What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Chemistry help - very High CYA  (Read 3859 times)

RK23

Water Chemistry help - very High CYA
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »
I made an earlier post about my spa's apparently high chlorine demand.  I took the forum's advice and purchased a Taylor K-2005 kit.  From what I can tell, my Ph is quite low (6.8-7.0) and my CYA is off the charts high.  This is likely due to ineffectiveness of my chlorine based on historically low Ph (apparently i don't do well with test strips...)

Is a drain and refill the best option at this point (it has been over 4 months on this initial fill)?  

Also, what are the potential consequences of a very high CYA level?  Could there be any long term damage to the tub?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

Hot Tub Forum

Water Chemistry help - very High CYA
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Water Chemistry help - very High CYA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »
Russ,

Do drain and refill...4 months is enough even with perfect water.  I wouldn't worry about the CYA doing any longterm damage.  Thank goodness you got the Taylor...well worth the money especially considering how excellent the booklet is... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

RK23

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:08 pm »
The booklet is great.  So on a drain and refill, what is the recommended cleaning procedure?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:46 pm »
Just did mine last Sunday:
1.  Drained and refilled
2.  Opened equipment bay including controller cabinet and did a visual inspection.
3.  Wiped down waterline with a Tub Rub
4.  Applied 303 to pillows
5.  Applied 303 to cover, all sides
6.  Added 3 tsp. dichlor
7.  Jumped in after temp hit 100...aaaahhhhh....
Started around noon, finished process about 3 or so, including beer breaks, and was soaking at sunset with a martini!
 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

RK23

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »
Thanks for the step by step, sounds too easy!  I'm in Massachusetts, so here's hoping it's relatively warm this weekend...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42