What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????  (Read 11380 times)

Saved by Grace

Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
My deck builder is coming in an hour to go over the project.  Any hints or tips for us to consider?  Any if I had to do it over I would have done this?

The snow we got last night melted :)

Thanks,
Fred

Hot Tub Forum

Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Deck builder coming in an hour and tips????
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:32:09 pm »
If you are building the deck around the spa create lots of access for the equipment.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Saved by Grace

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:19 pm »
I was thinking of coming up to the front (about half the height of the tub) of it and being able to step in and then surrounging it only a little ways with steps along the side to maybe half way deep....  Or just putting it on a plain deck and putting stairs to get in....

More thoughts....  like running more electric or ????

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:47:41 pm »
Deck half way up is a great application. My fav personally.

One thing to consider is the addition of a cover lifter. Which side, and will you have access to install one after the fact if needed. Extra wire is a good thing if you're thinking you may want to move the spa in the future. What is your foundation for the spa?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:51:09 pm »
Deck half way up is a great application. My fav personally.

Ditto!!!!!!! The fully sunken in tubs look great but are just not as user friendly!!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
 The lift on that spa has to go to the back, due to the raised back, I like sinking them as well, but no matter what brand it has to be accessible.  Now if you have 1 or 2 open sides the spa can always be moved away to repair any thing in the sides and back, the front should always have access.   Removable hatch/panel??

Saved by Grace

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:53:09 pm »
On the J480 the cover can only go one way, towards the back.  I know when the cover lifter is on you lose some of your view, but how much?

Our tub will be an addition to our current deck.  I'm sure he will put in extra piers and beef up the framing.  Any thought on having the deck higher or lower from the ground.  I'm thinking just off the ground to be able to step on and off the perimter as needed.

Thanks....keep them coming.....

clover

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:41:15 am »
Assume for a moment: It is deep winter, the power has been out for 3 days, your spa is frozen, damage has occurred, How do you access it? :-?

Have an exit / access plan ready, accessing the four sides of the spa could become necessary, it is best to think of that NOW.  A cracked light lens may have to be accessed from the bottom of the spa, how would they do that in your set up?

Picture this: a beautiful new 8' spa, recessed into the deck, 6' off the ground, inside a 12' screened in gazebo enclosed, and topped with a cedar shake roof.  A beautiful retreat representing a large investment for therapy and comfort.

A drip developed, the equipment was not readily accessible for inspection, the tub was drained (not winterized) and left for later.  "Later" came 4 months later in the spring when we were called, we started the water to fill and immediately water began to pour out from underneath the spa.  

What are we to do?  The customer is terribly upset with us for our "inability" to fix their problem, 6 foot off the ground, surrounded on all sides by decking unable to remove the panels.  We can elevate 1" at a time and go up, but where, we can't crane it out (roof), we can't work in the gazebo, (92" spa in a 12' gazebo) and the customer is upset with us, (actually, with their lack of planning).  This is now 2 years later and nothing has been done because of COST.

PROPER PLANNING IS CRITICAL WHEN YOU WANT TO BUILD IT IN. ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:44:28 am by clover »
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Lars

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:00:23 am »
Screws and bolts, no nails.

You can access a lot, or change your mind totally on design, when it's put together right.

But with nails, you usually end up throwing away wood.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:20:35 pm »
If I could do it over (and I just might...) I would add a pergola over my tub... ::) oh and I would have waited a bit to put my tub on the new deck so I could stain the wood under the tub...does that make a big difference..probably not, but I know it's not painted under there  :o ;D ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Saved by Grace

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »
We decided to build the deck flat for the first step.  Then place the tub and he will come back after we use it awhile and build removable panels/steps to tie it into our existing deck.  I thought that was a great idea.  We'll have a much better feel for what we want after it's here and we are using it.

Thanks for all the input,
Fred

Spatini

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 01:31:09 pm »
Fred , I think that approach makes a lot of sense and that is the way I will do mine also , I allready have the concrete pad ( top of my pump house ) which is sunk into my tiered landscpae on three sides , after I use the spa for a while , like you I will have a better idea of just what to do for the surrounding area and will not be in such a rush to do it.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:47 pm »
I think you are wise also. Try it out the easiest way, and you may decide it is also the best for you.  
Support your dealer so they can support you!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 03:52:57 pm »
One deck consideration that might be of interest:

If you want to preserve your view from the tub, and, if you will have railing around the edge of your deck, having the tub surface mounted on top of the deck will preserve the view from the tub.  The view from a sunken tub may be partially obscured by the railing.  I planned on a surface mounted installation from the beginning and after seeing the view preserved, I was very happy with the unintentional outcome.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »
I was told the standard is Hot tub 18 inches above deck surface. That way "stepping into" the tub would seem more natural. Also getting out would be easy. I should say that people often comment that it's easy to get into my tub. Avoid a "flush mount"  for safety reasons. This does create a problem though with cover lifters. If you have plastic sides, (like I do) you may have to reinforce the "frame" of the tub so you can screw into it for the lifter. If you have solid sides then you can just screw the lifter into the sides. When flipping the cover open, 18 inches is nice as it doesn't go all the way down and makes it easier when putting it back. I have the rear of the hot tub about 3 foot from my house so it's not like I loose any view to the rear. Also to get the 18 inches, consider what I did. I put heavy duty blocks down on my poured cement and then laid 3/4 inch marine plywood ontop of the blocks. (My deck surrounding the hot tub is a few inches taller than around the rest of my deck. I have a multi leveled deck) Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:09:11 pm by Drifter »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42