  During the busy season, we also have a backup crew available and have delivered as many as 9 spas in one day.

Although we do not service other brands, we offer to haul off problematic spas for people when they buy a spa from us.  A gentleman bought a Grandee from me Saturday specifically because his name-brand spa keeps breaking and there is no one to service it.  He is tired of fooling with it, so we are hauling it to the dump and swapping it out on Wednesday.

Having our own service department is a HUGE advantage for our company.  If folks buy a spa from someone else around here, they are pretty much guaranteed that they will be their own service tech a few years down the road.

Sorry about the overly detailed post...I just woke up from a nap and I found a hole in my drawers, so I was distracted.

Term

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:37:19 pm »

Just thinking of my forum friend, Swell Tub---he likes a Jacuzzi and a Sundance, but the JQZ dealer doesnt service what she sells==she contracts with a service tech, but is the nicer/better dealer, vs the services-what-he-sells Sundance guy who is arrogant and bashes the competition.  Hope I have that synopsis right.

So, all, What are the pros/cons of servicing what you sell vs subcontracting out???

Chrisi,

This is one of the biggest reasons that we bought our Bullfrog.  The local dealer has a excellent reputation for service after the sale and employs their own service techs.  Like Boni said its great to be able to talk to the tech if I have a small problem and their advice has always been great.  The dealer that sells Hot Springs and Caldera in town subcontracts their service out and I was just not comfortable with that.

Bullfrog 451

Dipstick

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:43 pm »
I have seen it work very well both ways and I have also see be a disaster both ways. No matter who the service provider is ask for some references and make some calls.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 07:20:18 pm »
I have seen it work very well both ways and I have also see be a disaster both ways. No matter who the service provider is ask for some references and make some calls.

AMEN to that ! ! !

Funny, you want to be able to talk to your service guy? Most service guys I know that are employed, are in the field all day and not very reachable. The two independents I know that do warranty work for dealers, they tend to only have half the back-load (or less) and give out their cell number to all their customers.

I knew of a dealer once that had 3 stores, and one service guy. He was continually pulling the service guy in from the field to help set up a new showroom display. They were 5 weeks out on service.

It's been my personal experience, from being in the business for 26 years, and running numerous techs, that most employed service techs are mediocre. The good ones, know they're good and start their own businesses...But, this is probably somewhat unique to my area.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:08 pm »
It's been my personal experience, from being in the business for 26 years, and running numerous techs, that most employed service techs are mediocre. The good ones, know they're good and start their own businesses...But, this is probably somewhat unique to my area.

This is absolutely the rule and not the exception.  I've seen stores have a hell of a time keeping their techs because once they're trained and know what they're doing, the ones with heads on their shoulders realize that they can make a lot more money if they start their own thing.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 03:31:19 am »
So I just got home from Salt Lake City. It is about a 6 hour drive. I met webboy today at BullFrog international. I also visited the Arctic Spa dealership in Salt Lake today. I really liked the Arctic Spa I saw today and the neck blaster jet pack on the BullFrog was really cool.

Anyway to get on topic I asked both about service. The Arctic dealer said he would drive down to Vegas and setup the tub and test everything out. After that I could fix it myself because they are so easy to work on. He would talk me through it over the phone and ship the needed parts to me and it would not be a problem with the warranty. BullFrog would have the St. George store about 2 hours away service it or have someone from Salt Lake drive down to service it until a new dealership opens up in Vegas.

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 03:31:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42