What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet Test Question  (Read 5549 times)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Wet Test Question
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:51:18 am »
(With apologies to Fred)

In another thread I posed this question, and made it sound personal.  For that I apologize, Fred.

My question is:

What are the ethics of traveling to a dealer you know you are not going to buy from and wet testing.  The situations I seem to see here are when someone wants to buy a particular model and the local dealer cannot or will not run it.  Then I read about traveling across the state to wet test.  This takes dealer's time and effort with no compensation.

Just curious what you all think.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

Wet Test Question
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:51:18 am »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Wet Test Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:04 am »
(With apologies to Fred)
In another thread I posed this question, and made it sound personal.  For that I apologize, Fred.

My question is:

What are the ethics of traveling to a dealer you know you are not going to buy from and wet testing.  The situations I seem to see here are when someone wants to buy a particular model and the local dealer cannot or will not run it.  Then I read about traveling across the state to wet test.  This takes dealer's time and effort with no compensation.

Just curious what you all think.
I'm not a dealer but have owned a few businesses. When people do things only for compensation then the world gets a little off the mark. Good things come to people who do things for the right reasons. I as a customer are put off by the dealer who says I will only service it if I sold it. If you are a network of a brand of spa's I would think you would look out for each other. I buy a Ford but any Ford dealership will service it. If I help another dealer sell a model then the market share for that brand just increased. Why does Jacuzzi Jim help promote Jacuzzi's on this site? Or others promote what they sell. They take pride in the line and want to help. Call me crazy but I don't think it hurts to promote your line even if you know another store will get the sale. Who knows the reverse may happen soon and you will profit. Just my 2 cents worth....

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:13:43 am »
If everyone is up and front, it isn't unusual for franchises to cooperate.  We know not every dealer can have every configuration ready to go.  Now off to read the original thread you talked about to see what I missed.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24:29 am »
HTD,
I know this doesn't answer your question but...if a dealer does not offer wet testing, then he/she is not worthy of my business...it is a reflection of customer service to me...$.02...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:31:14 am »
I know when I was looking for my spa some places did not allow wet testing because of insurance reasons. They told me because some people do not know they have a medical problem and should not be in a hot tub.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:39:20 am »
I know when I was looking for my spa some places did not allow wet testing because of insurance reasons. They told me because some people do not know they have a medical problem and should not be in a hot tub.

Yeah...these are the same guys that own restaurants that won't cook my steak medium rare...I don't go there either... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:19 am »
My $.02 worth--------

If a consumer is interested in a tub, and I am not saying some people are just out wet testing with no intention to buy, but SERIOUSLY interested, why shouldn't they be offered the chance to wet test?  Wouldn't this be the biggest selling feature of the tub??  Of course, one may find the tub is not quite right.  But, then there would be less buyer remorse.  And, the dealer would have a good reputation of working with the customer and taking great strides to make a sale.  And, as we seem to all agree on, the dealer is half the sale.  

My point of view is, if you are spending 6-15k for a tub, why WOULDN"T you test it??  Maybe I am straying from the original topic--traveling far and wide for tubs...
When we traveled 2.5 hours to look at an Artesian, our intention is to rule it in or out as what we want to buy.  We have never heard back from the dealer (owner) who was not in that evening, and the salesman left a message for him.  All in all, we did not yet wet test it, and probably won't ONLY because there are too many other fees and costs to consider when getting this tub.  

I have found many of the dealers we have spoken with are resisitant ot helping a potential customer wet test, and we have been open with all about what we are looking at.

Dan, to look at the other point of view, the Owners side, I have often thought about the work involved to get at customer to wet test.  I have wondered, as well, the possibility of transferring the water from one tub to the next and does this save? :-/

Let us know what the dealers' really think??

Chrisi
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

wewannahottub

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:42 am »

I think that is a load of cr*p.  If that really was the issue, wouldn't they post a disclaimer??  

Probably just an excuse... ;)

The nurse in me does agree that there are medical issues, but that should be discussed BEFORE an agreement to wet test.  And, have it in writing, if that really is the case, since insurance is involved.  But realistically, what would these "sickly" people do for a bath, then??  Most spas are at a bathwater temperature.  IMO, I mean.  HMMMMM.....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:56:52 am by wewannahottub »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:07:31 am »

Then they should refuse to sell you one without a doctor's approval - or will cash change their "liability"

Back to the original topic - I traveled to another store to wet test a spa (30 minutes) in another state and ended up buying it there.  He was $700 cheaper and my local dealer would even consider changing his price.  He didn't even want to know what price I was asking him to match.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:38:42 am »
Life is too short to squabble over every nickel and dime.  My philosophy has always been to take care of the customer and they will take care of you.  When txwillie was spa shopping last year, I invited him to come to my store and try out one of the spas he was interested in although there was nothing in it for me.  I look at it as an opportunity to make friends and spread good cheer.

I have sold 2 spas in the last week for existing customers of mine and I am trying to sell another.  I receive no remuneration for my efforts, it is simply a gratuity for them having invested in our company at some point and I am happy to oblige.

In the effort of going above and beyond the call of duty, I am meeting today with a Rainbow vacuum cleaner salesman in order to help out one of my customers.  My customer, his brother, his parents, and 3 of his co-workers have all bought HotSpring Spas from me over the last 5 years.  When he called and asked if I would listen to a sales pitch so that he could receive $500 worth of accessories for his unit, I said Okey Dokey.  Of course, while this fella is trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner, I'm going to try and sell him a hot tub.

Tune in for all of the frivolity "When Salesmen Collide".....

http://easttexasspa.dyndns.org/app/main_admin.asp

Login: guest
Password: hotspring

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:27:14 am »
I agree.  Dealers should allow and encourage wet testing.  When possible the spa model customer is considering should be testable.  No question there.  Dealers who don't allow it are losing opportunities.  I get it.

However, that misses the point.

What I hear is that dealers should allow any potential spa shopper to wet test in their store, even if there is no immediate benefit; even if it means helping a competitor sell a spa.  Make no mistake; when 2 dealers or the same brand are battling over a potential sale they are competitors.  I get that also.  I am even ok with it.  I might get the sale.  It is fun to work with people.

But that also misses the point.  What I am hearing is what dealers should do.  I asked what the ethics of the customers should be.

Direct responses I have seen were I went out of state and bought as the closer dealer would not drop price and a distant dealer was part of a chain.  Even these don't address my question.

Perhaps the answer is, its how we shop and there are no ethics involved.  I don't mean it is unethical; simply there is no ethical consideration.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:28:11 am by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:42 am »
It has been my experience that most customers adhere to a very loose set of "ethics" when shopping.  I would conservatively estimate that more than half of the people I have talked to have lied to me at some point in the presentation that I was able to discern.

I almost always ask if the customer has looked at spas previously and many of them say "No".  At some juncture of the conversation, they will mention something that is brand specific and it is obvious that they have lied to me.  As innocuous as that may sound, that's fine, that is their prerogative as they don't owe me a thing, honesty included.  However, I HAVE to be completely honest with them.  One disingenuous word and their trust in me is broken, unlikely to be reforged.  Everything I say to them must be able to withstand scrutiny...and I strive to be accountable in all facets of my business relationships.

Bottom line...customers lie like dogs.  A lot of salesmen lie as well.  The customer can afford to...the salesman can't.  Not for the long haul, leastwise.

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:57:31 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 01:31:43 pm »
Life is too short to squabble over every nickel and dime.  My philosophy has always been to take care of the customer and they will take care of you.  When txwillie was spa shopping last year, I invited him to come to my store and try out one of the spas he was interested in although there was nothing in it for me.  I look at it as an opportunity to make friends and spread good cheer.

Terminator
Term, you the man. This is what I'm talking about......

Scott  :) :) :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
Short story:
A father and son are walking down the sidewalk and pass a drunk who is asking for money so he can eat. The father gives him some money and they walk on. The son then ask his dad, why did you give him the money? You know he will use it to buy more wine. The father replies, I'm only responsible for my actions and I gave him money for food, if he uses it for wine then that is his responsibility.

Another story:
A mother and daughter are backing their truck out of the driveway to go do some shopping at the mall. They back over a cat and kill it. The daughter is upset and dosen't want to leave the cat in the road. They look in the backseat and find a nicely folded Nordstrom sack. They put the cat in the sack and fold the top of sack and place it in the back of the pickup. They pull up in the parking lot and start to go inside they see a lady looking in the back of the pickup and then steal the Nordstrom sack. They follow her at a distance as she walks into the food court area of the mall. When she opens the sack she falls back in her chair and hits her head on the floor and is knocked out. They call the paramedics and they put her on a stretcher and placed the folded sack on her stomach as she is wheeled out of the mall.

Moral of the stories is we get out of life what we put into it. Don't try to make your customers or your sales person honest. Just be responsible for how you conduct your life. I believe that life has away of taking care of those who do things for the right reason.

Oops I just feel off my soapbox. Dang that hurt.....

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wewannahottub

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »
Very deep, Scott, and VERY true.

Hope you didn't bump your head!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42