What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What would cause a hot tub to get that hot? OUCH!  (Read 6850 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
What would cause a hot tub to get that hot? OUCH!
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »

[size=16]Woman recovering after family's hot tub critically injured her[/size]

By Diane Cochran

BILLINGS, Mont. -- Six weeks after being critically injured in an unusual hot-tub accident, Brenda Hellyer is recovering at home.

Hellyer received second-degree burns over 30 percent of her body on Feb. 3 after the water in her family’s home spa became dangerously overheated.

“I went out like I went out a thousand times to get into the hot tub with my husband,” Hellyer said. “I stepped into it, and it was shockingly hot. I turned to step out, and I fell in.“

Hellyer’s husband, Dan, pulled her out — but not before she was seriously burned from the waist down.

Dan Hellyer said it isn’t known why the water got so hot. “That’s a mystery,” he said.

Water in hot tubs is generally considered to be safe when heated to 104 degrees. At 117 degrees, the risk of injury significantly increases, and at 140 degrees, only three seconds of exposure are needed for second-degree burns.

Hellyer was treated at the burn trauma intensive-care unit at the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City, where her left leg healed well, she said.

But her right leg didn’t, so doctors had to graft skin from her thigh onto her calf.

Back at home in Billings, Mont., the Hellyers spend about seven hours a day changing Brenda’s dressings and in physical therapy.

She hopes to return to her job as a contract nurse for the U.S. Postal Service in a couple of months, but it could be as long as two years before she completely recovers.

The Hellyers do not have health insurance. Fundraisers in Billings and Brenda’s hometown of Malta will help pay her medical bills, which the family hasn’t had time to add up.

“We just haven’t even looked at that yet,” Dan Hellyer said. “We’re just really focused on Brenda.”

Hot Tub Forum

What would cause a hot tub to get that hot? OUCH!
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
Re: What would cause a hot tub to get that hot? OU
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:37:08 pm »
Holy Cow!! :o :o  I hope she is OK. :'(  I wonder what brand... :-?
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
The only time I've seen water get that hot is when the temperature probe is not seated properly and has been pulled back from the well. Instead of reading the temperature right at the water, it's reading it a couple/few inches back and it will keep trying to heat the water to the set temperature.

That's scary that she fell in. Hope all is well for her...

Dipstick

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:11:05 pm »
There are several reasons this can happen:

Pump stuck in high speed (some spas do not turn off the pump when the water overheats [older spas])

Thermostat defective and high limit

relay stuck closed

I have seen many of spa get to over 140F, usually it was the older ones that the pump  was stuck/left in high speed.

I do find it odd how she fell in but only received burns below her waist. I smell a lawsuit coming and in my opinion she deserves nothing. I do feel bad for her though, sometimes stupid hurts.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »
I've seen a few instances were people burn their toe, and fall in...one case where a woman burned her toe, and dropped a small child in.

A lawsuit is pretty much guaranteed.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:05:55 pm »
I smell a lawsuit coming and in my opinion she deserves nothing. I do feel bad for her though, sometimes stupid hurts.

Wow.  
That is really harsh, Dipstick.
I guess she can thank heaven you will not be the Judge if she does decide to file a claim.
I would certainly like to know a bit more information about how and why this happened before announcing my opinion that "she deserves nothing"!  

And she's stupid, too?  Really??

IMHO, for any of us here:  But for the grace of God, go I.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:06:37 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

wewannahottub

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:11:28 pm »
Agreed.  I bet she didn't fall all the way in, just slipped in maybe on the first step?  Thus, explaining her lower extremity injuries and nowhere else... :-/

Anyone here ever take care of a second degree burn??  God help her.

Saved by Grace

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »
In my hot tub journey I've heard or read that one should have a stand alone thermometer in the tub to make sure the temp is accurate.  Does anyone do that and/or recommend it.  Or is it just not practical and it won't actually be used?

Thanks,
Fred

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
In my hot tub journey I've heard or read that one should have a stand alone thermometer in the tub to make sure the temp is accurate.  Does anyone do that and/or recommend it.  Or is it just not practical and it won't actually be used?

Thanks,
Fred

I have a thermometer in my tub, but I rarely open the filter area to look at it when getting in the tub.  I also know that my owner's manual says to check the temperature of the water with my hand before getting in the tub.  But it is something that I have not been able to make a habit of in the 15 years I have owned a tub.  Maybe this poor lady's story will serve as a reminder to us all to do that as a matter of course when getting in our tubs.  Something good from a terrible situation?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:19 pm »
Agreed.  I bet she didn't fall all the way in, just slipped in maybe on the first step?  Thus, explaining her lower extremity injuries and nowhere else... :-/

Anyone here ever take care of a second degree burn??  God help her.

It's far worse than 3rd degree as 3rd degree (to my understanding) effects the nerves so the pain is somewhat muted. ANY burn is horrible and though we do all need to be responsible for our actions, no one deserves to go through that.

If only I was dipstick and never made a poor judgement or a mistake... ::) Nice name choice BTW... :D

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »

I have a thermometer in my tub, but I rarely open the filter area to look at it when getting in the tub.  I also know that my owner's manual says to check the temperature of the water with my hand before getting in the tub.  But it is something that I have not been able to make a habit of in the 15 years I have owned a tub.  Maybe this poor lady's story will serve as a reminder to us all to do that as a matter of course when getting in our tubs.  Something good from a terrible situation?

I use one of the wireless weather stations inside the house and a wireless temp probe in the tub.  It's just habit now to glance at the display and see what it's at (e.g. 102.1).  If it read 140, I'd probably freak out or think the unit was busted, but I'd sure be careful.

wewannahottub

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »
Steve,

you are correct about the 3rd degree burns and the pain--since it is deeper and the nerve endings have been destroyed, there is actually less pain involved.

Second degree are very painful-all of the nerve endings are exposed, and you can develop infection and scarring, and permanent deformity, if it is a deeper injury (but not quite into the subcutaneous tissue.)

During my nurse's training, I had to perform an EKG on a burn patient--I'll never forget--he was on a ventilator, and sedated, and when the leads from the ekg were removed from his chest, tissue chunks came with it.  That is one aspect of nursing I don't think I could perform.  As well as pediatrics.  

Dipstick--hope you never suffer those kind of injuries--and don't put a cup of hot coffee between your legs. :o

Chrisi

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
even though you guys have seen it before, still i would think this is a "one in a million" case?

i mean it would be extremely rare for someone to be burned by hot tub water?

i hope she is able to deal with the pain and injury

i would want to hear alot more before deciding the merits of a lawsuit
but it would seem she may have some type of case if there was a malfunction
and she wishes to pursue it

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:43:31 pm by Zep »

wewannahottub

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »
though you guys even have seen it before, still i would think this is a "one in a million" case?

i mean it would be extremely rare for someone to be burned by hot tub water?

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

Now, I know we all thought "WTF?" when the Mcdonald's lawsuit came around.  I am not one for frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasers, and illnesses making someone incapable of work, so sue the Social Security......

My suggestion is, for you uncaring souls out there--take a pot of water, with a thermometer in it, and heat it up to 140 degrees.  Stick your finger in it.  See what happens.  I HIGHLY DOUBT, that after she stuck her toe in, that she would PURPOSELY JUMP IN, as it seems some of you insinuate--in order to get a lawsuit--(and again, as I strongly say--INSINUATE) after noting that the tub was too hot.

She would have had to have an EXTREME case of Munchausen's for that.

I think parts do fail, and sometimes by user error.  Again, it calls for us all to pay attention.

Remember how you feel when some freak accident happens to you or your loved ones...and pray it doesnt. :'( :'( :'(  I have been there and lost my father.

Be careful all.

Chrisi

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:08:27 pm »
So do we know for sure that she is going to sue?

Scott  :-?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:08:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42