What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 'bout ready to buy- want some opinions on Saratoga  (Read 5962 times)

future_spa-dweller

'bout ready to buy- want some opinions on Saratoga
« on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »
I've enjoyed reading all the posts over the last few weeks and am getting ready to buy my first hot tub.  I've been to 4 show rooms so far and looked at Hot Spring, Caldera, Tiger River, (great dealer-smart & spas only) Sun Valley/Dynasty (clueless new owner of spa/pool dealer), Beachcomber (garden center- not really appealing outside display), and Saratoga (spa and pool dealer- seemed sharp and on top of his game). I also received and viewed the ThermalSpas DVD.

Based on many of the posts, I am eliminating the TS and have narrowed my choice to Caldera, and Saratoga.  Both dealers have been around for 15+ years. The concern I have with Saratoga is that I have not seen any posts on this Company.  The appeal is that I can get a 2007 "leftover" Saratoga Columbian (4-5 person with lounge) for approx $7000. The best deal I can get on the Caldera Tahitian is over a $1000 more.

I don't want to be 'penny wise...', so I would appreciate any comments you may have, especially about Saratoga's quality.

Hot Tub Forum

'bout ready to buy- want some opinions on Saratoga
« on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »

Dipstick

Re: 'bout ready to buy- want some opinions on Sara
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
They are not even in the same league, go with the Caldera if that is your final two choices.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:07:32 pm »
They are not even in the same league, go with the Caldera if that is your final two choices.

I thought they are both Watkins products made by the same people. If so how could they be in different leagues?

Scott  :-?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 06:17:17 pm »
Saratoga makes a good hot tub.  The place I work for sold them for 10 years.  I personally have little knowledge about Caldera since no one around here sells them, but I think they are both in " the same league".  the only difference being that Caldera is a much more well known brand.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »
I don't have any first hand information.  But I recently had a long discussion with one of my regional reps about top-caliber spas (outside of the brand he represents).

He brought up Saratoga first, Hot Springs second (and he was a Hot Springs dealer for over 10 years).

I don't know nearly enough to compare, but this gentleman has repeatedly proven his knowledge of spas.  From his point of view they are in exactly the same league for reliability and construction.

The one negative was the shipping cost to the Western U.S.  I don't think this is a problem for you.

If both dealers are top of their game, then the only deciding factor I see is the actual wet test.

Gotta find YOUR fit.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:12:11 pm »
From everything I've heard and seen, Saratoga seems to be a decent brand.  If I remember correctly, they are part of the Latham group.  Latham is the owner of Pacific Pools.  That is a high end vinyl liner pool.  

Saratoga has just been mainly a regional brand.

Do the wet test and let your body decide from there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:10:58 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:34:43 pm »
I thought they are both Watkins products made by the same people. If so how could they be in different leagues?

Scott  :-?
My bad, I thought you were comparing Caldera and Tiger River...
 :-[

2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:21 pm »
If both dealers are top of their game, then the only deciding factor I see is the actual wet test.

Gotta find YOUR fit.

Amen!! 8-)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

future_spa-dweller

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:43 pm »
This board is very responsive.  Thanks to everyone for your informative  comments.

Now for the 'stupid' question: what is the protocol for the 'wet test'? Do you just show up in your bathing suit, or do you schedule an appointment?  I assume most dealers have a changing room, but do you bring a towel, bath robe and sandals?  How long do you stay?  

Sounds like we should test both manufactures before deciding, so just wanted to get the 'experts' opinion.

Thanks,

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:41:37 pm »
This board is very responsive.  Thanks to everyone for your informative  comments.

Now for the 'stupid' question: what is the protocol for the 'wet test'? Do you just show up in your bathing suit, or do you schedule an appointment?  I assume most dealers have a changing room, but do you bring a towel, bath robe and sandals?  How long do you stay?  

Sounds like we should test both manufactures before deciding, so just wanted to get the 'experts' opinion.

Thanks,

Make appointment.  Try to test the model you are interested in.  Ask the dealers their protocals.  Have fun.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BauerN

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »
How long do you stay?

AS LONG AS IT TAKES YOU TO DECIDE IF IT WOULD BE RIGHT FOR YOU.

One of my three most recent wet tests went over 2 1/2 hours between two spas.  Water and towels were provided for the customers (Term provides beer standard - we're request only).  Because both brothers were shopping, and the technical nature of their questions, two of us stayed to help and give answers.  Both bought (one Sundance, one Bullfrog).
Some customers decide in less than 1/2 hour (rarely).  

It doesn't matter how long they take, or how many questions they have.  They are the customer.  My paycheck (means of living) comes from the money they spend.  They are the bottom line.

Like Hottubdan said:  "have fun".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:57:07 pm by BauerN »

Tailhooker

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 05:40:15 pm »

AS LONG AS IT TAKES YOU TO DECIDE IF IT WOULD BE RIGHT FOR YOU.

One of my three most recent wet tests went over 2 1/2 hours between two spas.  Water and towels were provided for the customers (Term provides beer standard - we're request only).  Because both brothers were shopping, and the technical nature of their questions, two of us stayed to help and give answers.  Both bought (one Sundance, one Bullfrog).
Some customers decide in less than 1/2 hour (rarely).  

It doesn't matter how long they take, or how many questions they have.  They are the customer.  My paycheck (means of living) comes from the money they spend.  They are the bottom line.

Like Hottubdan said:  "have fun".
Would you say about a 1/2 hour is average then... 2.5 hours seems like a long time!

BauerN

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »
Would you say about a 1/2 hour is average then... 2.5 hours seems like a long time!

I can't speak for everyone, but here I would say 1 hour is the average test soaking session (in and out, questions, etc.)

2.5 hours was the longest - but it was recent and a good example, in this case.

Each brother sat in each of the two spas no less than twice.  It was a hard decision at first (for them), but by the end both of them had picked a spa.  

Both of them are very happy with their purchases.  Both of them changed their minds during the wet test.

I kinda wish they would have requested beer for that one...
 ;)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:19:47 pm »
future,
Check this link. Someone else was asking about Saratoga and I posted it when I was first looking at hot tubs back in 2005.
I settled on a Marquis and we still enjoy it. When we tested the Saratoga brand, the jets didn't feel all that powerful compared to other brands.

Good Luck,

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

future_spa-dweller

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:01 pm »
Thanks NE-Phil...I did wet test the Saratoga and it was plenty powerful.  We also tried the Caldera which was very nice, but for $1,200 price difference, we're going with the Saratoga.  The price difference will help pay for the cement platform and the electric hookup.    8-)

Thanks again to all for the comments...I'll let you know how the Saratoga performs.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42