What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ampere v.s. Volts  (Read 8016 times)

Deltanex

Ampere v.s. Volts
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »
Hello everyone,

Does any one know how much Kilowatt a caldera Tahitian uses at 230 volts? We are currently installing our electrical cables and need to know this for our electrical installation. The dealer is somewhat slow so i thought lets ask the ones thet helped me over the past few days.

Regards,

Alexander

Hot Tub Forum

Ampere v.s. Volts
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »

Merlin

• Just here to help.
Re: Ampere v.s. Volts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:19:50 pm »
our in store test show that it pulls an average of 280kw per month at 102 degrees with an avg ambient temp of 68 degrees.

btw why do you need to know the kilowatts for the electrical install?

Did your dealer give you the pre-delivery booklet with the wiring diagram?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:22:49 pm by Merlin »
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:16 pm »
I see that spas use 220V, 230V, and 240V systems. What's up with that?

220, 221, whatever it takes......
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 06:43:37 pm »
220v, 230v, and 240v are all labels for the same type of voltage.  As with 110v, 115v, and 120v.

Realistically, within their groupings, there is little difference.
Actual voltage differences (when minor) are common and of little or no effect on the systems they power.

Deltanex,
I would also suggest looking at an online owners' manual.  I'd try to answer your question, but I am not a Caldera expert.  If someone else will post the basic requirements (disconnects and amperages) - I would be happy to recommend the proper size wire.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:00:33 pm by Merlin »
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:58:39 pm »
This is an interesting question as an electrician should have some idea about wiring a large electrical device.

If you assume a 60 Amp 230 Volt device (a large tub) then the Volt Amps (AC version of Watts) is 60 x 230 = 13,800VA which is 13.8KVA

This seems to go more in depth if anyone cares to look except they are not giving specific calculations except for a computer:   http://www.etasys.com/Main/ABCs/CalcVAWATTS.asp

Deltanex

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:03:36 am »
Well let me explain my question al little more.

I understand that our Spa (to be..) needs an 220-230-240 volts connections with respectively 25 and 16 Amps.

Our home has an one fase main hookup of 40 amps and has 7 breakers for the inhome connections. We now have the following problem. When installing the Spa we wil add two breakers one of 25 and one of 16 Amps.

The question is; Will our main connection be able to provide al the power consumption or will it blow our meter of the wall?

Regards,

Alexander

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 07:57:08 am »
A 40 amp main breaker is small, really small.

What else are you running electrically wise in the house?

Anything large - AC units, electric dryer, electric stove is drawing a lot of electricity.

Deltanex

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:29 am »
I also thought is was small.
We are using about 12 Kilowatts a day.

Whe use that to run our washingmachine, dryer, dishwasher, television, beamer, tree computers, fridge, oven and some lights. We do not use that many at ones. Whe do however use gas for cooking and heating.

BauerN

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »
Wow, 40 amp main is really small.

Is there any way to have it upgraded?  That may be the best option.

The total requirements on the spa exceed 40 amps - but, it is not likely to truly draw very close to 40 amps very often.

If no change is made, you will probably experience an increase in your main breaker tripping.  I can't say how often, but your total household amp draw will at times be more than your main is designed to allow.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »
I also thought is was small.
We are using about 12 Kilowatts a day.

Whe use that to run our washingmachine, dryer, dishwasher, television, beamer, tree computers, fridge, oven and some lights. We do not use that many at ones. Whe do however use gas for cooking and heating.

Oven and dryer are the big draw ... they are probably 20 amp each, maybe more, I don't know what a beamer is so that may or may not be a heavy draw item. Everything else is not too bad.

One of the problems is as you approach the capacity of a breaker - any breaker, it starts to heat up. As it heats up it is more prone to failure as it fails more often it tends to get weaker. It sounds like you aren't in the States but here we have an 80% rule on any circuit except for the main breaker.

Upgrading the main breaker is the way to go.

BauerN

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 06:30:29 pm »
Vinny,

That is a great explanation!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:53:35 pm »
What part of the UK are you in?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Deltanex

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:18:30 am »
Thanks sofar.

We are living in the Netherlands. It is possible to upgrade the main however that will mean we upgrade from a one fase system to a three fase. I do not know the implications of that so i am a bit reluctant towards that.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 01:49:58 pm »
If you really have 40 amp service to your home, you're very under powered, and I'd not consider installing anythning like a spa.  Typically, a 220v spa would require a 50 amp (mine needs a 60 amp) breaker, and you'd be very close to demanding more power than you have for supply.
 I'd get a service up grade to no less than 100 amps.  

Houses in this part of the contry can't be built these days with less than 150 amp service.  And 200 is not uncommon.

Thing might be a bit different in your country, however.  But do get the opinion of a qualified electrician.  It's not worth risking your home to a fire.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 01:49:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42